Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Just spotted at RAD Moto the KTM1290 Superduke  (Read 17530 times)

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33į54.712 E018į28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Just spotted at RAD Moto the KTM1290 Superduke
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 09:44:20 pm »
This is a beast, man wish I was swinging my leg over this...
And I did! Went to see Andrew Biram and his team today, and got to sit n it and make 'vroom, vroom' noises...!

But strangely enough, they did not offer me the key...?  ;D

Awesome to see one in the flesh, it's quite the bike...
Cheers
Chris
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 09:44:50 pm »
Taste does differ.
To me it is plain ugly.
Guess it would go like the clappers from robot to robot.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online dw1

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:09 pm »
I like KTM but this thing looks KAARK.

Probably great fun to ride around for a couple of days and then give it back to whoever it belongs to. Much like a jet ski - useless to have for any longer than two days.
Current KTM 950 Adv, R80G/S x 2, TW200,  DR200 Djebel,, XR500R
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200,

Offline Dux

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 10:00:40 pm »
My 5 cents , KTM brought out the SMT990 and I thought , ho hum boring but let me take it out and see if it can actually do anything decent , absolutely loved it , whipped a good bunch of sportbikes over Franschhoek and the Rooiels road , definitely a bike that is just so much better than specs , same with the Superduke 990R , far better than I expected it to be , and I expect this to be pretty much the same .
2SD , as much as I am a firm believer in Japanese machinery I have to admit that the Euro's do have them beat in this department , while the Jap bikes may be better on paper , they are just too bland , very efficient but oh so bland and boring , the Euros have that something that when you climb off it you have a grin from ear to ear that will take a solid smack with a shovel to remove . These are the sort of bikes that will cause you to lose your license very quickly , and I would be very keen to try one with the wild settings , now that would be a blast
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Wolzak

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Previously Offshore
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 10:06:48 pm »
My 5 cents , KTM brought out the SMT990 and I thought , ho hum boring but let me take it out and see if it can actually do anything decent , absolutely loved it , whipped a good bunch of sportbikes over Franschhoek and the Rooiels road , definitely a bike that is just so much better than specs , same with the Superduke 990R , far better than I expected it to be , and I expect this to be pretty much the same .
2SD , as much as I am a firm believer in Japanese machinery I have to admit that the Euro's do have them beat in this department , while the Jap bikes may be better on paper , they are just too bland , very efficient but oh so bland and boring , the Euros have that something that when you climb off it you have a grin from ear to ear that will take a solid smack with a shovel to remove . These are the sort of bikes that will cause you to lose your license very quickly , and I would be very keen to try one with the wild settings , now that would be a blast
Netso.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline Vance

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Life is too short to ride shit bikes!
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 10:27:53 pm »

Fok ja!
"I'd rather be a competitor for a moment in time, than be a spectator all my life."

Offline Ratt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 10:47:24 pm »
I'm with 2SD on this, whats the point? 1300 monster bike, but I'll outrun you on a R6, because youre resistance will be so high and you wont be able to han on enough to get over 200km/h
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 05:00:23 am »
I'm with 2SD on this, whats the point? 1300 monster bike, but I'll outrun you on a R6, because youre resistance will be so high and you wont be able to han on enough to get over 200km/h

I agree with everybody but disagree too.

YES the horsepower stats are high and you will kak yourself every time you dump the clutch. It will probably flip over and kill you. The wind buffeting will tear your arms off and peel your foreskin over your head so you look like an octopus. It is not practical, does not look comfortable, is probably fucking loud and rude in polite company, has a fuel tank the size of a jamjar, brakes vicious enough to make your arsehole come out your eyeballs, etc etc .......

The same can be said for any piece of high performance automotive exotica - but you are missing the point

IT IS SO COOL

Definitely way cooler than a R6, cooler than any Ducati or Ferrari - in fact I think it's cooler than a polar bear's nutsack stuck to an iceberg

check out the "Patriot" edition for the US market
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:09:03 am by Jagsding »
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 05:08:20 am »

you have obviously never ridden a naked bike.
when i need to do travelling between JHB/Nigel/Potch/PTA/Springs i generally cruise at around 180kph on my CB1000R,  while sitting up normally.
it does get a bit windy after 200kph,  but if you lie on the tank (as you do on a sports bike),  the wind is actually not that bad.
i have seen 220kph for a longish time on the N4 from Rustenburg,  and a max of 237kph on the same ride.
i have found that my fear of death is more of a hindrance than the wind,  when it comes to speed.
who knows,  maybe i just have a strong neck...

