Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Just spotted at RAD Moto the KTM1290 Superduke  (Read 17521 times)

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
Re: Just spotted at RAD Moto the KTM1290 Superduke
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2014, 08:13:47 am »
Jeez allow the guy his sunshine….. who cares if it is sensible or not, fast or slow… the bike looks awesome, and if I had the money I would definitely get one!        :headbang:

Online Dux

« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2014, 08:23:24 am »
Indeed this 1290 would be stupendous fun.

Just please note though how it has shrunk in stature from a superbike killer[Dux and Manic] to simply stupendous fun.

But I agree, stupendous fun is good.

I will remember that the next time I ride round the outside of an R1 on whatever bike I happen to be on .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2014, 08:26:06 am »

Just please note though how it has shrunk in stature from a superbike killer[Dux and Manic] to simply stupendous fun.

I will remember that the next time I ride round the outside of an R1 on whatever bike I happen to be on .

I sometimes outride R1/GSX-R/etc riders on my XT, when we do the Clarence drive..........but I suspect that it is not really me or the XT that is so fast. :deal:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2014, 08:27:03 am »
Jeez allow the guy his sunshine….. who cares if it is sensible or not, fast or slow… the bike looks awesome, and if I had the money I would definitely get one!        :headbang:

Sunshine is free. :imaposer:

Online Dux

« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2014, 12:51:41 pm »

I sometimes outride R1/GSX-R/etc riders on my XT, when we do the Clarence drive..........but I suspect that it is not really me or the XT that is so fast. :deal:

Oh yes , like the GSXR750 I went round the outside of when testing a Transalp 650 a few days ago , the guy had come flying past me just before the sequence of corners and then straight after the sequence he came flying past again .

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:53:19 pm by Dux »
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2014, 01:26:36 pm »

Oh yes , like the GSXR750 I went round the outside of when testing a Transalp 650 a few days ago , the guy had come flying past me just before the sequence of corners and then straight after the sequence he came flying past again .

:eek7: straightliners. :xxbah:

Offline Bensien

« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2014, 03:14:13 pm »
I had a good look at the bike in the flesh this morning. It is smaller than the pictures suggest. It’s not pretty, but still manages to look mean and intimidating without being truly ugly like a B-King, 1700 VMax od Diavel

Is my age showing  or would an SMT version with a bit of protection, a comfortable dual seat and luggage capability be even more desirable?
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Amsterdam

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2014, 09:28:20 pm »
Bensien, these clever guys have thought of that too.  A gell seat is available and luggage is an option.  So you can hooligan during the year and go touring during the holidays.  Makes it a pretty versatile tool.

KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 890 Rally

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2014, 08:31:06 am »
Brilliant, If you do get a moodswing while touring you can just unleash the hoolighan in you!!!
They should have an aftermarket screen as well I think like on the MT09. The MT09 looks really stupid without a screen (even the Yamaha salesmen think so) and it even have 4 exposed bolts for assembly. That is only a mini screen but works well and finish of the looks of the bike. At least the KTM looks brilliant from any angle

Offline Toors

« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2014, 09:55:53 am »
with a screen and some other cr@p fitted:

KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2014, 01:03:24 pm »
Yes!!! Like that! :3some:

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2014, 01:23:30 pm »
I rode it today.

It is sublime – I really think it is that good.

I own a 950 SE and a 950SM and have ridden many 990s – both in Adventure and Superduke format and my opinions of the 1290 Superduke are based on the comparison between that bike and the similar KTMs that have preceded it.

1.   Engine

It is a real peach – super smooth and torquey – from low down to redline. It is as happy to crawl along in traffic at 2500 rpm in 3rd or 4th gear as it is to scream along at top whack in top gear.

For me the fuelling is super smooth. No more of that horrible snatchiness, jerkiness and hunting that all 990s suffer from and made me sell mine after 200 km. As mentioned I have 2 carb fed 950s because I think the fuelling and smoothness thereof is miles better than the EFI on the 990s. The fuelling on the 1290 is sorted – super smooth, almost docile, all the way from idle upwards.

The power is amazing. The throttle action is very light and a total beginner could ride this bike with ease and be in no danger of killing themselves. When you do twist the throttle, especially from a robot / drag light start, it fucks off with a capital F – I think this bike is faster from 0 – 200 than my SM is from 0 – 100 – it is like greased lightning. In street mode there were no hooligan antics of trying to keep the front wheel down etc – it just takes off.

This engine is so much more usable and thus enjoyable than any inline 4 cylinder Jap screamer – it has an amazing flat torque delivery right from idle.

