Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wilddog style comparing the XT660Z to the 690 Enduro R.  (Read 15057 times)

Offline dirtyXT

Re: Wilddog style comparing the XT660Z to the 690 Enduro R.
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2014, 09:16:21 am »
 :3some: pity i thought the debate between a Z and 690 would have ended a lot better in which we all agree and have a beer...  :deal: :imaposer: :peepwall:
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2014, 09:21:15 am »
Ja but which beer is the best...... >:D

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2014, 09:24:17 am »
I bet u haters listen to Bieber too hey...

what a seriously kark thread, mods delete it ...please ...

Moet die mods die thread sommer delete oor dat U Hoogheid nie van hom hou nie  ??? ::) ::)

As ons 'n thread moes delete elke keer wat iemand kak praat oor 'n bwm was daar fokol op die forum so as jy dit nie like nie, lees iets anders

I bet u love Bieber too hey ...

Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2014, 09:25:00 am »
hands down. without a doubt. above any other beer ever made in the history of beers since the beginning of beer 'windy corner' is the winner. anyone else who disagrees with that doesn't know beer. :pot:
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2014, 09:25:39 am »

:spitcoffee:
Let's wait, Daan will soon tell....

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2014, 09:34:00 am »
I bet u haters listen to Bieber too hey...

what a seriously kark thread, mods delete it ...please ...
Moet die mods die thread sommer delete oor dat U Hoogheid nie van hom hou nie  ??? ::) ::)

As ons 'n thread moes delete elke keer wat iemand kak praat oor 'n bwm was daar fokol op die forum so as jy dit nie like nie, lees iets anders

I bet u love Bieber too hey ...

I like him more than people who never contribute to ride reports, never have constructive input, yet still shit on everything else  :deal:

(Oh and if you don't get the hint, I am talking about you)

Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2014, 09:37:38 am »
I like this debate thank you

And actually I agree with most 2SD is saying.  The XTZ is a new bike with an old engine - so its 50% 'newly designed'.  Is that a bad thing?  By all means no.  Nothing wrong with an adequate older but proven motor in a new guise.  The KLR's motor imo is not 100% adequate at altitude for highway riding.  I had one for nearly 5 years - but it was the old shape one.  the 660 is a better performing one.

If I had money to through around I would buy a XTZ without a doubt.  Think the bike is ideal for d/s touring.  But spending more that R100k on a old mill in a new guise is not for me.  

The 690 imo is something special.  Its unique and more suited to Africa's 'hardebaarde' who were bitching about bikes only being made for Europe's streets.  Last time something like this came out was the 640 and XR650r.  Yamaha does not have anything in this market.  The are focusing on the 450 market in this guise it seems?

I would like both the 690 and XTZ in my garage if possible. But will still use the XR4 or Xr250 at makekeng's trails though.

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2014, 09:40:18 am »

And actually I agree with most 2SD is saying.  The XTZ is a new bike with an old engine - so its 50% 'newly designed'.  Is that a bad thing?  By all means no.  Nothing wrong with an adequate older but proven motor in a new guise.  The KLR's motor imo is not 100% adequate at altitude for highway riding.  I had one for nearly 5 years - but it was the old shape one.  the 660 is a better performing one.

If I had money to through around I would buy a XTZ without a doubt.  Think the bike is ideal for d/s touring.  But spending more that R100k on a old mill in a new guise is not for me.  

The 690 imo is something special.  Its unique and more suited to Africa's 'hardebaarde' who were bitching about bikes only being made for Europe's streets.  Last time something like this came out was the 640 and XR650r.  Yamaha does not have anything in this market.  The are focusing on the 450 market in this guise it seems?

I would like both the 690 and XTZ in my garage if possible. But will still use the XR4 or Xr250 at makekeng's trails though.
Draad sitter :peepwall:
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Online jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2014, 09:44:07 am »

:spitcoffee:
Let's wait, Daan will soon tell....

