Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Gouws Traffic Ghost squad car at it again  (Read 5025 times)

Offline plaky

Gouws Traffic Ghost squad car at it again
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:17:59 am »
My mate at work was pulled off and fined on the N2 in Cape Town by the infamous Inspector Gouws or whatever you call him, I could mention many other names!!! His first offence was for  not indicating lanes which my mate disputes. He also did not have number plates on his car. He was fined R500 for each plate and R300 for not indicating. He conviscated my mates license disk and said that the car is not roadworthy even though the number plates where in his windscreen. He got very aggressive with my mate when he started to question him so he back off in case he was going to get arrested. Do any of the Dogs know if this is legal what Mr Gouws did? How can he say that the car is not roadworthy?
I was also fined a few months ago for not indicating on my bike by this dude. Does anyone have a contact at Gallows Hill traffic dept where his boss can be notified of this dudes attitude?

Offline MartV

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Gouws Traffic Ghost squad car at it again
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:47:00 am »
Need some of these guys  :snorting: here in GP, loads of people braking the law now with e-tolls.
Your car/bike can be taken off the road if you fail to have number plates showing/ if he really wants to be a head ass about it.
KTM 990 07
Husaburg 12
Have been
Husky 450 06
Husky 450 04 Cr 250 98 WR 250 93 IT 250 82 Happiest when on two wheels

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:57:35 am »
Need some of these guys  :snorting: here in GP, loads of people braking the law now with e-tolls.
Your car/bike can be taken off the road if you fail to have number plates showing/ if he really wants to be a head ass about it.

You are wrong. Failure to display a number plate on a bike does not make the bike un- roadworthy.

I take it you are one of the wooshes with an etag?

Offline Sparky

• a darkside
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 12:03:06 pm »
Any vehicle without a numberplate is seen as not roadworthy by CCT traffic cops. They will pull you over and fine you. They can impound as well in extreme cases.
"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Offline spankme

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 12:18:54 pm »
Puuled a load of road bikes off at engen one stop on the N1 and fined them for no plates,they had to fit plates or have bikes collected

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 12:23:36 pm »
Any vehicle without a numberplate is seen as not roadworthy by CCT traffic cops. They will pull you over and fine you. They can impound as well in extreme cases.

They might be able to impound a car without plates, but not a bike. They need another reason to impound a bike (most I heard about was due to no licence disc)

Offline MartV

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 01:15:03 pm »

You are wrong. Failure to display a number plate on a bike does not make the bike un- roadworthy.

I take it you are one of the wooshes with an etag?

I do have a plate  but no e-tag, let Sanrail do there job, send me statements, they go straight to file 13(bin), if they wanna be assholes about it :snorting: they will load your bike onto trailers and send you on your way, hope you have a phone handy.
KTM 990 07
Husaburg 12
Have been
Husky 450 06
Husky 450 04 Cr 250 98 WR 250 93 IT 250 82 Happiest when on two wheels

Offline plaky

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 01:22:48 pm »
He did have plates but on the sills of the back and front window. He said to this D%%S that his plates kept being stolen so that his why he keeps them in the car. True or not is not the issue, can he take his licence disk away and ask for the car to be road worthy'd again? What does AARTO say re this? I am normally quite good on things like this especially fines, but this is a first for me! Why shoul the rules be different between cars and bikes aon this? He was given a white peice of paper to say that the car is registered but has two weeks to get plates on and car roadworthy. Money making scam again! Gouws also need to be sorted out and this is a bit extreeme, what about the taxi's on the N2 cuasing thier daily havoc!

Offline ZK1

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 01:26:45 pm »

They might be able to impound a car without plates, but not a bike. They need another reason to impound a bike (most I heard about was due to no licence disc)
Why would that be for a car but not a bike? I have a plate on, but it's perspex and a tad smaller then the required size(Bought it that way).
2012 Yamaha XT660z (Sold)
2007 KX250 2T (Sold)
2002 CR250 2T (Sold)
1998 CR125 2T (Sold)
1990 KX125 2T (Sold)

Offline Sam

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 04:05:39 pm »

Why would that be for a car but not a bike? I have a plate on, but it's perspex and a tad smaller then the required size(Bought it that way).

This exact scenario happened to me in Somerset West on my roadbike at the beginning of last year. Not sure what the vark's name was, but he had a really bad attitude - in fact, I noticed a couple of the other cops at the roadblock shaking their heads and walking away when he started causing kak.

Long story short - I didn't have a plate on the bike. Have been fined R500 for this in the past. He declared the bike (Duc 999) unroadworthy for the following;
1) no red reflector
2) no numberplate light (bike didn't come with one - the rear light is angled to shine onto the numberplate)
3) In order to not appear to "obvious", I had told him that the numberplate bracket had broken. He stated that it had been removed, and that tampering with / changing the vehicle's "structure" after it had been roadworthy'd voided the roadworthiness of the vehicle (tell that to all the cars that replace standard rims with mags.....)