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 05:18:25 am »
also NB to remember that speed is purely academic, 
after about 180 you're just as dead as you are at 280.
it's how you get to the 180 that really counts...

Offline Bensien

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 06:54:26 am »
In tests, this bike has beaten an HP4 to 200kmh. It also matches the current litre class superbikes round a tight track, but loses out on tracks with long straights, which as KTM points out, is due to aerodynamics.

I understand exactly what Dux says. KTMís just have that something special that makes you addicted and lets you forgive all their shortcomings. Perhaps, like being able to smell your stinky pee after eating asparagus, you also need  a special gene sense that magic.

Another thing, if you donít own a KTM, you are not entitled to buy any of the cool stuff in their accessories catalogue. My latest is a cuckoo clock. Every hour, a little KTM comes out and revs its motor. If that isnít the epitome of refined style and class, I donít know what is. ;D
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 07:00:07 am »
Ganjora, you mention doing the type of speed on your naked CB that was almost attainable on 90HP Z1-R's. This is my question, what happens to the other 100?
I am never knocking this type of idea, ridiculous power in a light chassis is always stunning.
But in this bike it is wasted, and it looks like big version of the very ugly 200cc Duke.

I may be wrong, but the 180HP at 8000rpm just does not sound right either. If correct, we are looking at the 2014 Superbike champion.

Or is at like the 75HP 690's launched in 2008? ;)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 07:04:56 am »
In tests, this bike has beaten an HP4 to 200kmh. It also matches the current litre class superbikes round a tight track, but loses out on tracks with long straights, which as KTM points out, is due to aerodynamics.

I understand exactly what Dux says. KTMís just have that something special that makes you addicted and lets you forgive all their shortcomings. Perhaps, like being able to smell your stinky pee after eating asparagus, you also need  a special gene sense that magic.

Another thing, if you donít own a KTM, you are not entitled to buy any of the cool stuff in their accessories catalogue. My latest is a cuckoo clock. Every hour, a little KTM comes out and revs its motor. If that isnít the epitome of refined style and class, I donít know what is. ;D

Fokken Jack Parow, cousin of Bennie Bellville. :imaposer:

Offline Dux

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 08:13:08 am »

In a straight line that may well be so , but in CT we have lots of mountain passes and then that 1300cc worth of stomp available at low rpm becomes a lot more useful than the fairing on an R6 , I was riding in an RC8 so was stuck below 5000 rpm and managed to blow off a whole bunch of sportbikes over the first section of Franschhoek pass , speed wasn't an issue but usable power and good handling are .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 08:33:31 am »
I can smaak to have one.

This is not a Touring bike, or n High speed bike, this is a Superbike chower in the Lowveld  :drif:   :drif:   :drif:   :drif:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 08:37:49 am »
Its all about the smile factor...

oh, and the ring-pucker factor  :ricky:

I'd give a nut to take this bike on Franschhoek pass, or Long Tom pass... or similar. And you'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers to get it back.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 08:45:34 am »
Was the same with my HP2 Motard.
Useless on Highways, but once in Sabie area, nothing could catch it  :ricky:  :ricky:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 08:52:30 am »
The European's are on a roll, and the concervative Japs are loosing more market share by the year. This is not only for bikes but also cars. One who has never swinged his leg over a Ducati, Ktm of now days or MV and even some Triumph models will never know what they miss in life...

Offline Bensien

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 09:14:13 am »
We all need something thatís big, insane and without a real purpose in our lives. My wife has me. I want this bike.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Dux

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 09:16:58 am »
The European's are on a roll, and the concervative Japs are loosing more market share by the year. This is not only for bikes but also cars. One who has never swinged his leg over a Ducati, Ktm of now days or MV and even some Triumph models will never know what they miss in life...

I am inclined to agree with you , they may not be faster but they have more soul/character/feel good sensation , a friend who raced a Ducati took a CBR600 round the track and his lap times were faster , but he just didn't feel happy doing it .
I liken it to shagging a blowup doll , it gets the job done but leaves you with an empty feeling .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square