Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wilddog style comparing the XT660Z to the 690 Enduro R.  (Read 15065 times)

Offline dirtyXT

Re: Wilddog style comparing the XT660Z to the 690 Enduro R.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 08:22:09 am »
The XT-Z definitely is down on power when pillioning and hauling 2 people's luggage. So is every single there is.

For any single rider application, the 660Z is plenty strong enough.

One would swear everybody races everywhere. :ricky:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
indeed, also think unless you're on the bleeding edge of modern enduro racing and pushing your bike to 99% of its performance capacity, its negligible which bike you choose. XTZ running at 80% capacity will leave a 690 running at 20% capacity everyday all day. learning how to appreciate and captilalise every single horse power can only come from riding a nifty 50cc.  :peepwall: :pot:
Not to forget that the XTZ weights as much as a standard 990 ........ figure that into your 80% - 20% split.
believe me i haven't forgotten how a 200kgs bike feels to be picked up... 5 or 6 times. on a steep incline...  proof is in the plastics and heroic scratches found on them.  still prefer kakking off in the 10% of the trip section.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 09:05:48 am »
I see absolutely no point in buying a single cylinder bike that weighs only a couple of kilograms lighter than a twin.  Twins have far more touring capability and off road won't feel much heavier.  A single should be what te 690 is, a dual sport bike for crazy off road riding but not much touring capability. 

Offline Herminator

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Never Go Full Retard
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 09:15:01 am »
I would love a Triumph 800 XC, but its just not financially possible, next best was the 660Z
It catches my dreams when I ride it.

Offline Beetle

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Life is either an adventure or nothing.
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 09:20:35 am »
More hot air, comparing Sparticus with Jacob Zuma, kak discussion ......... move on and troll kak elsewhere.

:spitcoffee:
It is a terrible thing to see and to have no vision - Helen Keller.

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 09:39:17 am »
Okay cost it a pretty good point.  If one can get a 660 in good condition for low price it makes much more sense than a twin that's allot of money.  The tenere isn't a bad bike at all and on par or maybe slightly better than many twins in term of capability off-road.

Buying them new is a completely different story, I feel the yamaha is way overpriced for what one gets. 

I think it's now a R100 000 or just over?  A KLR that's is essentially the same thing just without EFI is R64 000.00.  Suzuki DR R54 000.00, Sertao R 85 000.00, Aprilia pegaso R62 000.00, XR R60 000.00. 

It becomes even harder to stomach if one considers the new F800gs with ABS, EFI, Heated grips, traction control and all the other bling is around R110 000.00, the triumph tiger xc is R114 000.00.    I'm not saying that all this bling is a good thing but at least from a coating point of view one can see why it costs as much. 

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 09:43:23 am »
 :sip:
You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 09:51:28 am »
Some bikes should not be compared.

Having said that, last weekend I had the chance to ride a 690 (standard without rally kit) on the same terrain I usually ride my WR450 right after I have done a few loops with the 450.

In its standard form it was fun to ride there, not much more work than the 450.

On the same terrain the XT660Z (I think I can comment since I owned one) would have been a lot more work purely because of the power and weight.

But then I guess the 690 with rally kit i.e. fairing, larger tank etc. would end up the same, I would like to be able to ride one to see.

In the end I was a bit disappointed with the 690 though, maybe I was expecting much more because of all the hype.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 10:10:23 am »
More hot air, comparing Sparticus with Jacob Zuma, kak discussion ......... move on and troll kak elsewhere.

Are you nit interested in "contributing something of value to this forum"? :peepwall:, of weet jy regtig fokkol? :pot:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 10:16:16 am »
Okay cost it a pretty good point.  If one can get a 660 in good condition for low price it makes much more sense than a twin that's allot of money.  The tenere isn't a bad bike at all and on par or maybe slightly better than many twins in term of capability off-road.

Buying them new is a completely different story, I feel the yamaha is way overpriced for what one gets. 

I think it's now a R100 000 or just over?  A KLR that's is essentially the same thing just without EFI is R64 000.00.  Suzuki DR R54 000.00, Sertao R 85 000.00, Aprilia pegaso R62 000.00, XR R60 000.00. 

It becomes even harder to stomach if one considers the new F800gs with ABS, EFI, Heated grips, traction control and all the other bling is around R110 000.00, the triumph tiger xc is R114 000.00.    I'm not saying that all this bling is a good thing but at least from a coating point of view one can see why it costs as much. 

