Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wilddog style comparing the XT660Z to the 690 Enduro R.  (Read 15102 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Wilddog style comparing the XT660Z to the 690 Enduro R.
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2014, 11:50:58 am »

Ja but which beer is the best...... >:D

:spitcoffee:
Let's wait, Daan will soon tell....

Sorry to disappoint, knows little on the beer topic. Always order Heineken, Amstel or Nastro Azzurro. :deal:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2014, 11:53:23 am »
Well, I guess now that all the heavyweights on Wilddogs agree that the 660XT-Z is the best tool for it's intended purpose, namely touring, we can all relax.

Thank you.

:pot:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2014, 11:57:47 am »

...1. It is newly designed, from the ground up
7. It has factory fitted and replaceble side-impact panels, a new and valuable foresight on a bike like this.

:laughing4:

The XT660Z engine is so new it still shares components with the XT500. And you dare to ridicule KLR's ??? The Minarelli 660 is an upgraded and bored out XT500 mill with bolt on liquid cooling :evil6:

The KLR mill being related to Kawasakis 1984's DOHC 16V liquid cooled inline fours originates almost a decade later than the XT :D

Do you call the BMW G650Sertao a newly designed bike or an old cart horse with a shoeshine job ???

The side impact panels are at least as new as the Honda ST1100 Pan European. 24 years to be precise. :lol8:

I just love this, who can argue with this from a man who knows what he is talking about!
You just can't beat knowledge, experience and honesty

:thumleft:

But a opinion from someone like Mark Hardy goes straight over your head?  Garfield should direct his "relevance" question to you.

What are you trying to achoeve here Daan? Rub up WD memberas agains each other ??? So it seems.

Does this mean so much to you?

Or aspirating towards some idiot of the month award maybe?

Lighten up, it is not the end of the world if some of us don't like most of you posts :imaposer:

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2014, 12:09:53 pm »
Mark Hardy's post here are very relevant, not because he says what I have been saying, but because someone with great ability and experience is valueing the XT-Z for what it is designed to do.
And Mark likes it.

Just so I understand this, are you saying posts that agree with you are relevant and posts that disagree are not?

The explanation is in that very paragraph you put into question.........."because someone with great ability and experience is valueing [evaluating] the XT-Z"

Thanks, since I am new here I have no idea who the experienced guys with valuable opinions are, and also having very limited riding experience myself, I just wanted to make sure  :thumleft:

Offline Buff

« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2014, 12:29:42 pm »
Ok, so I had a 660Z and loved it. It was no fire cracker though, besides the backfiring out those twin Leo Vince pipes.
It was a great all-rounder but the suspension was lacking for sure. You also never had the kind of power on tap that would allow you to drop a gear and loft the front over a washouts etc. Never less I really enjoyed the bike, the only frustration l had was the headshake at 140km/h that I was never able to get rid of despite trying everything. And then you have the legendary Yamaha reliability… which wasn’t so legendary after the motor had to be completely redone after dust ingress on that recalled air filter issue  ::)

After selling my Super10 I made the mistake of spending some time riding GJ’s and another mate Derricks KTM690’s. Now this is a way different beast. The seating position feels like an enduro bike. You get the immediate impression this bike wants to be ridden aggressively. I suck at wheelies but I can loft the front wheel at leisure on this bike. Comfort… not so much. Reliability…. Not so much. You need only spend some time trolling the web to realise that buying a good 690 is a hit and miss affair. Some bikes with less that 2000km’s on the clocks have spent more time on mechanics benches than on the road.

I’m agreeing with 2StrokeDan 100% here, two very different bikes with 2 very different purposes.

And if you haven’t owned either one or spent some time riding both, you really shouldn’t be contributing to the discussion should you?

I’ll be placing my 690 order shortly  :o
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2014, 12:47:14 pm »
You get the immediate impression this bike wants to be ridden aggressively. I suck at wheelies but I can loft the front wheel at leisure on this bike.

Now this leads me to a question.

I also owned a 660Z and did just over 10000km on that on varied roads/paths (some would classify the paths as off-road).
Three weekends back I had the opportunity to play with a standard 690 for a day, also on varied roads/paths i.e. similar terrain I have ridden my 660Z on.
The 690 has around 2500km on the clock and has had a few issues in that time, but that is a different story.

The question I have is because the 690 was a bit of a disappointment to me personally, I was expecting more of it in the performance arena (I am not a great rider, average at best, but compare the performance with other bikes I have ridden).

I really also wanted a 690, but this has put me off somewhat.

So, is there possibly something wrong with this specific 690, and if so, what could it be?

Disclaimer: 690 owners please don't lynch me, this is a serious question and not intended to stir.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2014, 01:30:07 pm »
In my opinion big road legal enduro-type machines will never be full enduro bikes.  For me personally a bike weighing around 150 and above is too heavy for enduro work.  I guess there benefit comes in if you want to ride it so say a venue 200kms away and do some serious trail riding instead of trailering it. 

Smaller XR4/DRZ type bikes make more sense imo.  But thats just me, I have seen okes doing special things on HP2s and SEs.  I just like the smaller bikes for that application.

Had the XR250 drop into an erosion hole at Makekeng.  On a big bike I would have to go call help to get it out.  On the 250 I just picked the bike's rear out of the hole.  Ok, like 2SD is ek moer sterk ;) ;D

Swifty had the best comment here ---- these bikes I love em all

Offline Buff

« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2014, 02:19:11 pm »
You get the immediate impression this bike wants to be ridden aggressively. I suck at wheelies but I can loft the front wheel at leisure on this bike.

