Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Carrying weapons on bikes. (A poll to see how you guys feel about it)  (Read 3602 times)

Offline K-9

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
gents

it is not how competent or years of experience handling or using guns or right to bear arms.

what I have a problem with is the way the firearm is carried:  so many times I see somebody with firearm in a proper holster, securely fastened with belt on the hip, etc. 

So far so good. 

Now sit on a bike in traffic, lean forward so everybody can see the weapon, firearm exposed; bike in gear, in 1st gear ready to pull off, clutch in, facing forward watching waiting for traffic or light to change.

pedestrians walking in front and behind.  NOW I walk behind you, like everybody else, so you don't notice me until too late,  I push your bike over,  distract you, grab your weapon. before you have recovered or put it in neutral I am gone.  are you going to chase me, remember I now have your weapon.

It is one thing to drive and control a weapon - it is another thing to control a bike shoot and ride at the same time.

so if you carry a firearm on a bike carry it differently, shoulder holster - longer jacket, etc.  But have in in a way you can get to it.  I know people that carry it in a top box??  stop bike remove key, open top box, dig for weapon, etc!!

depending on size and type of weapon a tank bag can easily be opened while stationary or on the move, weapon can be used and placed back in bag,  ride hard and get to weapon again. also it is in front at all times while on bike.  place in holster when off bike?

once again nothing against firearms, I carry depending on where I am going.
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline silvrav

Referring to weapon I will split over 2.

Blades - I always carry a knife with me, sometimes 2 depending where I am heading.

Firearms - Never had the urge or need, but where I would carry is if I know I am going on a looooong distance trip, hunting, camping where it is unsafe (remember, not just 2 legged but for 4 legged and no legged animals as well).

From home to work....see no need to carry a firearm

Offline mox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
Na guns are not worth it, imagine you have GAD and you donít know it, you will soon be sitting in Weskoppies for shooting a blonde through the crappers door.

Always have a knife on me but that is for a multitude of reasons.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 02:57:07 pm by mox »
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline jackD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
On the way to work on the N2 by CapeTown airport going noware in trafic a guy opend my door and stabbed me looking for a phone or laptop, I have a gun In the Safe at home but even if I carried it It would not have helped, Thinking about it I may have been so angry afterwards and fired at him while he was running away, and if I did shoot him I would be the one a fault because the attack is over.

I dont think it is a good thing to carry it on the bike, as it is a constant burden, and if somthing happens it happens so quick that it wont help anyway. My 2C

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
gents

it is not how competent or years of experience handling or using guns or right to bear arms.

what I have a problem with is the way the firearm is carried:  so many times I see somebody with firearm in a proper holster, securely fastened with belt on the hip, etc. 

So far so good. 

Now sit on a bike in traffic, lean forward so everybody can see the weapon, firearm exposed; bike in gear, in 1st gear ready to pull off, clutch in, facing forward watching waiting for traffic or light to change.

pedestrians walking in front and behind.  NOW I walk behind you, like everybody else, so you don't notice me until too late,  I push your bike over,  distract you, grab your weapon. before you have recovered or put it in neutral I am gone.  are you going to chase me, remember I now have your weapon.

It is one thing to drive and control a weapon - it is another thing to control a bike shoot and ride at the same time.

so if you carry a firearm on a bike carry it differently, shoulder holster - longer jacket, etc.  But have in in a way you can get to it.  I know people that carry it in a top box??  stop bike remove key, open top box, dig for weapon, etc!!

depending on size and type of weapon a tank bag can easily be opened while stationary or on the move, weapon can be used and placed back in bag,  ride hard and get to weapon again. also it is in front at all times while on bike.  place in holster when off bike?

once again nothing against firearms, I carry depending on where I am going.

Luckily I carry a backup too, so I will still fuck them up.
OFF ROAD CYCLES:
012 333 6443/087 808 3649/ 087 808 3650
WhattApp 082 823 4714 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
I carried during our December 2013 trip since I did not know where we would be when and at what time.

With that comes big responsibility for sure, and if you are not prepared for that rather leave your firearm in the safe or get rid of it.

I made sure no-one could see I am carrying (or if anyone noticed I did not notice them noticing anyway).

It remains a personal choice, but if you do carry be prepared for the responsibility and possible consequence.

Offline upsidedown

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
I carried during our December 2013 trip since I did not know where we would be when and at what time.

With that comes big responsibility for sure, and if you are not prepared for that rather leave your firearm in the safe or get rid of it.

I made sure no-one could see I am carrying (or if anyone noticed I did not notice them noticing anyway).

