Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How motorcycle accidents happend  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
How motorcycle accidents happend
« on: February 07, 2008, 12:38:08 pm »
Here is a very good summary found on the web.  Please read and take cognizance of the facts.

In the USA there were 67,000 motorcycles involved in police-reported crashes in 1996, of which 40 percent (27,000) were single vehicle crashes. Many of the causes of motorcycle crashes may be attributed to lack of experience or failure to appreciate the inherent operating characteristics and limitations of the motorcycle.

These factors require motorcyclists to take special precautions and place more emphasis on defensive driving. A motorcyclist, for example, has to be more alert at intersections, where most motorcycle-vehicle collisions occur.

About one-third of multi-vehicle motorcycle crashes are a result of other motorists turning into the path of the motorcycle. More than other vehicle drivers, motorcyclists must remain visible at all times, and anticipate what might happen. For example, motorcyclists must anticipate that drivers making left turns may not see them and prepare to make defensive manoeuvres. They also must be more cautious when riding in inclement weather, on slippery surfaces, or when encountering obstacles on the roadway.

Motorcyclists must place greater reliance on their helmet, eye protection, and clothing to reduce the severity of injury should they become involved in a crash.

Every new motorcyclist should attend a motorcycle training course to learn how to safely operate a motorcycle.

Offline Kobus

• RPMods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: How motorcycle accidents happend
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 12:43:21 pm »
I've been wanting a thread where people share why they had accidents so that we can all learn from it.

It will be great if people can add to this.

Thanks for posting.

Kobus
Dream like you will live forever, live like you're going to die tomorrow

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 01:06:03 pm »
Some can be avoided some can't.

I had an XT 500 with....well..... XT 500 brakes. Doing about 100 on a secondary road during dusk (very important). As I approached intersection, idiot in a Nissan bakkie on the way to the same int. but from the opposite side, decided to turn (to his right) directly accross my flight plan. Eeeeeeeehhh .................Bwam.................silence............. XT and rider foooooooked, Nissan front suspension also foooked. Passenger glass in face ...........driver, fine!!

You just can't be carefull enough through intersections.
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline Stofstreep

• Semi-retired
  • Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Hot and humid
    • On a Dust cloud in Africa
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:29:54 pm »
Flat tire!!! :(
I through a cursory glance at the tires before I get on now!
Be careful of the words you say.
And keep them soft and sweet.
For you never know from day to day.
Which ones you'll have to eat.

Bospadda

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 09:08:51 am »
Getting over confident and "cocky"  :(

Offline Crab

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:18:34 am »
I have had 3 accidents involving cars in a period of 32 years of riding, and in every case it was a car approaching from the front who executed a right hand turn across my path and collided with me.
They were all unavoidable, happened in clear conditions, and did not involve excessive speed.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Race Dog
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:29:57 am »
I have had 3 accidents involving cars in a period of 32 years of riding, and in every case it was a car approaching from the front who executed a right hand turn across my path and collided with me.
They were all unavoidable, happened in clear conditions, and did not involve excessive speed.

Bliksem

How many boes have you broken??

I believe I would have been better off if the XT had some braking power, but then I may have hit the canopy and not the bonnet, who know.?
Intersections are my biggest fear, especially the higway ones. I commute from Melkbos every day on tha N7 and have 4 of them en route, I try to stay close to a cage when crossing them to improve visibility and I switch the brights on. I even have an orange lens cover to make me more visible.

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:51:20 am »
1st accident I was following a car too closely in the rain. The car in front of it (whom presumably didn't know the area well) got on his brakes hard to turn into a side-street. I slammed on the brakes and the front tire gave up on grip. Check me sliding on my bum with the cars in front moving on ahead in the mean time with the car that wanted to turn going for the next side-street. No damage to the bike other than a couple of scratches and I only had bruises.

2nd accident I was commuting to work and the last 3km is a long straight. When I got to the intersection I had to turn at, my bike got out from under me just as I leaned over. The rear tire went flat on the straight from a nail that I picked up, but stayed on the rim due to the easy going and centrifugal force, then got off the rim as I turned. The bike got chips on the rim and I got a bruised ego and a 500m push to work.

3rd accident I was splitting on a 2-way road with no cars coming from the front, passing a line of standing cars on my left. As I was splitting, just after a traffic light a guy pulled out from the line of cars to make a u-turn over a solid line. Clipped me and although I didn't come off my left rear foot peg was bent, the plastics was cracked and stickers damaged. I got away with nothing wrong at all.

4th accident I went to a year-end function at some venue off the beaten track. Basically tar road, then about 1km dirt road, then the venue had its own road tarred as well. Left after dark and was happily passing the other cars on the private road as I didn't need to slow down for the speed-bumps that much. Next thing I see dirt patches coming by and I knew I was at the T-junction (that had no reflective signs to indicate it was there) to the dirt road. Got on the brakes and almost managed to get to a stop before my front tire gave up on grip. Some scratches to the handlebars and mirror and I only got a bruised ego again, as my buddies saw it happen.

5th accident I was splitting between cars standing at a traffic light. As I approached the line in front the light turned green. I accelerated and for some reason the taxi at the front right-hand side decides it's a good idea to cut across to the left (in front of the other cars as well) in order to get into the street crossing the intersection. His bulbar clipped my handlebar and I went wobbling down the street for 50m. He tries to get away, but a guy in a BMW chases him down and they both return to the scene. Bike had bent forks (which I only found out later) and I had sore shoulder muscles for a week.

