Wilddog style comparing the XT660Z to the 690 Enduro R.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Just tonight I got involved in a difference of opinion between myself and TVB.
TVB reckoned that the XTZ should be much cheaper than the 690.
Why?
Yamaha built the XTZ with only one purpose in mind, and they do not mislead the buyer over what this purpose is. It's purpose is touring and everything from the Tenere name to the
fairing, the big fuel tank and strenghtened subframe.                                                                               
Yamaha never thought that some people would actually think that this is a trials, or even enduro bike. It is a tourer, and Yamaha built it as such.
No high compression engine to tire you with barking exhaust note and snappy throttle, no "race" suspension when the tourer only want a smooth ride through the Cederberg.

Now the 690. It actually baffles me why anyone would want to compare this very light, very powerful motorcycle with close to competition hassis to a tourer such as the Yamaha XTZ.
But since some do, here goes.
You buy your 690 for R110000, then you buy your 690 extra tanks for R10000, then the Omega kit for R25000. It now cost you R145000, yet as a touring bike, it still falls short of the XTZ.
It still has a plastic subframe, it still feels "nervous" at 120[a downtrade for quick handling], it has a "snappy" throttle thanks to high compression and lots of power.
Reliability can never compare to Yamaha, even this Italian Pirate XTZ ;), and I know I am offending some KTM guys here when I say that reliability is an issue, sorry, but it is.

I know some will say that the thrill is just so good on the 690, and that is true, but this is about value from your purchase. A purchase done right.
IOW if you bought your 690 for wheelies, dragraces against other singles and playing in the dunes, you have chosen right.
If you bought your XTZ for touring and long distance riding, you have chosen right.

In my motorcycling life I have never seen bikes being sold with KMS as low as on the 690's. 1st owner selling at 400KM/2500kms etc is actually quite common.
What this tells me is that the 690 is the bike being bought the most of all bikes for the wrong reason. So for all these low-kay sellers, their purchase was wrong.