It remains a personal choice, but if you do carry be prepared for the responsibility and possible consequence.
Agree, I carry when doing solo on long trips, Transkei etc, in tank bag, easily accesable. had to use it only once.
On plastic and riding with GF or kids, carry it on tool bag that is around my waist.
I would rather have it when I need it then need it and not have it on me.

I am against holsters on bikes.

Offline ss

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
when possible dont carry. Every action has reaction and you cannot always control that situation.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog

Agree, I carry when doing solo on long trips, Transkei etc, in tank bag, easily accesable. had to use it only once.
On plastic and riding with GF or kids, carry it on tool bag that is around my waist.

I carry when we ride the quarry since I have needed a show of force there before.

I would really prefer not to, but on the other hand a gun in the safe at home does not help much when you need to negotiate with nasty people.

Since I might need access quickly I carry in a holster on my waist pack belt.
Have been carrying like this for a few years now, lots of falls later and no issue.

Offline Gingerball

Reckon this will do?:
Time for an Adventure

Offline upsidedown

• Pack Dog

I carry when we ride the quarry since I have needed a show of force there before.

I would really prefer not to, but on the other hand a gun in the safe at home does not help much when you need to negotiate with nasty people.

Have been carrying like this for a few years now, lots of falls later and no issue.

Hey buddy I am not here to judge you or tell you what you should do, you protect your life and that of your loved ones and bugger the criminal or any other person who does not want to caryy they have no say in what you do...in my experience...quite vast...these are the same people who will run to you when the shit hits the fan and usually who will moan afterwards how bad things in the country are..it is what it is..you protect yourself and your loved ones, no one else is going to...you are adult enough to know what suits you, just do it.
I also carry in the quarry
The best weapon anyone can use is right between your two ears and in my case that is immidiatly available  :lol8:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:34:10 am by upsidedown »

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog

Hey buddy I am not here to judge you or tell you what you should do, you protect your life and that of your loved ones and bugger the criminal or any other person who does not want to caryy they have no say in what you do...in my experience...quite vast...these are the same people who will run to you when the shit hits the fan and usually who will moan afterwards how bad things in the country are..it is what it is..you protect yourself and your loved ones, no one else is going to...you are adult enough to know what suits you, just do it.
The best weapon anyone can use is right between your two ears and in my case that is immidiatly available  :lol8:

:thumleft: did not read your post as judgmental at all, all good.

Daughter and I had an incident in the quarry where the Glock in my hand probably made the difference between us leaving unharmed vs. not.

We try avoid potential problem areas and confrontation, not drawing a weapon is always first prize.

Offline upsidedown

• Pack Dog

:thumleft: did not read your post as judgmental at all, all good.

Daughter and I had an incident in the quarry where the Glock in my hand probably made the difference between us leaving unharmed vs. not.

We try avoid potential problem areas and confrontation, not drawing a weapon is always first prize.
Agree 100%
Better to walk away with a threat then to have to pull and use it and for months and years after have to try explain your actions.
Protect those you love and stuff the rest.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
What I find amusing is on the Advrider forum, which has a high proportion of Americans is that any discussion about a planned trip seems to be incomplete without a discussion about the appropriate gun to take on the trip.

If you are going through Alaska, would a shotgun or 375 magnum be better?  (For bears you know).  And which particular shotgun or hand gun, what load, what holster (there was along discussion on how best to carry a shotgun on a bike), should it be on the tank, or handlebars (fast draw), should you have another holster for around camp.  What about a back-up (if surprised in your sleeping bag)?  Where should that be carried on the hip or ankle?

And that's just for the bears!   :biggrin:

Then the discussion switches to humans.....

Anyway.  Here in SA sadly the dilemma is a bit more real  :-\
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline upsidedown

• Pack Dog
What I find amusing is on the Advrider forum, which has a high proportion of Americans is that any discussion about a planned trip seems to be incomplete without a discussion about the appropriate gun to take on the trip.

If you are going through Alaska, would a shotgun or 375 magnum be better?  (For bears you know).  And which particular shotgun or hand gun, what load, what holster (there was along discussion on how best to carry a shotgun on a bike), should it be on the tank, or handlebars (fast draw), should you have another holster for around camp.  What about a back-up (if surprised in your sleeping bag)?  Where should that be carried on the hip or ankle?

And that's just for the bears!   :biggrin:

Then the discussion switches to humans.....
Anyway.  Here in SA sadly the dilemma is a bit more real  :-\

The only bear i have ever seen is the brown bear in my bum.... tra la la, tra la la

But yes we are unique that we mainly protect ourselves from each other.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:31:40 pm by upsidedown »