2.   Brakes

Huge Brembos on the front are amazing and provide radical stopping power with amazing feel and bite. They scrub off speed so well that you quickly get complacent and carry a lot of speed everywhere because you know that stopping is a gentle two finger squeeze away. The rear brake is very pretty and sits inboard the rear wheel – it works but I hardly used it. For me, on the road, everything is about the front brake.

3.   Seating Position and ergonomics

You sit in the bike – not on top of it like my SM. Its very comfy and promotes huge rider confidence – I liked it a lot. The bike feels no bigger than the 390 Duke – awesome, light and manoeuvrable.
The handlebars are much lower than my SM and after a while the palms of my hands started to take some strain, especially in stop start traffic.

Only complaint I have is that the “toe part” of the gear lever is too short so I had to consciously think about where my foot was – I had a big takkie on so this did not help either – I suppose it is supposed to be ridden with those fancy biker ballet shoes.

4.   Frame and suspension

This bike had an orange frame – the best colour to have. I did not adjust or fiddle with any suspension settings at all so I do not know where they were or if adjustment would improve anything but I’m sure it would.

The suspension is good and soaks up most bumps very well. All road bikes feel too stiffly sprung for my liking when compared to the plushness and comfort of my SE – but then these bikes are supposed to be ridden much faster on the road. The general bumps and ruts on Cape Town’s roads never really unsettled the bike but I am sure it would really come on song around a lekker smooth racetrack like Kyalami – Killarney only has a few smooth bits in some places but otherwise our local track is actually very bumpy, especially down the back straight because of all the tree roots.

The seating position is comfy and visibility is excellent – very important to me on the road. I hate leaning over the tank on a crotch rocket while squinting through the screen.

Whoever said wind protection is good was talking shit – there is none to speak of. At 150 kph plus you feel it – at 200 it wants to tear your arms off. Faster than that I did not go but can only expect it gets exponentially worse if you do not lie down.

5.   Switchgear and controls

Are all absolutely top class and feel top quality. I hate gizmos and gadgets and did not fiddle or touch any buttons or change riding modes. The instruments are easy and clear to read and work well – a huge improvement over the years.

6.   Summary

I think it is an amazing bike – cosmetically, mechanically, user friendly, pretty, powerful ...

I did not wheelie it, race it, drift it, stoppie it or do burnouts on it – I just rode it for 30 minutes from Paarden Eiland to top of Signal Hill and back – taking my time to take it all in and enjoy it.

It is special – I will not buy one because I cannot afford it nor think I would use it to its potential but that does not detract from how good it is.

However I would still want one – just like the smoking hot supermodel that you know will be hard work but worth it.

Many thanks to Charl at KTM Cape Town for the test ride.

2SD – I challenge you to take it for a test ride with an open mind and then come back here and tell us about it – good or bad 
The older I get the faster I was

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2014, 01:42:51 pm »
Jagsding you should concider being a bike journalist, you have done a grate review on the bike, thanks and I do want to ask 2Tdan to take on your challange, please

Ok just one thing.....is that chain supposed to be 'pap' on totp like that? It doesn't seem right ???

(Of is ek stupid)

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2014, 01:47:53 pm »
I rolled the bike back half a metre and then took the pic - that is why chain looks "pap" - I took this pic to show off the sexy rear wheel, single sided swingarm and inboard brake disc

Normally the top span of the chain would be tight and it would be slap underneath where you would not notice it
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:48:45 pm by Jagsding »

Offline Whyme

« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2014, 01:50:39 pm »
Yes its not 1290 but Duke nevertheless
2010 BMW 1200GSA Anniversary - Sold
2007 BMW G650 X Challenge

Offline Whyme

« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2014, 01:53:01 pm »
The real deal :biggrin:
2010 BMW 1200GSA Anniversary - Sold
2007 BMW G650 X Challenge

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2014, 02:11:53 pm »
I rolled the bike back half a metre and then took the pic - that is why chain looks "pap" - I took this pic to show off the sexy rear wheel, single sided swingarm and inboard brake disc

Normally the top span of the chain would be tight and it would be slap underneath where you would not notice it

Ok that explains it all!  :thumleft:

Offline dakar wannabee

• Puppy
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • running out of skill on a KTM
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2014, 02:27:25 pm »
Good article Jagsding. You clearly have missed your calling. The sex wee is upon me I look at that boney. Mothergoose it is mooooi
Sheldon

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2014, 03:43:31 pm »
Danie 2SD!!! I challenge you to test drive and give your HONEST opinion. :peepwall: :pot: ::)

Jagsding, no heat as on the 1190??
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2014, 04:30:34 pm »
I have not ridden a 1190 but have read about the heat issues.

There is absolutely no heat soak whatsoever on this 1290 Superduke - the exhausts are nowhere near the seat