Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Racing Panda's AWESOME AMAGEZA 2014: START TO about halfway.  (Read 50473 times)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Re: Racing Panda's Road to Amageza!
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2014, 08:41:31 am »
2 950's finished last year. 2 x more big bikes (950 and @) would of finished if they did not both get flat rears. very hard to change the eo9 tyres. so imo the 690 is the best balanced bike for the amageza, don't get swept up in the 450 class vibes. also this big rally fairing is a waste of money. the lite version is perfect.

By the way - I flatted a E09 rear on my Richtersveld/Pela trip earlier this year and was carrying a pair of these:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yMkvKVd1zkU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yMkvKVd1zkU</a>

I'd heard horror stories about the E09, and was only carrying two of these. The levers aren't long, but the bead breaker function actually helped to lever the last bit of the tyre back on the rim, and it wasn't nearly as hard as expected. Great little tools. Farking expensive though!

Offline Scooterbike

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2014, 08:44:52 am »
Where can I get these levers?
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline Scooterbike

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2014, 08:46:44 am »
I had the same dilemma. wanted to get a 690 for rally purposes. But since I already had a WR450, I decided to pimp it instead. Just got it back yesterday and will test it this weekend  :thumleft:
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2014, 08:54:02 am »
Where can I get these levers?

Desert Lizard - vendor here is a MP agent.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2014, 08:54:27 am »
I had the same dilemma. wanted to get a 690 for rally purposes. But since I already had a WR450, I decided to pimp it instead. Just got it back yesterday and will test it this weekend  :thumleft:

We want photos!

The levers are from any Motion Pro dealer. Talk to Piston Pete @ Outriders.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2014, 08:58:29 am »
Check out Bender's post on the 450X.

Yeah - there are excellent deals on CRFs and by all reports they are rock solid if you sort the valves out.

I probably paid less for that one than you did for the KDX

REALLY? Like less than R19k?  ::)

Not bad. I thought one in that condition would go for slightly more. Ok so let me rephrase, I paid the same for the X  ;D

I know! I bought it off a couple of bad cell phone pix and knew it looked good, but couldn't believe my eyes when it arrived. Of course I've set about riding it hard already so it's not staying like that! :)

That's a really great price for a CRF! And it wasn't hammered beyond belief?

Offline Bram

« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2014, 10:18:44 am »
Just out of interest sake. What were the issues they had in the Amageza with the omega tubular fairing mounts?

As I understand it a couple of them have broken on the Amageza. It's not the tubular frame itself, but the way it is mounted, with a lot of the weight carried on the side bolts on the bike frame. Apparently the bolts shear. Some of the other designs put all the weight on the head-tube clamp. The best option is probably a weld-on tab on the front of the steerer tube.

Don't take my word for it - I'm only going on what I was told. The Alfie Cox frame I've got on my bike - which I believe is the same design or manufacturer as the earlier Omega ones - has been solid so far... but then I haven't rallied it.
Thanks for that. Have the omega kit on mine and i have always wondered why it is such an over complicated design. Will have to keep a close eye on those bolts. On the other hand the way the bash plate gets mounted to the bike is ridiculous. It has two nice big solid round bars at the back that slot into the frame, but at the fron its mounted with two M6 bolts. Have sheared mine of twice already and other times they just rattle out. Need to find a war to mound the bash plate better at the front

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2014, 11:46:11 am »
Check out Bender's post on the 450X.

Yeah - there are excellent deals on CRFs and by all reports they are rock solid if you sort the valves out.

I probably paid less for that one than you did for the KDX

REALLY? Like less than R19k?  ::)

Not bad. I thought one in that condition would go for slightly more. Ok so let me rephrase, I paid the same for the X  ;D

I know! I bought it off a couple of bad cell phone pix and knew it looked good, but couldn't believe my eyes when it arrived. Of course I've set about riding it hard already so it's not staying like that! :)

That's a really great price for a CRF! And it wasn't hammered beyond belief?