Apparently the "law" states that if there are 3 or more "deficiencies" on the vehicle, it is no longer roadworthy. So - he knew that the missing numberplate was a R500 fine, and could see that I didn't really mind that (fair bust), he went out of his way to make as much trouble as possible.

He threatened to impound the bike, but ended up tearing up the license disk, declaring the bike unroadworthy. (lovely thing about that is that if you have an accident between there and riding home, insurance won't cover you). He told me not to try to just obtain a copy of the licence disk / renew the license disk, as enatis would reflect that it had to be re-roadworthied.

Took it to be roadworthied, with no changes other than putting the plate back on. No questions asked. Cost R120, and about an hour of my time, so ended up cheaper than the R500 fine.

Bottom line is that he bent the law to suit his purposes / agenda. Left a REALLY bad taste.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 07:39:44 pm »

This exact scenario happened to me in Somerset West on my roadbike at the beginning of last year. Not sure what the vark's name was, but he had a really bad attitude - in fact, I noticed a couple of the other cops at the roadblock shaking their heads and walking away when he started causing kak.

Long story short - I didn't have a plate on the bike. Have been fined R500 for this in the past. He declared the bike (Duc 999) unroadworthy for the following;
1) no red reflector
2) no numberplate light (bike didn't come with one - the rear light is angled to shine onto the numberplate)
3) In order to not appear to "obvious", I had told him that the numberplate bracket had broken. He stated that it had been removed, and that tampering with / changing the vehicle's "structure" after it had been roadworthy'd voided the roadworthiness of the vehicle (tell that to all the cars that replace standard rims with mags.....)

Apparently the "law" states that if there are 3 or more "deficiencies" on the vehicle, it is no longer roadworthy. So - he knew that the missing numberplate was a R500 fine, and could see that I didn't really mind that (fair bust), he went out of his way to make as much trouble as possible.

He threatened to impound the bike, but ended up tearing up the license disk, declaring the bike unroadworthy. (lovely thing about that is that if you have an accident between there and riding home, insurance won't cover you). He told me not to try to just obtain a copy of the licence disk / renew the license disk, as enatis would reflect that it had to be re-roadworthied.

Took it to be roadworthied, with no changes other than putting the plate back on. No questions asked. Cost R120, and about an hour of my time, so ended up cheaper than the R500 fine.

Bottom line is that he bent the law to suit his purposes / agenda. Left a REALLY bad taste.

But Sam, you bent the law first. :pot:

Offline DikZol

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Jer 1:17-19
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:11 pm »
On what authority can aj officer tear up a licence disc?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 08:05:50 pm »

In die SAW was daai vernietiging van staatseiendom. Gousdous sal vir hom n DD1 gekry het. :patch:

Offline Sparky

• a darkside
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 08:13:44 pm »
Dis nogal snaaks, almal sal juig as onpadwaardige taxis van die pad af gehaal word. Maar dieselfde reels moenie vir jou geld nie.

Nee wat, vat jou pak.

Ek vat self kanse, maar as ek gevang word, gaan ek nie moan daaroor nie.

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 08:19:16 pm »
Dis nogal snaaks, almal sal juig as onpadwaardige taxis van die pad af gehaal word. Maar dieselfde reels moenie vir jou geld nie.

Nee wat, vat jou pak.

Ek vat self kanse, maar as ek gevang word, gaan ek nie moan daaroor nie.

:laughing4: :laughing4: ek het self gesmile......en ek is een van die dubbelstandaard skuldiges. :ricky:

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 09:04:00 am »
Stem saam as die fiets nie padwaardig is nie, skeur die disk op. Die feit van die saak is dat 'n motorfiets sonder n nommerplaat nie onpadwaardig is nie, daar is 'n R 500.00 boete daarvoor. Pleks doen die misbaksel dit met die onpadwaardige taxis, busse en bakkies sonder remme en stuurwiele.

Offline DikZol

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 09:14:49 am »

In die SAW was daai vernietiging van staatseiendom. Gousdous sal vir hom n DD1 gekry het. :patch:

My point is that the licence disc is an official document. It serves little purpose to tear it up. Just do a reprint. Fact is he has no right to destroy your property....you paid for that disc. How can he alow you to drive without one? My bike and numberplate is always in top condition except for some dirt sometimes.

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:19 am »
My damn number plate always fall off, it just won't stay in place, that is why I carry it in my luggage, so I do not loose it.

Was in a road block a couple of months ago, on my way to Harties, licence disk holder cracked through, luckily I spotted it and put it in my jacket pocket. Traffic cop had no issues with me.

Offline DikZol

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 09:23:11 am »
My damn number plate always fall off, it just won't stay in place, that is why I carry it in my luggage, so I do not loose it.

Was in a road block a couple of months ago, on my way to Harties, licence disk holder cracked through, luckily I spotted it and put it in my jacket pocket. Traffic cop had no issues with me.

I guess it very much depend on the individual stopping you, but I cannot imagine doing nothing if some poephol gets smart as described in previous posts.

Offline Supervan

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 09:29:35 am »

1) no red reflector

But Sam, you bent the law first. :pot:

Touché
Freedom is directly proportional to risk.