Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Where do SANRAL get our details from?  (Read 5768 times)

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
Where do SANRAL get our details from?
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:47:56 am »
Seems like most have received invoiced although there are still many like myself who have received nothing.

Where do they get our contact details from?

If I am correct then they are not allowed to get it from e-natis? Is that so?

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
Re: Where do SANRAL get our details from?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:39:12 am »

I would like to know as well ?

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 08:59:56 am »
As far as speculation goes, they are NOT linked to eNatis, and it seems that they have access to data from www.payfine.co.za, now www.paycity.co.za by Syntell, who have been awarded the contract by SANRAL for the debt collection.

They do explicitly state on their website that "Please be advised that payCity has not given out, nor will we ever give out, any of our users's details to SANRAL or to any other third party."

The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 09:43:27 am »

Paymyfines.co.za belong to Kapsch. Wonder if it is the same for paycity.co.za
http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry-news/pay-fine-online-get-e-toll-bill-1.1623869#.UxQwbPnbPEw
A domain search of etcrecovery.co.za and paymyfines.co.za shows they are both owned and operated by TMT Services (Pty) Ltd, the South African company that is part of the Austrian company Kapsch TrafficCom, which runs the e-toll project.

Those site explain how they can get your email address and maybe phone number, but if I remember correctly then postal and/or physical address is not part of the registration.

The latter two is a mystery to my. Wonder if there is a correlation to eNatis address and Sanral invoices. Maybe someone who has an old eNatis address or multiple postal address can confirm if it correspond or differ to Sanral invoice?

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 09:57:08 am »
But www.paymyfines.co.za only handles fines for these areas:
Bela Bela
Bitou (Plettenberg Bay)
Dihlabeng (Bethlehem)
Emakhazeni (Belfast)
Hibiscus Coast
Knysna
Langeberg (Robertson)
Maquassi Hills (Wolmaransstad)
Mogale City (Krugersdorp)
Mossel Bay
Msunduzi (Pietermaritzburg)
Mthonjaneni (Melmoth)
Oudtshoorn
Stellenbosch
Swellendam
Tzaneen
uMhlathuze (Richards Bay)
uMlalazi (Eshowe)
uMngeni (Howick)
Westonaria

No mention of anything in Pretoria or JHB?  How could they have any details for anyone who might use these on a regular basis??

The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 10:30:31 am »
When I got a call from the VPC, they told me they got my details from e-Natis.

Offline Bundu

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 11:29:53 am »
I think they get most of it from e-Natis, but seem to not regularly update their database or e-Natis is stuffed (which it is)

I changed my postal address last year in Jun/July, when I renewed my car licence, as I'm cancelling my PO Box - I've received 3 invoices to date and all at my PO Box, which the postal service have not changed the lock yet - as soon as the lock is changed, my invoices will stop, which is fine by me

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 12:11:39 pm »
Beyond your address detail - Paycity also has your credit card info if use them e.g. to buy electricity via SMS.

With a small one sided amendment in the user agreement, they can sneak in SANRAL toll fee deductions, I am sure...

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline ButchH

• Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 05:53:44 pm »
From the cell phone crowd Vodacom defiantly sold my info to them ( defy them to prove otherwise)
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 07:33:31 am »
From the cell phone crowd Vodacom defiantly sold my info to them ( defy them to prove otherwise)

How do they prove that they DIDN'T sell anything?  ;D

I also don't understand how useful Vodacom's data will be - since they don't have any vehicle registration detail.

Offline ButchH

• Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 12:27:13 pm »

I also don't understand how useful Vodacom's data will be - since they don't have any vehicle registration detail.

I received a invoice and a threat of litigation via a vodacom number no name no registration .When I quaried the only info they had was the cell number . So you tell me  :deal:
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 12:33:21 pm »

I received a invoice and a threat of litigation via a vodacom number no name no registration .When I quaried the only info they had was the cell number . So you tell me  :deal:

So how are they billing you when they don't have vehicle reg???

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 12:33:51 pm »

How do they prove that they DIDN'T sell anything?  ;D

I received a invoice and a threat of litigation via a vodacom number no name no registration .When I quaried the only info they had was the cell number . So you tell me  :deal:

+1 With IDR

Mobile operators have nothing about my vehicles.  If you only have my vehicle reg number then the mobile companies are of no use. 
Other sources, like eNatis, will have my mobile number though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:36:08 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 12:36:44 pm »
What database did the police search in the days before eNatis?

Offline ButchH

• Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 08:24:18 pm »

How do they prove that they DIDN'T sell anything?  ;D

I received a invoice and a threat of litigation via a vodacom number no name no registration .When I quaried the only info they had was the cell number . So you tell me  :deal:

+1 With IDR

Mobile operators have nothing about my vehicles.  If you only have my vehicle reg number then the mobile companies are of no use. 
Other sources, like eNatis, will have my mobile number though.

ok slowly this time I bought a starter pack Vodacom for my android I did not need to provide a motor vehicle registration number  in order to purchase the said starter pack . One month old (the starter pack) and I receive  an invoice  and a threat of legal action if I don't pay. All they have is cell number and Rica info. ??( like explaining to the Russians to leave Crimea before they get their asses handed to them )
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200

Offline Bundu

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 08:30:05 pm »
it's 10 to one a recycled number - you're getting the previous guys bills - just ignore

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 08:30:35 pm »
so maybe the correlate id on rica with id on enatis and so link you up?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Berg Man

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 06:21:08 am »
I'm sure they are getting the details from Natis. My father-in-law just got an etoll account from January. Thing is, he died in September last year. The car is in Jhb to be sold, we are in kzn.

He would not have been registered on payfine or anything like that. His cellphone was in his wifes name, so its not that. To my mind, it can only be eNatis.
Anyway, good luck collecting those fees.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 10:17:04 am »
ok slowly this time I bought a starter pack Vodacom for my android I did not need to provide a motor vehicle registration number  in order to purchase the said starter pack . One month old (the starter pack) and I receive  an invoice  and a threat of legal action if I don't pay. All they have is cell number and Rica info. ??( like explaining to the Russians to leave Crimea before they get their asses handed to them )

Think you are in the wrong thread. We are not talking about general debt collection. We are talking about Sanral getting our contact details. Postal address to be more specific.  Who is the "they" you are referring to? Is it SANRAL?

Never heard of Sanral just sending a threat to a mobile phone without linking it to a value or invoice. IOW they have your mobile number number linked to a vehicle registration.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:46:26 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline Bundu

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 11:25:41 am »
ok slowly this time I bought a starter pack Vodacom for my android I did not need to provide a motor vehicle registration number  in order to purchase the said starter pack . One month old (the starter pack) and I receive  an invoice  and a threat of legal action if I don't pay. All they have is cell number and Rica info. ??( like explaining to the Russians to leave Crimea before they get their asses handed to them )

Think you are in the wrong thread. We are not talking about general debt collection. We are talking about Sanral getting our contact details. Postal address to be more specific.  Who is the "they" you are referring to?

Never heard of Sanral just sending a threat to a mobile phone without linking it to a value or invoice. IOW they have your mobile number number linked to a vehicle registration.

something that also seems to be happening quite a lot, is the following scenario:
I have vehicle X and you have vehicle Y
Vehicle Y has a cell nr coupled to it
You, the owner of Vehicle Y have cancelled your cell contract and are using the e-toll roads
That cell number has since been allocated to me
I get threatened by Sanral for your e-toll debt

These cases I would just ignore, as Sanral does not have my name, but has your name