BMW R1200 GS rear brake Caliper screws design issue. Warning & feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you had failure on your BMW caliper screws

• No, but I checked mine and there is a problem. I will describe this in the thread below

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I checked mine and they are fine

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • Yes mine has failed. I will post what happened in the thread

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Heimer

Bachelor Dog
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I will do a more detailed post later, as I am waiting for a report from the person this happened to.

If you look at the attached picture, you will see the rear brake caliper and the two screws that attach it.

This friend of mine fell after the rearward caliper screw on his bike came out. It loosened itself. The caliper fllipped over forward and stripped his wheel of all the spokes.

Result: The rear wheel came off at 140 and he had a serious off - Luckily he did not hit too many things and is still with us to talk about it.

Being an engineer, he saw that this is not the correct type of screw for the application (it is a full threaded screw) and with the resulting stresses on the caliper, failure is a matter of time, because the judder and stress caused by braking, is applied directly on a screw thread, causing movement and wear.

I hope I described this as accurately as I understood him. I will update this post when he emails me the full analysis and the pictures he took.

He is taking legal action presently

But in the meantime we would like to know to whom  this has happened (Vote in the poll). A brief investigation shows that quite a few people has had failure on the caliper screws.

And also people - please go check your calipers screws and see if they are OK and if the hole has been worn out

The torque setting is listed as 24Nm on the 2005 Reprom CD

Attachments

• caliper-screws.jpg
    caliper-screws.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 581