Warning: Meiring Naude Road (Pretoria) is an accident waiting to happen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntVan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Yesterday I almost had a head on collision. Thought nothing of it but I remember it has happened before to me, so I'd rather warn you guys and girls.

Meiring Naude in Pretoria is an accident waiting to happen, especially if you are turning North onto MN from Lynnwood. I've had an old omie in a Cressida almost take me out previously, and yesterday it happened again. What happens is the guys coming from the N1 Southerly direction who want to get to Lynnwood road sometimes get confused (I want to believe) or take chances (I actually believe) and create a new lane in the oncoming one, the righthand lane I take from Lynnwood onto MN. The end result is that once you start motoring away from the cars to create a bubble of safety the idjits arrive in your lane travelling at merske speeds.

On a bike you can split and move around, but in a car. Eish. Be safe.

Yesterday's dude did get a hooter and against my character a middle finger. I don't like road rage and never partake in it as far as possible (I've stated so on this forum) and I feel it made me a bit less of a man.

The reason I am scared of this road is years ago, while I was still driving cars I had a major accident when a hotshot pilot rear ended my Citi Golf and bent the chassis, this was coming from the other side southern direction on MN. This little idjit discovered his dad's car's power band and only braked when he was on the bridge. The bridge is arched, he was lifted upwards by his momentum, lost traction, wheels skidded and he bumped into me. I saw it coming, left two car's space, handbrake on, in gear, and braced against the firewall. Still ended up being pushed 1.9 carlengths. The dude in front of me probably skidded his pants. From some reason people on this road are still high on highway-adrenaline and end up driving way too fast.