Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Groot Marico Brunch  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Grootseun

Groot Marico Brunch
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:40:01 am »
Although I do not own a Digital camera of any sorts, I will start the Groot Marico Report, I know Journeyman and Funacide took some peektcha’s and I am sure they will post soon.

It was a chilly Sunday morning when we met at the Sasol Pinehaven where thanx to the Think Bike dudes, the coffee is free!! We met some new faces there, bla and myself helped some dude pick up his panniered 1200 (new) off the ground as I think he forgot to put out his stand, his leg was stuck between the pavement and his ‘xorst. After coffee was consumed, we set off at about 08:30

Bla had the route which included some very dusty dirt with some mielie fields on either side. The roads seem to have been freshly graded, with a lot of loose stones and some sizeble rocks in some areas.

The road into groot marico was absolutely awesome….the best I have experienced on a bike.. the pic’s will tell that story. After dodging a suicidal baboon (with baby on her back) and surviving that heart attack of something leaping out of the bushes onto the road while doing 90km/h and braking hard… we arrived in Groot Marico … like everyone said on the forum….that place is dead on a Sunday….we managed to find the only open place to eat, the BJ’s on the N2 Highway…had some lunch and headed home on the highway.

Bla,fun and Zonkel soon disappeared into the distance as Me, Journeyman and Dion stuck to more or less 130-140km/h, just before Rustenburg, we found mr and mrs funacide waiting for us, and joined us where we met up with the rest of the jaagduiwels looking for a place to get off the higway to get to the upperdeck for some cold refreshment.

The upperdeck was packed, and not an open table was in sight. So we decided to head our separate ways.

Thanx to all who attended, Bla bla for the route and a realy enjoyable ride.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 10:09:46 am »
Would not have found the route in a million years without the GPS! Thank Bla-bla.

Thanks Grootseun for organising. Thanks Funacide for riding sweeper.

Following members joined:

Funacide & Bla-Bla (Both with their better,better,better halves!), myself, Grootseun, Zonkelnut, Deon and another person which I can't remeber the name of. My apologies but not sure if he is a member.

Was cold on the way to Pinehaven. My hand was numb. No heated grips.

At Pinehaven with all the roadies as well.  Coffee is free for all bikers!

A guy and his son (about 7) stopped and dropped his bike (1200GS) Not sure what happened. Bla-Bla came to the rescue. (No pic)

From there tar to the first dirt. Lekker hard, wide riding conditions. Level 1-2.

Me and Fun fooling around.

First stop.

Then more dirt. Level 1-2 riding.

Deon and Funacide/C.

Tried to take another pic of Fun alone but only managed some detail dirt! :oops:  :lol:  

Then on to another dirt strech. Level 1-2. I went ahead to take some pics.

While waiting.

Bla-Bla and M.

Grootseun

Zonkelnut. "Look mom! No feet"

Deon.

Funacide and C showing the awesome progress they've made regarding pillion on dirt.

From there we started on the last strecht towards Groot Marico. What a stunning "Pass". I say pass because the whole section was up-and-down and twisties. Breathtaking scenery and lekker riding conditions. Was the most enjoyable part of the trip.

At the end of this strecht I nearly lost it right at the end. Approaching a corner with some speed (Getting better at the cornering thing now after a chat with Shark) and as I went through, there was a stop sign/railroad crossing not 30 meters ahead!  :shock: No sign before the corner indicating a crossing ahead! :shock:  Moment of schock, oh shite resulting in me going wide, target fixation on the Stop sign almost causing the Stop sign to "physically" stop me! :shock:  Managed to miss the stop sign and was over the rail line with no chance to stop.

Did not take any pictures after this. After luch at BJ's, we hit tar back to Upperdeck where the rest stopped for a cold one. I had to move on home to attend sick children.

Thanks to all. Was great. Next time a bit earler away (Summer) in order to do the rest of the dirt planned.
He who angers you, controls you.

shark_za

Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 11:00:45 am »
Ah , looks good.
The topo map promised something interesting on the last stretch to GM and it didnt dissapoint.
A definate option for an overnighter sometime.

Thnaks for sharing.

Offline Grootseun

Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:17:22 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"
Ah , looks good.
The topo map promised something interesting on the last stretch to GM and it didnt dissapoint.

Thnaks for sharing.

The last streatch really is something shark...a must ride....just watch out for them baboons...

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 11:30:46 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"
Ah , looks good.

Thnaks for sharing.

As usual the pictures doesn't show the gradients. The road starts down from about where the clumps of threes 11 o'clock top of the picture are. Not straight. Twisting the whole way. Just before the signpost, that dip. From where the pic was taken, the bikes dissapeared into the dip and then back up. Was like that all the way. :P

Offline Rebel

• Forum Vendor
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • http://www.countrytrax.co.za
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 12:03:09 pm »
anyone got a GPS track file they are willing to post ?

