Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Just spotted at RAD Moto the KTM1290 Superduke  (Read 17533 times)

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
Re: Just spotted at RAD Moto the KTM1290 Superduke
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2014, 01:16:04 pm »
Well, Amsterdam, the challenge is out I guess, it is up to you to ASAP go and do some WD investigative riding and testing regarding Killarney laptimes on a 1290.

I would guess at least 5 secs a lap slower than an R1?

Any other estimates?

Who is gonna ride it ? I will probably fall off on the first corner - am much better at K on 4 wheels

If you are serious about lap times then we need at least one other, if not a few, bikes at the same time to compare it against - and the same rider needs to ride all the bikes for the same amount of laps to set each bike's best lap time

Are you up for so much action in one day ? You are mos Danie van Killarney ...

Geriatric clown making stupid comments again ... R1 this .. Yamaha that .... this bike was not designed for lap times, much like the Rocket was not designed for lap times but pumps massive BHP and torque numbers.
Not to forget that they a talking kak about the BHP figures out of an extra 100 cc ..... stupid and childish comments.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2014, 03:01:35 pm »
I'm with 2SD on this, whats the point? 1300 monster bike, but I'll outrun you on a R6, because youre resistance will be so high and you wont be able to han on enough to get over 200km/h

Firstly everythng does not have to have a "point" in order to exist, if this was so we would all be Accountants.......... :biggrin: I am just glad there are still companies and individuals who just want to make and sell crazy machinery for us few souls who still like to scare the sh!t out of ourselves every now and then ;)

Would love to see a 600cc outrun 180HP, a friend of mine spoke to the guys at RAD and apparently the wind deflection is amazing on this bike, even at 200+............. A real hooligan tool of note, not for the faint of heart for sure :thumleft:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Brandt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2014, 03:57:24 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AkX9KnEzQTA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AkX9KnEzQTA</a>

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2014, 05:32:59 pm »
I'm with 2SD on this, whats the point? 1300 monster bike, but I'll outrun you on a R6, because youre resistance will be so high and you wont be able to han on enough to get over 200km/h

Firstly everythng does not have to have a "point" in order to exist, if this was so we would all be Accountants.......... :biggrin: I am just glad there are still companies and individuals who just want to make and sell crazy machinery for us few souls who still like to scare the sh!t out of ourselves every now and then ;)

Would love to see a 600cc outrun 180HP, a friend of mine spoke to the guys at RAD and apparently the wind deflection is amazing on this bike, even at 200+............. A real hooligan tool of note, not for the faint of heart for sure :thumleft:

+3, so easy to make assumptions but we all know assumptions is the mother of all f@#ups!
I had a ride on a gsxr600 the other day and like any other inline four in the 600 class you need to rev its tits off to see any numbers on the dials. There is a market for this 1290, not all men are created equally

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2014, 06:57:00 pm »
Well, Amsterdam, the challenge is out I guess, it is up to you to ASAP go and do some WD investigative riding and testing regarding Killarney laptimes on a 1290.

I would guess at least 5 secs a lap slower than an R1?

Any other estimates?

Who is gonna ride it ? I will probably fall off on the first corner - am much better at K on 4 wheels

If you are serious about lap times then we need at least one other, if not a few, bikes at the same time to compare it against - and the same rider needs to ride all the bikes for the same amount of laps to set each bike's best lap time

Are you up for so much action in one day ? You are mos Danie van Killarney ...

Geriatric clown making stupid comments again ... R1 this .. Yamaha that .... this bike was not designed for lap times, much like the Rocket was not designed for lap times but pumps massive BHP and torque numbers.
Not to forget that they a talking kak about the BHP figures out of an extra 100 cc ..... stupid and childish comments.

Ooooh........how cocky.   Or should I say corky? Or perhaps dorky.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2014, 07:02:14 pm »
Listen, you can call me names all you want, but in the end look at yourself now finding excuses for the existence of this bike.
One says there need to be no point in everything, meaning some things can be pointless?
The other says that this bike was not made for laptimes. ???
Wind deflection is apparently good for over 200......... :imaposer:, even if true, with 180bhp I would certainly like to go faster than that.

Sounds like a lot of hot air excuses.

What is the point :imaposer: of giving a bike this power, and it cannot go fast?? And it is not "built for laptimes" :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2014, 07:04:39 pm »
Die bike sal n bergpas opfok en al die Big Bang R1's laat wonder wat de fok het nou gebeur.

