GEARING on 650 L

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUZZY

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT225
I have read on an earlier post about going 1 tooth smaller on the front (15 down to a 14 ?) Anyway, we all know that in stock form, first gear is too high for very slow technical riding and the gap to second is too big. I have'nt ridden a bike with the smaller front sprocket but I would guess that it is a huge improvement. I am still concerned though that the sacrifice of revving much higher in top gear for road cruising (and oil consumtion) is not worth it.
Has anybody ever done or investigated the possibility of changing the gears in the box ( like I put WR gears in my YZ 250T). The first gear was very low and top gear was warp speed.
I would say the ultimate would be the low first and second gear, third about where it is now, and fourth and fifth slightly higher than in stock form. I certainly believe the bike even with the stock pipe and jetting is more than capable of pulling a higher top gear with lower revs and better consumption.
Waiting in antica....pation!