We have a farm in Ottoshoop, about 40km past Zeerust,
and Im doing some route planning for a trip there in the near future.

We can sleep over there. No problem.

Off road motorcycle training academy, for all brands of dualsport and enduro bikes
http://www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 12:32:00 pm »
Jis ouens dit lyk moer lekker!
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 12:56:46 pm »
B#GGER,
Missed a ride that looks like it would have suited the GSV nicely, instead I go on the weekends where we play in river beds, I must be a masochist.

Welshie    :twisted:  8)
Putting the Drunken Pagan Debauchery back into Christmas.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 01:28:18 pm »
nice ride guys  :wink:
it does look lekker in those hills  :D

i also think its the first pic of blabla that i have seen, where he is sitting whilst riding gravel  :D  :wink: (these courses must help)

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 01:51:40 pm »
Great report & photos guys.  :thumbleft:  :thumbleft: Next time I want to join.
I took that route a while back, but solo, nice to have company sometimes.
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 02:38:36 pm »
What an awesome trip it was. First out thanks to all the peeps for joining in on the trip and to BLA BLA for leading on his BIRTHDAY!

So we all met at Sasol Pinehaven at 08h00 for the trip to Groot Marico. Damn it was cold on the way there. The peeps that joined were as follows:
BLA-BLA and Mrs Sheep ? 1200GS
Journeyman ? Dakar
Grootseun ? Dakar
Zonkelnut - TA
Deon ? 1150 GS
Myself and Mrs Funacide ? 1200GS
Rian 1150 GS (he turned back early due to family commitments)

From Sasol Pinehaven, we turned out towards Ventersdorp on tar before hitting the first dirt section, with BLA-BLA leading and me playing sweeper. About half an hour into the trip, it seemed to get even colder. The first section of dirt was mostly hard packed highway type stuff.

Journeyman and Myself riding at the back had to make an unscheduled pee stop. All the coffee going straight through.

The wife looking like a storm trooper

At our first very welcome (a bit of time to warm up and have a smoke was much appreciated)

From there we headed out towards Koster on about 30 or 40km?s of tar before hitting some really fun sections of dirt (there were long stretches of soft sand on the road that made life a bit interesting).

Our second stop of the morning, where Rian turned around.

From here it was dirt all the way into Groot Marico. An Shark, you were right, there is some of the most awesome roads and scenery on the way into Groot Marico with lots of turns and single lane river crossings. I recommend that piece of dirt to anybody to go and ride.

As mentioned earlier, all we could find to eat in that place (Groot Marico) was the BJ?s on the N4 highway.

From here we decided to go straight home on the highway. Just a reminder that DS bike are awesome. All the way on mostly dirt and then back home at top speed on the black stuff!!!!

Hats off to my better half, first long trip on dirt as a pillion and she handled it brilliantly. The only problem being when we hit a bump in the road (while standing) and her foot came off the pegs. (STILL TRYING TO FIND proper pillion pegs for the GS)

Thanks again to all for the trip, it was awesome. There are also some other roads I saw turning off the main road we followed which looked interesting for the future!!!
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 03:14:14 pm »
geez! jman comes out for his annual ride and i miss it :D !
tx for the feedback, cuteness and i plan to go there soon and have a sleepover somewhere in the region. will keep you posted.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 03:27:03 pm »
Quote from: "wino"
geez! jman comes out for his annual ride and i miss it :D !

Ag gaan skyt man! :oops:  :lol:

and have a sleepover somewhere in the region

A two day trip would be better. Lots of riding opportunities there. Or get going 05H00 in the summer.

Offline Grootseun

Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 04:45:55 pm »

Ahh, I see you took a picture of me just after the pump attendant washed the dust and bugs from my teeth with those little squeegee thingies.. see how shiny white they are???

Offline Leo

Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 07:33:24 pm »
Nice one guys.

You definately had more fun than we had coming back from Graskop on the N4 :?
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 08:38:55 pm »
'COOL' ride guys, sorry I couldn't make it, next time...
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Nico

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 08:46:39 pm »
Hey Grootseun, are those them DMD pants you got on?

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 08:56:08 pm »
And it is only a TA that can brighten up a cold day like that. A shining star.  :P  
But what was that? An angel ... no wait ... a bright fairy maybe?

100001 110010 1101010

Offline Grootseun

Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 07:57:17 am »
Quote from: "nico"
Hey Grootseun, are those them DMD pants you got on?

It's Akito cougar pants, got them from my father-in law who bought them in the uk... they are very nice and warm in winter... and like a sauna in summer.

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
  • If not now, when?
    • Botsepehi Consulting
Groot Marico Brunch
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 01:19:26 pm »
Sorry for the late reply guys and C, but thanks for a lekker ride.  Must agree, the road to Groot Marico must be done again!!!!!!!!
Ek het familie wat nie bloed is nie