So, is there possibly something wrong with this specific 690, and if so, what could it be?

Quite possible.

GJ will give you more info but the 690's are famous for their fuel injectors clogging up and affecting performance. An inline fuel filter helps.
An Akro pipe also makes a big difference in performance.

I might be mistaken but they have a mapping switch under the seat as well, maybe that one was dialed down from wild to mild?
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2014, 02:36:27 pm »

Quite possible.

GJ will give you more info but the 690's are famous for their fuel injectors clogging up and affecting performance. An inline fuel filter helps.
An Akro pipe also makes a big difference in performance.

I might be mistaken but they have a mapping switch under the seat as well, maybe that one was dialed down from wild to mild?
well this thread is getting too informative.  :deal: can we declare the tenere the best and move on now?  :imaposer: :peepwall: :ricky:
good times! secretly wish i had both.  :thumleft:
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2014, 04:04:57 pm »

I also owned a 660Z and did just over 10000km on that on varied roads/paths (some would classify the paths as off-road).
Three weekends back I had the opportunity to play with a standard 690 for a day, also on varied roads/paths i.e. similar terrain I have ridden my 660Z on.
The 690 has around 2500km on the clock and has had a few issues in that time, but that is a different story.

The question I have is because the 690 was a bit of a disappointment to me personally, I was expecting more of it in the performance arena (I am not a great rider, average at best, but compare the performance with other bikes I have ridden).

Disclaimer: 690 owners please don't lynch me, this is a serious question and not intended to stir.

Garfield, my guess, like Buff's, would be that the ignition mapping selector is dialled to the mildest setting. A 690 could never disappoint if performance is what you are after.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2014, 04:09:09 pm »

Garfield, my guess, like Buff's, would be that the ignition mapping selector is dialled to the mildest setting. A 690 could never disappoint if performance is what you are after.

Thanks Buff and 2SD, that could explain, will ask the owner to check and give me another opportunity to go and play.

Of course if that was the case my wife is not going to be happy since it would put the 690 back on the list again  :imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2014, 04:14:09 pm »
...1. It is newly designed, from the ground up
7. It has factory fitted and replaceble side-impact panels, a new and valuable foresight on a bike like this.

:laughing4:

The XT660Z engine is so new it still shares components with the XT500. And you dare to ridicule KLR's ??? The Minarelli 660 is an upgraded and bored out XT500 mill with bolt on liquid cooling :evil6:

The KLR mill being related to Kawasakis 1984's DOHC 16V liquid cooled inline fours originates almost a decade later than the XT :D

Do you call the BMW G650Sertao a newly designed bike or an old cart horse with a shoeshine job ???

The side impact panels are at least as new as the Honda ST1100 Pan European. 24 years to be precise. :lol8:

I just love this, who can argue with this from a man who knows what he is talking about!
You just can't beat knowledge, experience and honesty

:thumleft:

But a opinion from someone like Mark Hardy goes straight over your head?  Garfield should direct his "relevance" question to you.

What are you trying to achoeve here Daan? Rub up WD memberas agains each other ??? So it seems.

Does this mean so much to you?

Or aspirating towards some idiot of the month award maybe?

Lighten up, it is not the end of the world if some of us don't like most of you posts :imaposer:

I need to lighten up, my wife reckons about 10KGs should do it........ :imaposer:

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2014, 04:17:12 pm »
Garfield the different models also have different power. The 690E had much less power. You only get the R now and like the others have said, even then the mapping was most likely dialed down. The 690R makes almost 50% more power than a 650gs for example and weighs about 40 kays less. I've not tested yet but in a drag race on tar it will probably stay with my 800gs until it starts running out of legs
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Ganjora

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »
I've not tested yet but in a drag race on tar it will probably stay with my 800gs until it starts running out of legs

the 690 is insanely quick.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2014, 04:22:44 pm »
I've not tested yet but in a drag race on tar it will probably stay with my 800gs until it starts running out of legs

the 690 is insanely quick.

Yep it will probably nail the 800 off the line if you can keep the front down  :ricky:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:23:21 pm by Dwerg »
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2014, 04:23:04 pm »
I remember GJ actually staying with an 800GS up to I think an indicated 175.

GJ, come enlighten us.

O, he's probably standing somewhere along the road cleaning out that pesky injector. :imaposer:

Offline Bensien

« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2014, 05:09:25 pm »
I have never owned either bike, but that does not seem to make me less qualified than most people here.

My biggest gripe with the 660 Tenere is that it weighs 185kg dry . That’s more than an 800GS, 950SE or HP2. So it has all the disadvantages of both a 650 class single and a big twin, and none of the benefits. While the engine, suspension and other components are not bad, they are not outstanding either.

The 690’s engine is considered by many to be the best single cylinder ever made. The bike also has top of the line components and a lot of effort has gone into making it as light as possible. So at least you know why it costs as much as it does.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline dirtyXT

Re:
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2014, 05:14:16 pm »
indeed. 690 is an animal. but if you were honest and did everything to the extreme the tenere will tick every single box.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline dirtyXT

Re:
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2014, 05:15:04 pm »
obviously taking the total benefits into account
Bike history:

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2014, 05:15:27 pm »
I have never owned either bike, but that does not seem to make me less qualified than most people here

Appears you are over qualified  :biggrin:
Born to lose, live to win!!