Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Carrying weapons on bikes. (A poll to see how you guys feel about it)  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Eddy81

Do you guys think it's smart to have weapons with while on a bike?  Can it be useful when commuting or just for long trips?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:25:07 pm by Eddy81 »

Offline Louis Photo

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Re: Carrying weapons on bikes. (A poll to see how you guys feel about it)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:42:49 pm »
I carry pepper spray with me, not only when I'm riding my bike, but also in my car or when I'm hiking.

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:59:59 pm »
I have pepper spray too, but always forget the stuff at home!  I reckon that stuff will give you such an advantage in a problem situation. 

Offline BFG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Ride- crash-fix-repeat
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 01:10:50 pm »
I carry pepper spray with me, not only when I'm riding my bike, but also in my car or when I'm hiking.
I think that that is as far as a self defense weapons should go or a tazer at a push.
The way I see is that having any sort of weapon could easily escalate a situation beyond control. If on a bike rather just ride on and get on with your day.

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 01:22:16 pm »
some guy got killed for carrying a weapon.
today.
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline pielas

• Moderator: Hunting and Shooting Section
  • Race Dog
  • Don't dream it. Be it.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 01:25:49 pm »
today.

From the current facts it seem some other guy is currently still alive because he also carried a weapon  :pot:
5. Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the
skid demon!  --- 1962 Honda instruction manual

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 01:27:20 pm »
today.

From the current facts it seem some other guy is currently still alive because he also carried a weapon  :pot:

it appears so, yes..........
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline BFG

• Race Dog
  • Ride- crash-fix-repeat
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:33:06 pm »
So if neither of them were carrying weapons then they'd both be going home this afternoon to spend the weekend with their families.

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:37:39 pm »
So if neither of them were carrying weapons then they'd both be going home this afternoon to spend the weekend with their families.

:thumleft: :thumleft:
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Offline Winston

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Empangeni
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:41:42 pm »
Carrying a gun with you will be more of a helluva nuisance than anything else. You have to ensure that it is secure at all times. For example; in a campsite and you in a shower. Where do you keep it safe in terms of legal requirements ?You are also not allowed (in terms of law)  to handle or be in  possesion of a gun while consuming alcohol. What do you do with the dam thing while you have a cold one ? Rather use your common sense and avoid trouble. A bike easily out accelerates a car so you got a tool to get away from trouble. The cons outweighs the pros.

Offline pielas

• Moderator: Hunting and Shooting Section
  • Race Dog
  • Don't dream it. Be it.
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 01:49:48 pm »

Maybe, you are speculating. You don't need a gun to kill someone, might have taken longer and been more bloody without weapons, but results could have been similar.  Fixed it: "So if neither of them were carrying weapons then they might have gone home this afternoon to spend the weekend with their families.
5. Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the
skid demon!  --- 1962 Honda instruction manual

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 01:53:30 pm »
This whole argument gets me .... guns don't kill people, people kill people. I carry a firearm, I am trained and competent and have years of experience handling and using guns. Further more it is my right to bear arms.
It is not about the guns that kill or the stupidity, it is a fact that there are to many people out there that carry guns and think they are rambo and pull a gun for any stupid reason.
With training and knowledge and experience comes restraint and  knowing what the situation is and when to to do what.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 02:11:21 pm »
This whole argument gets me .... guns don't kill people, people kill people. I carry a firearm, I am trained and competent and have years of experience handling and using guns. Further more it is my right to bear arms.
It is not about the guns that kill or the stupidity, it is a fact that there are to many people out there that carry guns and think they are rambo and pull a gun for any stupid reason.
With training and knowledge and experience comes restraint and  knowing what the situation is and when to to do what.
+1

Pass this way once!

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 02:13:38 pm »
I fully agree with the statement: "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

But I wonder if that's not maybe applicable in a premeditated murder or robbery.  I think that maybe in a situation where people loose their heads completely because of rage, they are not thinking clearly or not at all actually.  Acting purely on rage.  Firearms in the mix with a situation like this will never be a good thing

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 02:16:15 pm »
So yes, in the en it's still the person pulling the actual trigger, and there aren't allot of people that would loose it so badly to actually shoot someone.  So I reckon a firearm comes with a great responsibility.

Offline Dora 9

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 02:16:53 pm »
I used to carry a sidearm on my hip while riding. One day I discovered that my leather jacket was riding up in the slipstream exposing the firearm. If your sidearm is not concealed it makes you a potential target. If you do carry be sure it's concealed and secure. I don't carry anymore.

Online Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 02:18:21 pm »

Maybe, you are speculating. You don't need a gun to kill someone, might have taken longer and been more bloody without weapons, but results could have been similar.  Fixed it: "So if neither of them were carrying weapons then they might have gone home this afternoon to spend the weekend with their families.
I would guess "probably would have gone home" possibly with a fat lip at worst. The mere sight of a drawn firearm would escalate the situation 10x in my opinion.
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 02:19:00 pm »
I fully agree with the statement: "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

But I wonder if that's not maybe applicable in a premeditated murder or robbery.  I think that maybe in a situation where people loose their heads completely because of rage, they are not thinking clearly or not at all actually.  Acting purely on rage.  Firearms in the mix with a situation like this will never be a good thing

Same could be said of a knife/ base ball bat/ umbrella you name it. We live in a society where we have to blame something or someone .........AKA our leader Jacob Zuma.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline g1_

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 02:27:27 pm »
If a gun back fires and kills the person holding the gun, was it the gun or people that killed the person.

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 02:33:54 pm »
Yeah it is a problem with the situation that we live in.  SA is a pressure cooker.  

Wonder if a person might not think twice about unleashing with a knife or something else that requires actual physical contact with the other person.  The primal reaction of self preservation might overrule the rage reaction?  IE.  climbing out of my car and hitting the person with the baseball bat might work, but what if he grabs a knife and stabs me(the mind makes these types of decisions so quickly when acting in instinct that one won't even know it's going on) Where with a gun, you can sit in your car or whatever and actually not put your own life at risk, so the decision of shooting is easier.  

But I say again, obviously a responsible person that can control their tempers will never just pull a gun and shoot someone.