Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Just spotted at RAD Moto the KTM1290 Superduke  (Read 17531 times)

Offline Bensien

Re: Just spotted at RAD Moto the KTM1290 Superduke
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 09:43:52 am »
When the Japs dominated the bike scene, they were at war with each other, each trying to outdo the other with the biggest, baddest, most radical  new products.  Then it became a chess game. Every year, if one launched a new bike, the others would respond with one that weighed a kilo less or had one hp more and they did not notice that the rest of the world had caught up and overtaken them.

So now, even a traditionally conservative company like BMW builds a bike that outhandles and outruns the best they have to offer. If they carry on like this they are soon going to lose share to the Chinese as well.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Bensien

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 10:23:11 am »
Just received a message to tell me that the 1290 is ready for my test ride. Damn, I'm in Hazyview till Monday. Gonna be a long weekend.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 12:44:12 pm »
Here are some of the orange 1290s, this is for the purist KTM supporter. All KTM orange

Riding position is a lot more comfortable than the usual sport bikes

BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline JMG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Miss my orange bike!
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »
Now check those knoblies.....
Honda XR 650L, Royal Enfield 500 classic, TVS APACHE 180, Ktm 640 adventure R, Yamaha XT250.

Offline JMG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Miss my orange bike!
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2014, 01:07:40 pm »
Also if the 180k price tag is correct it's 20ish k cheaper than the new 1200 GS...... Indeed it may be a different type of bike but it does make you wonder....
Honda XR 650L, Royal Enfield 500 classic, TVS APACHE 180, Ktm 640 adventure R, Yamaha XT250.

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2014, 03:12:51 pm »
The European's are on a roll, and the concervative Japs are loosing more market share by the year. This is not only for bikes but also cars. One who has never swinged his leg over a Ducati, Ktm of now days or MV and even some Triumph models will never know what they miss in life...

I am inclined to agree with you , they may not be faster but they have more soul/character/feel good sensation , a friend who raced a Ducati took a CBR600 round the track and his lap times were faster , but he just didn't feel happy doing it .
I liken it to shagging a blowup doll , it gets the job done but leaves you with an empty feeling .

So what you are really saying is we should all feel sorry for 2SDan and his empty blaasoppie :ricky:
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2014, 03:17:24 pm »
Now check those knoblies.....

Those tyres would roost the shit out of your mates ! Hahah
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2014, 03:25:37 pm »
The European's are on a roll, and the concervative Japs are loosing more market share by the year. This is not only for bikes but also cars. One who has never swinged his leg over a Ducati, Ktm of now days or MV and even some Triumph models will never know what they miss in life...

I am inclined to agree with you , they may not be faster but they have more soul/character/feel good sensation , a friend who raced a Ducati took a CBR600 round the track and his lap times were faster , but he just didn't feel happy doing it .
I liken it to shagging a blowup doll , it gets the job done but leaves you with an empty feeling .

Couldn't agree more . My other baby ...
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »
... and what she replaced ...
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2014, 03:38:15 pm »
What is the hype around this bike?

Is it it's looks? Is it it's performance?

Considering that this sort of performance have been around in the Jap bike market for sooooo long, it cannot be performance?

Is it the less informed D/S biker learning of high performance bikes in a round about way?

Ai ou Daan, daar is ook GEEN Yamaha wat dit vir my doen nie---- maar ek verstaan dat jy dhulle like.
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Dux

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2014, 04:21:21 pm »

So what you are really saying is we should all feel sorry for 2SDan and his empty blaasoppie :ricky:

2SDan is an old toppie , and I was told to respect old people , so maybe we shouldn't be so harsh , Yamaha do make good piano's  >:D >:D
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2014, 06:13:34 pm »
I must absolutely agree with the Japs being very conservative, always been, and this is not a bad thing altogether. Except that currently there does not seem much in the line of exciting new models coming from the big four.
Dux, taking a bike with big torque around a pass fast is much easier than on a multi. The lowdown torque is just easier out of the corners. HOWEVER, if you go out to be fast, then
a superbike will always beat anything else, it is the riding style that changes. You will find that the superbikes you were dicing, were all probably also shortshifting. :imaposer:
4stroke multi is like a 250 2stroke twin, no use trying to not rev it out, have to be where the power is.

Would be interesting to see how fast this Katoom will lap Killarney. This is the true test. It has a 1minute 13sec to beat. :pot:

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2014, 06:29:54 pm »
I must absolutely agree with the Japs being very conservative, always been, and this is not a bad thing altogether. Except that currently there does not seem much in the line of exciting new models coming from the big four.
Dux, taking a bike with big torque around a pass fast is much easier than on a multi. The lowdown torque is just easier out of the corners. HOWEVER, if you go out to be fast, then
a superbike will always beat anything else, it is the riding style that changes. You will find that the superbikes you were dicing, were all probably also shortshifting. :imaposer:
4stroke multi is like a 250 2stroke twin, no use trying to not rev it out, have to be where the power is.

Would be interesting to see how fast this Katoom will lap Killarney. This is the true test. It has a 1minute 13sec to beat. :pot:

I am sure you can do a 1 min dead on it ...

The older you get the faster you were

I will organise a demo from KTM Cape Town and then meet you at the track with my Casio - please wear ATTGATT - oh well at least your jean pant and T hemp - helmet optional

Onthou jou brille, pille en trille
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Dux

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2014, 07:30:37 pm »
Dux, taking a bike with big torque around a pass fast is much easier than on a multi. The lowdown torque is just easier out of the corners. HOWEVER, if you go out to be fast, then a superbike will always beat anything else, it is the riding style that changes. You will find that the superbikes you were dicing, were all probably also shortshifting. :imaposer:

I personally found myself to be faster over the first section of Franschhoek pass and over the Rooiels road on a Superduke / SpeedTriple / CB1000 type bike than a full out sports bike and trust me I have ridden plenty of bikes over both passes , especially during my time doing road tests for Drive Times / IOL , so I have probably ridden a bigger variety of bikes than most people . But both these passes have low to medium speed corners , when the speed picks up as in the Villiersdorp side of Franschhoek pass then sports bikes are king .
Those sportbikes I came across while riding in the RC8 were all overtaken under braking or just riding round the outside , having a good bike of course helped a lot  ;) .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline BLK

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2014, 07:40:55 pm »
KTM should stick to dirt where they are best.

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 08:08:31 pm »
Can't wait to see a video of Dave Griffin on this beast!
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 10:00:58 pm »

I am sure you can do a 1 min dead on it ...

The older you get the faster you were

I will organise a demo from KTM Cape Town and then meet you at the track with my Casio - please wear ATTGATT - oh well at least your jean pant and T hemp - helmet optional

Onthou jou brille, pille en trille

Ha ha  :imaposer: :imaposer:, if you cannot come near an old top at Macassar, what makes you think your ass is not gonna get whipped at the big K? :3some:

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2014, 04:41:26 am »
I fully agree with you 2SD - I have no hope in matching your skills at the big K

You will be riding and I will be timing with my Casio .... the only thing the Japs still make that is the best in the world   :pot:
The older I get the faster I was

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2014, 08:40:11 am »
The Japs laid the groundwork, and the Europeans has only now caught up.

At least thie KTM uses Japanese electronics, wise choice.

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2014, 09:48:20 am »
The Japs laid the groundwork, and the Europeans has only now caught up.

At least thie KTM uses Japanese electronics, wise choice.

The MT-09 looks good as well-- maybe pit that against our KTM? No matter how fast or how it looks-- if it sells, it works. Take the 1200 for example. :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......