Compared to the KLR, which has all the touring features the XT-Z has, the Tenere is expensive. But let Kawasaki design a new and modern KLR, and see them cost around a hundred grand also, same goes for the Sertao and DR650, both of which is continuations of old models.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 10:18:54 am »
Purchase price is one thing, I would like to see how the longer term maintenance of the XT compare to the BMW, KTM, Triumph. If you insist on comparing.

The 990's immediately disqualifies itself due to it's unacceptable[for today's standards] fuel wastage. These KTM's are simply inefficient.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 10:25:11 am »
Both are k@k and are overpriced. You should rather buy a..... care to guess? Or should I post pictures?

Offline sting

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 10:36:39 am »
What even brought up this thread I don't know. Different applications people, these are not difficult concepts to understand. For someone who's had 690R for three years now, after having had a 990, Dakar, etc here is why I have it, love it and treasure it.
1. I don't want to ride 400km a day on tar but if I really wanted to, it could do it, although wont be much fun. Would rather do dirt routes.
2. If I had to do 400km on dirt, I would choose nothing else
3. I ride plenty dirt and wanted the lightest, best suspension etc
4. I never ride with panniers etc - one Giant Loop type bag is enough
5. It is always fun to ride and commuting 20km a day through hectic traffic is a breeze
6. when conditions get really tough on dirt, which would you rather be on?
7. Heavy bikes are a waste for this specific application and lots return to lighter bikes after a while
8. every day when I see it, I'm reminded why I love it
9. No pillion
Considering the above, the 690 R has a specific market for what it offers. It is what I wanted from a bike. AND it does what it says on the box unlike others who brand their bikes ENDURO when it's far from it.
Had NO problems other than a blown globe. It's not fuel efficient and I don't care. There are scooters for that.

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 10:55:00 am »
Well that's kinda the problem, the xtz isn't really new or modern. 

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 11:13:05 am »

Well, the styling closely follows the "praying mantis" look favoured in the Dakar currently, so I would say at least more modern than the competition.

The new 690 has "fly by wire" accelerator, which means that it is even less suited to dirt applications.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 11:15:51 am »

yip, it has 2 wheels, and that ancient internal combustion engine thingy and indicators and fuel injection system...

u right ....
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 11:16:45 am »
What even brought up this thread I don't know. Different applications people, these are not difficult concepts to understand. For someone who's had 690R for three years now, after having had a 990, Dakar, etc here is why I have it, love it and treasure it.
1. I don't want to ride 400km a day on tar but if I really wanted to, it could do it, although wont be much fun. Would rather do dirt routes.
2. If I had to do 400km on dirt, I would choose nothing else
3. I ride plenty dirt and wanted the lightest, best suspension etc
4. I never ride with panniers etc - one Giant Loop type bag is enough
5. It is always fun to ride and commuting 20km a day through hectic traffic is a breeze
6. when conditions get really tough on dirt, which would you rather be on?
7. Heavy bikes are a waste for this specific application and lots return to lighter bikes after a while
8. every day when I see it, I'm reminded why I love it
9. No pillion
Considering the above, the 690 R has a specific market for what it offers. It is what I wanted from a bike. AND it does what it says on the box unlike others who brand their bikes ENDURO when it's far from it.
Had NO problems other than a blown globe. It's not fuel efficient and I don't care. There are scooters for that.

I fully agree with your points, and you actually state exactly all the points why you should not buy a 690 if you want to travel further than the playing field.
The 690's I know of is actually very fuel efficient, maybe you ride your's hard too often? :peepwall:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 11:22:48 am »

There have been very few times in my life that I have not owned and enjoyed an XT, so when the XTZ 660 hit the market there was no argument, I hat to have one.

The Z was an absolute joy to ride, more power than I needed, good syspension and a robust frame that could be abused without fear of the tail light snapping off.

The honeymoon lasted about 10000 k's before things went pear shaped. The Z has proved to be the most unreliable bike I have ever owned with one problem following the next to a point where I was to nervous to tackle a day trip never mind anything more adventurous.

The engine re-build was understandable as the air cleaner mod. had never been done as part of the PDI.

Other mechanical areas that needed attention at low km's were : brake pads
                                                                                                        stearing head bearings
                                                                                                        cush drive
                                                                                                        rear wheel bearings

Soon after getting the bike, all electrics in the dash cluster failed caused by the wiring loom being
crimped between the tank and frame.
Next the headlamp stopped working caused by a falure in the ignition switch which is not a servisable part and needed replacing.

The final straw for me was an intermitant electrical problem that felt like a spark plug progresivly breaking down until the bike stopped completly.
A friend down the road was having the same problem with his Z. As his was still under warranty I thought the easist solution was to sit it out until they had sorted the problem.
Two months down the line ....no solution.

