The Alternative Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy660

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
We all met as planned.
17 riders in all.
Many thanks for such a good turn out. I`m sure the ride was enjoyed by all.

We left at approx 07h45 after waiting for Pistonpete ( Not topbox) for a change !

We had some instruction from Leftless on how to corner your bike.And I must say , it helped me immencely during the course of the day.
We stopped and tryed out our instruction on a corner on the Occudale road.

At the end of Occudale road, at the intersection , a band of Haleys Commet followers passed by.All in the correct formation.
This was too tempting, so some of us chassed them down and  invaded their ranks with our Yamaha`s , and KTM`s, Well just untill our turn off to the Gravel.

We did the Noob ride and dissapointingly , all the water has dryed up.
So there was no falls here today.

We went through Kalbaskraal to Abbotsvale where we proceeded to cross the N7 onto a dirt road which led us to the first Section of the Spoornet Service Roads

This section was without incident but with much enjoyment.

The second section however , collected a few prisoners  .A good few near misses too .
The 2 young laddies on the gs(Wes friends) went down twice.Fortunately nothing serious.
Yellow Fever apparently went down , but picked his bike up so quickly that there were no witnesses.

But the loose sand in the dip and the bad rutts up the hill were not a very good combination , and many of us were caught unawares.

Lonerider showed us how you cartwheel a GS1150. Fortunately he only bruised his foot(which I hope will be fine)But his bike`s rear frame  was bent quite badly. This didnt stop him from staying with us untill we made Moorreessberg.
Driving through the very long reeds was a new expieriance for all.

We stopped at Moorreessberg for a cold one.There the day was getting a bit long and many of us had to take the shortcut home.
Which left , GoGirl , XT660R (myself) ,Mark hardy , Wayneh , Ktm Bigger and  Leftless.

We left Moorreessberg and made for Darling at high speed.

As we enterd Darling we I got a call from Topbox who`s chain had broken.Wayneh had a spare masterlink.
So we did the Traintrack past the golf cource.
I picked up a nail in my back tyre here somewhere.We tryed tyreweld and plugging the tyre to no avail.

So it was decided ,
Ktm bigger and leftless went to help Topbox.
Wayneh went home to fetch the trailer and Mark Hardy and GoGirl spent some relaxing time in the sun waiting for the recovery vehicle. (Many thanks to Wayneh for that )

And after a quick Draght at Doodles,we were home.

Once again , Many thanks to all.It really was a great ride.And it was nice to have new riders along.

I will post pics tomorrow.Pc usb ports dont work at home    Grrrrr !