Canā??t count the number of times Iā??ve clipped someone elseā??s mirror with mine. Have had no accidents since (all of those happened in the first six months of bike ownership) and it's been 2 and a half years.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:58:13 am by malJohann »
Don't waste any more time.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline Pom

• Amateur Grease Monkey
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Hypermotard
  • Non bastardus carborundum
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 11:12:51 am »
Crap left lying on the roads from other vehicles.
I am terrified of connecting a stripped tyre from a truck,
I came down because of a gum pole on the highway, not nice >:(
Success is a matter of hanging on, after others have let go.
Proudly Ducatisti

Offline Crab

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 12:09:46 pm »

Bliksem

How many boes have you broken??

I believe I would have been better off if the XT had some braking power, but then I may have hit the canopy and not the bonnet, who know.?
Intersections are my biggest fear, especially the higway ones. I commute from Melkbos every day on tha N7 and have 4 of them en route, I try to stay close to a cage when crossing them to improve visibility and I switch the brights on. I even have an orange lens cover to make me more visible.

Broke my femur when a car turned across a painted island into my path in Port Alfred.
Otherwise no other injuries.
Here are some pics of the last off when Megan Hall drove into me at a level crossing and denied it was her fault.
Her insurance paid out for the bikes damages anyway.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:14:14 pm by Crab »
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Race Dog
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 12:41:11 pm »
Is that your Black label bottle next to your helmet? ;D

Who is Megan Hall?

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 01:57:10 pm »
The perp.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline SuperJuice

• I R POZER (with no fooking bike)
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: New Hudson (all models)
  • His Eminence & Founder of Boobism
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 02:02:44 pm »
At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 02:31:01 pm »
The perp.

She looks HAWT!

That's my Superjuice! Always look at the boob side of life.  ;D

Erm, or should I rather adress you as Eminence and Founder of Boobism. Sorry, your holiness, I just got overexcited, hence the uncalled for familiarity.  :P
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline kois

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Durbanville Cape Town
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 02:33:08 pm »
mmm, getting my bike in three weeks time and I have been practicing not to get road rage while driving my car.  Quite a challenge when most people drive like idiots these days.  One thing I can tell you, if someone does bang into me and Im able to get up afterwards, they will definitely be worse off.

Offline Leo

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 08:29:52 pm »
In all the cases the first words she (they) said to me was: " ... but I didn't see you"

So the sollution - buy all women drivers @#$%^& glasses so they can $%^&* see  ;)

Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline droffarc

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 09:18:30 pm »
Leo, you obviously have a fettish thing about women with glasses ;D

I nearly hit one of these buggers this morning lane splitting. They just don't get it. When you look in the mirrors (doing 20km/h) they are not there so you indicate and start changing lanes then the idiot is right there doing 100 getting pissed off with you. I am a biker and commute as often as possible on the bike so I always make sure I look for bikes. Can you imagine non bikers getting really pissed off. Then you see the idiot in front shoving his foot into a car that does the same thing. Sorry but I don't know who some of these guys think they are. Cars also have a right to change lanes.

RANT OFF

I think that Funacide has a point there.

As for this Hall chick - something dos not look right on those pics - like why is the STOP painted on the road facing the OTHER way - probably because of the structure of the roads/adjoining roads. Clearly if that is where she stopped and that is where the KLR stopped, then she WAS in the wrong and maybe needs more than glasses - LEO! He does not have her address! Sit down and behave!
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 11:05:46 pm »
Ja the markings on that intersection are weird.

Agree with previous posters: you can have fun at whatever speed out on the gravel, might break a bone or stretch a ligament but as long as you wear your kit you'll be OK.

Ride within your limitations and that of your bike. (Andy950, the brakes on my XT550 were so bad I had to ride down Eselbank in first gear. On a robot-to-robot dice with a Ducati 900 Monster I was ahead when I gingerly had to put the front wheel down as I hit 3rd otherwise I would not have been able to stop at the next robot. 3rd on an XT is about 50 m)

My close escape last Sunday at the R27/Melkbos intersection is documented under the Alternative ride. Intersections are killers. (still soaking those undrpants)   
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 11:07:02 am »
I had my XT for two months when one day I was cruising down a long downhill close to my home. I wasn't going fast, less than 60km/h when I noticed a laaitie on a bicycle motoring downhill. I went wide to pass him but at the last moment he swerved right to go into the side road. We met by accident and the best I could do in that split second was to put the bike down on the left side. I still took out this bicycle from underneath him but did not make impact with him. He just lost some skin on the tar but I hit the ground harder and when I woke up there was a crowd gathered.  I remember thinking, "now that was a stupid dream!"  :D  Broke some ribs and minor skin loss. The bike slid 5 or 6 meters on its left side so except for the handle bar the damage was cosmetic. Repair job R22k by the laaitie's dad.  Luckily I had all the gear on. 

The laaitie claimed that he did not hear a vehicle coming and therefore he did not look. Now I have loud pipes on!  ;D  The loud pipes makes a big difference in traffic because I can see the people looking in their mirrors to see where the bike is.  +1000 for load pipes!
Lourens de Lange

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 11:36:02 am »
How do M/C accidents happen.....quickly