As much as I may have bought a bike that was assembled on a Friday afternoon I dont think the 660Z will ever be remembered with the same nostalgia for its ruggedness and reliaility as the 600 Tenere.

Thank you for sharing your honest experience.

Now: will you rather by a XTZ660 or a XC800 and only pay R16k more for your XC.
The weight is the same, it has way better suspention (xtz owner who is happy with OEM suspention is definately not experienced but rather have tunnel vission-if you think XTZ OEM suspention is good you will be stunned after riding a KTM, you will keep on smiling and never look back)

I say AGAIN: I am a big Yamaha fan and will ride a S10 any day, but the 660XTZ is way overpriced and not a. Respectable bike at all from their stall

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 11:28:00 am »
This thread is not a reallife head to head comparison between 690 and 660Z, the main point is pricing on the 660Z, which some say is too expensive.
I want to know why, in concrete facts, you reckon the Yamaha is too expensive?

The KLR is R34000 more expensive, but we all know that KLR's are banned from any place you need to wear long pants and a shirt. Their riders need to be anti-snob supremo.
The Sertao is R10000 cheaper, but need about double that in just a tank and fairing to start comparing.
The XR-L is +-R 40000 cheaper, but it also need a lot of stuff to actually bring it to a tourer.
The DR650 is IMO a much better buy than the XR-L, for the same money, but it also need a lot in add-ons.

The XT remains a much more attractive bike, and this is a big point.

So, is the XT-Z too much money for the bike? Well, all bikes are ridiculously priced, but as it stands I do not think that the XT is overpriced relatively.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 11:41:52 am »
I own a standard suspended XT600E, and while it is woefully inadequate at Macassar's whoops, I find this the best touring suspension you can find.

This is what TVB and some can not grasp, for touring you do not need to do whoops, jumps, etc, you need plush suspension.
The bigger the fork diameter, the more stiction you will find, simply due to seal friction area, fork bushings with greater area, etc. This is why these KTM forks on a light bike like the 690 need to be revalved to try and cope with dirtroad corrugations, ripples, etc.

I find my XT suspension so good for normal touring that I would not change anything on it. Plush, it just soaks up all ripples and corrugations in a road.

Everything is compromises. The harder the hit your forks can take, the harder they will have to be, and the more you feel road unevenness. This is the tiring factor when doing long
distance riding. Wrist fatigue, and possibly why I hardly ever see long distance reports by riders on 690's.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 11:43:15 am »

There have been very few times in my life that I have not owned and enjoyed an XT, so when the XTZ 660 hit the market there was no argument, I hat to have one.

The Z was an absolute joy to ride, more power than I needed, good syspension and a robust frame that could be abused without fear of the tail light snapping off.

The honeymoon lasted about 10000 k's before things went pear shaped. The Z has proved to be the most unreliable bike I have ever owned with one problem following the next to a point where I was to nervous to tackle a day trip never mind anything more adventurous.

The engine re-build was understandable as the air cleaner mod. had never been done as part of the PDI.

Other mechanical areas that needed attention at low km's were : brake pads
                                                                                                        stearing head bearings
                                                                                                        cush drive
                                                                                                        rear wheel bearings

Soon after getting the bike, all electrics in the dash cluster failed caused by the wiring loom being
crimped between the tank and frame.
Next the headlamp stopped working caused by a falure in the ignition switch which is not a servisable part and needed replacing.

The final straw for me was an intermitant electrical problem that felt like a spark plug progresivly breaking down until the bike stopped completly.
A friend down the road was having the same problem with his Z. As his was still under warranty I thought the easist solution was to sit it out until they had sorted the problem.
Two months down the line ....no solution.

As much as I may have bought a bike that was assembled on a Friday afternoon I dont think the 660Z will ever be remembered with the same nostalgia for its ruggedness and reliaility as the 600 Tenere.

Thank you for sharing your honest experience.

Now: will you rather by a XTZ660 or a XC800 and only pay R16k more for your XC.
The weight is the same, it has way better suspention (xtz owner who is happy with OEM suspention is definately not experienced but rather have tunnel vission-if you think XTZ OEM suspention is good you will be stunned after riding a KTM, you will keep on smiling and never look back)

I say AGAIN: I am a big Yamaha fan and will ride a S10 any day, but the 660XTZ is way overpriced and not a. Respectable bike at all from their stall

unless u mark coma or similar this is the biggest twatwaffle crap on WD
Born to lose, live to win!!