Tauerntreffen,Austria January 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Vader

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Ok first up i want to point out that it was a post here on ABR Forum which brought the Tauernrally to my attention.I saw a pic of a Tent buried in snow which sparked my interest.
Tauernrally is a bike meet in Austria every year in January,bit of camping up on a ski hut about 1500m up in the Alps.The last few miles are only possible with a side car outfit or/and normal bikes with chaines

So after a year of planning and general fluffing about we actually set of last week Tuesday.

My Mate Jason came over the night before from wales and we caught a early Train over to France on our way to Mainz,Germany for our first stop.
We met up with AndyB in the Youth hostel,dropped our gear in the room and went into the Altstadt for a meal
Us on the Train to France

Next day was only about 300 miles down to Passau which should have been boring but first we had a little traffic jam which i used to show of my filtering skills (5years commuting into London had to come in handy one day).Since i was hooked up to J via intercom all i heard was"Oh that was close,you nearly touched the truck Bojo" and some more drivvel like that.
Once we cleared the bit of traffic we resumed normal altitude and cruising speed till i noticed(at 80mph) that J's one panier was bouncing along the floor only held on by a Bungee strap.I screamed into the intercom"Stop,J,Stop now",AndyB was flashing his lights to scared to come closer in case the panier came off completly.
How that one Bungee held a fully loaded panier i will never understand.
That was all the damage,a bit of scuffed plastic

After we all calmed down a bit we went on to Passau.
I was getting worried cause so far we had not seen any snow and i didn't fancy travelling that far to camp in the mud.
What i didn't realize when i booked was that there was a brewery next door with a lovely pub and good food

I also made a beginners mistake by fitting new heated grips to my bike before a big ride.
Hmm that did smart a bit all the way

Next day of we went into Austria :thumleft: