HID, LAMPF issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikie

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I installed 2 HID units on my bike
The High Beam unit works perfect, fires up and looks great, low Beam seems to only fire up when it feels like it, after installing I tested it and it took 2 tries to fire up, but it worked. Now it flashes once and switches off and I get the LAMPF error, no matter how many times I try restarting it just does that.

So I did some searching and found the link below:

https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/15-accessories/3730-1-off-hid-light-kit-issues-3.html

They say a 35w and 55w unit makes a difference, I have several units at home and will see if I have a 35w and try that, I dont feel optimistic about it though.

They also make reference to a HID Canbus Decoder, What is this? Does anyone know what it does? Where can I get one and what does it cost? I also thought of installing a switch on the Low voltage side of the power wire to switch off and on if it doesnt fire up, would that make any difference?

I am not sure how the Canbus works and if it just stops providing power after the light has error-ed out??

Can anyone help?