Look, these dopey old farts still dreaming of the good old days of German/ British/ Belgian/Namibian beer will eventually have to concede that Japanese beer is best.
And the Chinese may flood the market with their cheap and nasty rubbish , but it will be many years before they come right.  :imaposer:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

"They" say I confuse wanting to stay young with wanting things to stay as they were when I was young.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2014, 09:45:38 am »
When the 660Z came out, I actually wanted one with everything in me. I tried to arange a test ride for months but Yamaha didn't come to the party. I then ended up buying a 640 for about 40% of the price of a new Z

EDIT: And it was the best forced decision I ever made  ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:46:36 am by Dwerg »
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2014, 09:50:22 am »

draad trekker

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2014, 09:56:26 am »

draad trekker
Wooly, help gou hier, o ja wag...
Bedoel jy draad trekker soos in draad kar of treker soos in Carrots?

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2014, 10:01:30 am »

draad trekker
Wooly, help gou hier, o ja wag...
Bedoel jy draad trekker soos in draad kar of treker soos in Carrots?

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2014, 10:23:38 am »
When the 660Z came out, I actually wanted one with everything in me. I tried to arange a test ride for months but Yamaha didn't come to the party. I then ended up buying a 640 for about 40% of the price of a new Z

EDIT: And it was the best forced decision I ever made  ;D

and we can still tell how acid you are about it
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline lecap

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2014, 10:29:16 am »
...1. It is newly designed, from the ground up
7. It has factory fitted and replaceble side-impact panels, a new and valuable foresight on a bike like this.

:laughing4:

The XT660Z engine is so new it still shares components with the XT500. And you dare to ridicule KLR's ??? The Minarelli 660 is an upgraded and bored out XT500 mill with bolt on liquid cooling :evil6:

The KLR mill being related to Kawasakis 1984's DOHC 16V liquid cooled inline fours originates almost a decade later than the XT :D

Do you call the BMW G650Sertao a newly designed bike or an old cart horse with a shoeshine job ???

The side impact panels are at least as new as the Honda ST1100 Pan European. 24 years to be precise. :lol8:

What does the 660 share with the XT500? The air that flows around it's engine? :imaposer:

The Sertao is a carthorse without shoeshine.

The crappy rattle-myself-loose primary gear nut and lock washer ::)

The Sertao an old cart horse without shoe shine - that is funny :evil6:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2014, 11:27:16 am »
It seems everyone on this forum is searching for the ONE bike that can do it all, well guess what, it does not exist. Just like there is no one handgun caliber that can do it all, or one tyre that can do it all,or the best beer, we all buy the bike that suits us the best, and it might not be the best in all aspects, but it works very well for our intended purpose, and OK-ish for the other stuff.  And what is this obsession with all things new, everything is a version of what went before, nothing is absolutely new, and with good cause, because at least it has been tested by time and is reliable. Mark loves his pink 950, Alan loves his 610, and Dan loves "Yamaha". Each to his own. I am sure the 690 is a very good bike for it's intended purpose, and the Tenere for it's purpose, myself, I get the fever for a new bike every so often, like most of us do, but at the moment I need a bike that crashes well, I seem to do that often!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2014, 11:41:22 am »
...1. It is newly designed, from the ground up
7. It has factory fitted and replaceble side-impact panels, a new and valuable foresight on a bike like this.

:laughing4:

The XT660Z engine is so new it still shares components with the XT500. And you dare to ridicule KLR's ??? The Minarelli 660 is an upgraded and bored out XT500 mill with bolt on liquid cooling :evil6:

The KLR mill being related to Kawasakis 1984's DOHC 16V liquid cooled inline fours originates almost a decade later than the XT :D

Do you call the BMW G650Sertao a newly designed bike or an old cart horse with a shoeshine job ???

The side impact panels are at least as new as the Honda ST1100 Pan European. 24 years to be precise. :lol8:

I just love this, who can argue with this from a man who knows what he is talking about!
You just can't beat knowledge, experience and honesty

:thumleft:

But a opinion from someone like Mark Hardy goes straight over your head?  Garfield should direct his "relevance" question to you.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2014, 11:49:03 am »
Mark Hardy's post here are very relevant, not because he says what I have been saying, but because someone with great ability and experience is valueing the XT-Z for what it is designed to do.
And Mark likes it.

Just so I understand this, are you saying posts that agree with you are relevant and posts that disagree are not?

The explanation is in that very paragraph you put into question.........."because someone with great ability and experience is valueing [evaluating] the XT-Z"