Valeo Starter motor clicks but doesn't turn - FIXED with R828 Corsa starter!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceS

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R100GS / Kalahari
Hi all,

My PD Classic is my daily ride to work, when it's not raining, which has meant that the past few weeks have been fantastic. I love my ride to and from work!

Last night, when leaving the office, I hit the starter button and all I got was a loud click. I assumed the battery was a bit run down. Perhaps the diode board is failing etc. I made use of the parking garage ramp and got the bike started quite easily. When I got home, I immediately put the battery onto the trickle charger. This morning, the charger indicated that the battery was fully charged, which surprised me, because 12 hours, on a 1.5amp charger is not usually enough to charge a 32ah battery...so I was suspicious...and suspicions were confirmed a few moments later. Hitting the starter button just gives a loud click. It's one of the last models of airhead so I think it has a valeo starter.

I'll get the tank off tonight, and the front and top covers of the engine. I seem to remember reading that the magnets in the valeo starters sometimes come un-glued :-(. I'll check the diode board mountings and connections.

What else can I look for and test to identify the problem?