Nope it is still in great condition. A friend bought it for 28 or 30k, rode it twice in something like a year and wanted a quick sale
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2014, 11:57:47 am »
Thanks for that. Have the omega kit on mine and i have always wondered why it is such an over complicated design. Will have to keep a close eye on those bolts. On the other hand the way the bash plate gets mounted to the bike is ridiculous. It has two nice big solid round bars at the back that slot into the frame, but at the fron its mounted with two M6 bolts. Have sheared mine of twice already and other times they just rattle out. Need to find a war to mound the bash plate better at the front

Ya - this is the bolt supporting the fairing (pic from above)

... there's a lot riding on it. And when they shear you're left with the broken piece of bolt in the frame you've got to tap out and possibly recut threads etc. Not genius.

I know KTM Cape Town's version has given up on this bolt completely and designed a very strong clamp around the steerer tube. Rally Raid too - they attach to this bolt, but only to adjust the position of the fairing frame, and not to carry the weight.

And you're talking about these bolts mounting the bash plate, right?

I believe someone on the ADVRider forum was looking into trying to mount the bash plate on that big engine-mount bolt just above it. Would need a special bracket and longer bolt, but should be possible...

Offline Bram

« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2014, 12:18:42 pm »
Yep thats the little bolt. Who ever thought it was a good idea to use an M6 bolt there must be shot. To try and drill a hole in a bolt that size and then use a reverse tapping tool to extract it is no joke. Either way i will have something to keep me busy this weekend. Im going to try and figure something out myself to mount it better.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2014, 02:52:49 pm »
Yep thats the little bolt. Who ever thought it was a good idea to use an M6 bolt there must be shot. To try and drill a hole in a bolt that size and then use a reverse tapping tool to extract it is no joke. Either way i will have something to keep me busy this weekend. Im going to try and figure something out myself to mount it better.

Haven't looked carefully - can't you just drill right through and fit a high tensile bolt right through the frame? I seem to remember someone going on about improving the mounting for a rally raid bash plate. Have done a quick search on advrider but can't find anything right now, but do a bit of a search...

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2014, 09:03:12 pm »
At the risk of hijacking this thread and another vote for PODMX's, I wrote this a while ago;

Knee braces... You won't be sorry....

I have a pair of PODMX's and without doubt they have saved my knees. Two were certain ligament destroyers - leg trapped and falling at right angles to the normal bending movement, one with a pillion falling on me. Both crashes were in 1st gear.

They take a bit of fiddling to initially set up - working out the pads and strap tension. I ride with wicking material long-johns under them.

But once set, I have ridden multi-day all dayers without any discomfort or chafing.

They are cheap if you price a new knee. And... knee operations never give you back 100% of your knee function.

Why knee braces vs guards

Ok. Advice taken - dear god it's been an expensive month, but protective gear isn't the kind of thing where you want to be thinking - damn, should have spent that extra R2k!

A pair do POD K700 arrived today from BTOSports in the US. What a great company - really good prices and super cheap, quick shipping. I ordered medium according to the size chart and they fit well, if a bit snug.  Are the pads on the inside of the hinge supposed to rub against that bone on the side of your knees?

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2014, 11:03:24 am »
On Saturday there was a 'Funduro' in Koringberg up the N7, so I thought I'd check it out. Plan at the moment is to get at least one solid proper off road ride in a week, and much better at an event than just thrashing around Zone 7 on my lonesome. I'd received the K700 knee braces last week, so I spent two hours at Zone 7 late Thursday anyway just to see how they felt. Definitely a little less comfortable than the Leatt knee guards I had been wearing, but that makes sense. Actually on Saturday I didn't even feel them, so that's a result!

I thought a 9.30 briefing, followed by a start at 10, would leave plenty of time to walk back to the car park and fetch my bike. Wrong! Even through it was a fun ride, my plan was to give it a bit of a whack to up the training intensity. But by the time I got back to the KDX I already heard bikes racing off... bugger! There were three classes: fast, medium and social. Plan was to go off in medium and see how it went. So much for that - by the time I got to the start I was right at the back ... and to make matters worse all the haai-speed-kwads had already left.