Cocky told you guys this bike is not designed for lap times. :xxbah:

Online Bensien

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2014, 07:23:16 pm »
If you read the road tests you will see that its lap times compare to those of the 1000cc class superbikes. There is a clip on Youtube where they pitted it against an S1000RR. It had better acceleration out of the corners, but the BMW had the advantage on the long straights, where aerodynamics came into play

I have thought long and hard about it and decided not to buy one now. I used to have a heavily modified Busa and every time I got on it I promised myself that I would behave, but I never did. Eventually, scaring myself shitless on a daily basis lost its attraction.   I strongly suspect that this bike will make me do the same.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2014, 07:53:59 pm »
If you read the road tests you will see that its lap times compare to those of the 1000cc class superbikes. There is a clip on Youtube where they pitted it against an S1000RR. It had better acceleration out of the corners, but the BMW had the advantage on the long straights, where aerodynamics came into play

I have thought long and hard about it and decided not to buy one now. I used to have a heavily modified Busa and every time I got on it I promised myself that I would behave, but I never did. Eventually, scaring myself shitless on a daily basis lost its attraction.   I strongly suspect that this bike will make me do the same.

Seems we have suffered from the same syndrome  :peepwall:

Offline Dux

« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2014, 08:19:02 pm »
I am convinced that 2SD is a closet Euro bike lover and actually hates the Yamahahahaha brand , oh well there is no help for some people  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2014, 08:24:00 pm »

I agree - I am keeping my 950SM - it is mildly entertaining and its paltry 98HP is hardly enough to pull the skin off a rice pudding
The older I get the faster I was

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2014, 09:40:45 pm »

I agree - I am keeping my 950SM - it is mildly entertaining and its paltry 98HP is hardly enough to pull the skin off a rice pudding

This is part of the point I am trying to make, your 98HP bike is more than most people can handle, even a so-called expert will go as fast through a pass on a 100HP as someone on a 180HP bike.
There is a limit to what you can put down under acceleration, often the weaker bike can accelerate earlier and enjoy an advantage.
180HP is only good for pulling heavy gearing and high top speed, but now you need a fairing........ >:D

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:46 pm »
Maybe some okes have missed the point of Traction controll and all the electric tech build into the new models which makes these insane power actually 'usable' to a fair extend. The point is; there is a market for this or these bikes, and if you are sceptical go and book a testdrive. It is actually so easy and I do it quite often.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2014, 10:06:03 pm »
Maybe some okes have missed the point of Traction controll and all the electric tech build into the new models which makes these insane power actually 'usable' to a fair extend. The point is; there is a market for this or these bikes, and if you are sceptical go and book a testdrive. It is actually so easy and I do it quite often.

You are right, the traction control does make powerful bikes more managable, this is it's design target.
But TC also brings a 180HP machine down to the real world of 100HP, because 100HP or thereabouts is all you need to lose traction out of a corner. ;)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2014, 10:08:45 pm »
Look at the video put up by Brandt, the tester is doing nothing not done before on many people on a 1985 Suzuki GSX-R streetfighter.

These bikes have a lot of appeal before you own them.

I would absolutely hate to have to own one. :P

Offline Amsterdam

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2014, 10:17:08 pm »
OK, let me come out of the closet and confess that I also once bought a sensible bike.  I bought it with the head and not the heart, as I thought I was now grown up and needed something, well, sensible.  The bike in question was a BMW R80RT.  It was boring, slow and scraped the cylinder heads on the ground around Chappies.

So since then I have let the heart and lust rule.  And so it will be again for the next bike.  It will not be faster than a super bike around a race track but I hope it will be stupendous fun cause that is actually why I ride bikes.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 890 Rally

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2014, 07:02:18 am »
OK, let me come out of the closet and confess that I also once bought a sensible bike.  I bought it with the head and not the heart, as I thought I was now grown up and needed something, well, sensible.  The bike in question was a BMW R80RT.  It was boring, slow and scraped the cylinder heads on the ground around Chappies.

So since then I have let the heart and lust rule.  And so it will be again for the next bike.  It will not be faster than a super bike around a race track but I hope it will be stupendous fun cause that is actually why I ride bikes.

Stupendous fun, I like that  :thumleft:
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline Dux

« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2014, 07:28:15 am »

Stupendous fun, I like that  :thumleft:

Agree wholeheartedly , I have ridden lots of bikes over the years , some have just been plain simply good but did nothing for me , others perhaps weren't as efficient , but I had really good times on those bikes , I would definitely buy the latter .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2014, 07:32:43 am »
Indeed this 1290 would be stupendous fun.

Just please note though how it has shrunk in stature from a superbike killer[Dux and Manic] to simply stupendous fun.

But I agree, stupendous fun is good.