Unlike my last event - the Botrivier race - I've now had a bit of time on the bike - and am feeling much more comfortable. So I gave it a bit of welly, and overtook about 10 quads before the first hill climb. But then I was stuck behind another three of them and the track was narrow so there was no passing room. Quads go slowly in technical terrain, and make a shitload of dust! A bit disappointing, but I can now attest that the Dragon Vendetta goggles I bought are awesome at filtering out dust - I could see, even if I was choking!

Managed to zip past a few at the summit but there was more slow following all the way down the other side, and then onto a few km of open dirt road. Now a kwad loves open dirt, and they immediately gassed it and set off in a huge cloud of dust. Nothing to do but sit up and keep my distance - passing in that would have been suicide.

After a few more km we hit some more tight track and then the bikes and quads in front slowed to a crawl and I saw a queue of about 20 quads and bikes at a huge mud pool a hippo would have been happy to call home. Everyone was looking a bit tentative and I decided I was riding a lot quicker than everyone in front of me, so zipped around to the front and plunged in. By now the water was a huge, stinking mud hole, where several bikes had already drowned themselves, but the little KDX held her head high, coughed a few times and then charged through like a filthy little warthog. I saw one quad rider arrive at the finish much later covered in mud head-to-toe, front and back, so obviously some didn't get off so lightly! :)

Then a bunch more open riding, a technical mini-river-canyon section and some open fields with drainage drifts. The upside of starting at the back was that I got to pass bikes all lap, which does the ego good, even if you're really pretty average. I think I'd passed all the quads by now, which was a relief from a dust perspective. The lap was a good 50% longer than at Botrivier and there was a lot more fast, open riding. For the first time on the KDX I was gagging for a more open pipe, as I was spending a lot of time with the throttle pinned, gee-ing the bike for more. I think it might be time for some Boyesen's reeds and a Platinum 2 or FMF. Damn. And I thought I was going to get away without spending money on this bike!?

Before I knew it, we were up the last hill, down the other side and at the start/finish. I joined about 20 other bikes waiting half an hour to start another lap, cause there'd been an accident on the course and the ambulance had to clear out first. Dewald/Weskus popped over and said hi - cool to meet another Wilddogs rider, as to be honest I knew nobody else there - and another KDX rider to boot! Nice one, mate!

Thanks to Dewald's mate Bob for the pic.

Then we were free to go and I headed off again. The break had taken the edge off a bit, and I took it a bit slower this time. Also my hands were starting to bite. I'd fitted some new Pro Taper grips the day before, and this was the result:

Pretty nasty. Either I must go back to the Pro Grips I was using before or get busy with sticking plaster. Or I could always just harden the f&@% up!

I'm pretty tall, at 6'3", and I must say I still feel that the bike fit is a little small on me. I've got some tall Renthals on, and some Rox Raiser adapters which move the bars a bit forward, but I might look into some pegs that are located half an inch further back. Doesn't really make sense that one size of bike fits everyone from 5'3" to 6'3". And it's not so much the bar height as the horizontal distance from peg to bar where I'd like a bit more. Older bike designs like the KDX seem more afflicted with this bar-in-lap setup than more modern designs, but there's no fancy new bike on my horizon so I got to get this one to fit properly.

The rest of the lap passed without incident, but I did notice that both brakes started to need an awful lot of travel at the lever before biting, and the gear change started to feel quite slow and rubbery - so I think a gearbox oil change is probably way overdue. Some proper maintenance need this week. Both hands were killing me by the end of the lap, so I decided bike and I had had enough, and called it a day.

A tyre on my borrowed trailer blew out on the way home and buckled the mudguard into the bargain, but even that didn't ruin an awesome day out. My plan is to do every funduro and race I can fit in between now and the Amageza - it's definitely the best training on offer. It's also time to get onto the MX track. I've been focusing on the enduro loop at Zone 7 up to now, but I need to get more comfortable in the air, after jumping most of the drainage drifts on the open sections on Saturday, and nearly losing the front end on one of them.

All according to plan, so far, though. The KDX is doing just what I wanted - pushing the technical skills, making me more adventurous and aggressive, and upping my speed in the tighter sections. And it's just a hell of a lot of fun. Seriously, I've had amazing days out on the big bike, but this just takes it to another level without fear of expensive damage - I mean, these things were designed to be tossed down rocky slopes after all!

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2014, 12:10:26 pm »

Pretty nasty. Either I must go back to the Pro Grips I was using before or get busy with sticking plaster. Or I could always just harden the f&@% up!

Renthal Kevlar is the bees knees as far as I'm concerned.
Super sticky and soft, you don't have to hold on for dear live, it saves you on arm pump as well as blisters.

The whitish kevlar one:

http://www.renthal.com/shop/mx-products/grips/mx-enduro-grips/tapered-series-mx

And it's not so much the bar height as the horizontal distance from peg to bar where I'd like a bit more. Older bike designs like the KDX seem more afflicted with this bar-in-lap setup than more modern designs, but there's no fancy new bike on my horizon so I got to get this one to fit properly.

At 6'5" multiple world enduro champion David Knight rides with a low bar...he reckons if you need any more space your core strength is lacking.

My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2014, 12:31:38 pm »

Renthal Kevlar is the bees knees as far as I'm concerned.
Super sticky and soft, you don't have to hold on for dear live, it saves you on arm pump as well as blisters.

The whitish kevlar one:

http://www.renthal.com/shop/mx-products/grips/mx-enduro-grips/tapered-series-mx

And it's not so much the bar height as the horizontal distance from peg to bar where I'd like a bit more. Older bike designs like the KDX seem more afflicted with this bar-in-lap setup than more modern designs, but there's no fancy new bike on my horizon so I got to get this one to fit properly.

At 6'5" multiple world enduro champion David Knight rides with a low bar...he reckons if you need any more space your core strength is lacking.

Well, my core strength is clearly lacking right now, whether my bars are right or not! I did notice my bars felt much better positioned on the first lap! haha

That wasn't you careering around on the red tank'd 650R was it?

Offline weskus

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2014, 03:08:05 pm »
Nice meeting you Max, got my 3 laps in and what an awesome track, actually quite fast and not too many suspension-testers for the KDX.. see you on the next one, send your e-mail, Bob took some photos and I saw you where between them..
cheers
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2014, 06:05:55 pm »
Nice one Ian.

Be careful with the air time and overconfidence. Don't ruin a good thing! :ricky: :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2014, 07:48:15 pm »
Nice one Ian.

Be careful with the air time and overconfidence. Don't ruin a good thing! :ricky: :thumleft:

Man with scars speaks wise words!

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2014, 09:27:05 am »
By the way - Saturday's race was my first decent length ride with the POD K700 braces on, and I didn't even notice them. Not once. I have pretty skinny legs - I've been called chicken legs on a bicycle more than once - and my measurements according to the POD chart were on the small size of medium. I thought I couldn't possibly order the small - I'm 6'3" forfucksakes - so I went with medium. When they arrived I was a bit disappointed to find that the sides of my knees seem to rub against the brace and I thought I'd got the wrong size. Well, after Saturday, apparently not.

All of this to say that the place I bought them - BTOsports - is having a sale at $549, which is pretty cheap, and what I got them at: http://www.btosports.com/p/FOX08068 - but if you buy before 44/2 you can try this code 'SPRING4CASH' and it might get you an extra 10% off. They gave me a discount at the till which basically meant the shipping was for free, and they came in about a week with only VAT to pay.

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2014, 10:12:02 am »
Do you wear anything under them?
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw