Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Racing Panda's AWESOME AMAGEZA 2014: START TO about halfway.  (Read 51207 times)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Re: Racing Panda's Road to Amageza!
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2014, 12:00:43 pm »
Some thin brace liner sock type things by EVS. Pretty comfortable so far & seem to wick sweat decently.

Offline onderbroek

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2014, 01:42:56 pm »
sub
hak vrystaat

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2014, 02:10:24 pm »
Thread is full of win, subscribe.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2014, 03:52:49 pm »
OK. This thread has been a bit quiet lately... mostly because I haven't done much biking. Well... unless you call this biking:

Flouted the laws of the land, the entire Western Cape police force, and common sense and dignity and rode 400km up into the Tankwa in a swan.

And, I ask you: ain't she beautiful?

Actually, the police force thing isn't quite true. I was riding her to my mate Tom's house the night before departure, lit up like a glorious flying spacecraft, when I got stopped on Greenpoint main road by a young, unamused and over righteous motorcycle spiedkop. I mean didn't he have ANYTHING better to do???

He waved me over and proceeded to announce that I'd broken every road law known to man and was in a LOT of trouble. At this point someone from the garage opposite engaged him in a debate of the merits of interfering with the flight of such a beautiful bird, while the 20 assembled onlookers in front of the Cape Quarter started laughing and taking photos. A spectacle was in the offing.

This wasn't helping my cause, and he proceeded to announce that I had no front light, no rear light, no numberplate, no clearly displayed license disk, and.... wait for it... my blue lights were impersonating a police car!!!

All of which could get me arrested.

I may have been a little stoned, and somehow decided discretion was the better part of valour and tried to charm him rather than argue my way out of it. I soothed, and sweet talked, and agreed with everything he said. Then I took a photo of him writing me a ticket, figuring I owed it to my fellow Camp High T members from the Burn to capture this momentous occasion. After all, I've now ridden about 1600km in a shark, a cowshark, and now the Swan in the last few years with narry a caution from the polizio, not to mention a fine.

He was not amused, and threatened me once again with incarceration, insisting I deleted the photo. I claimed complete innocence and was told I couldn't take a picture without his permission. So I asked his permission, of course. Denied!

Anyway, he came round a bit eventually, and only fined me for the missing headlight. As I prepared to board once again for takeoff, a carload of gorgeous 19-year old girls on their way to Jade bar screeched to a halt in front of the bird, and they jumped out and proceeded to drape themselves over it for photos. Sigh. I then got to ride the last 1km to Tom's house with a police motorcade of flashing blue lights for company. In a sweet taste of victory, he even let me leave mine on! It was probably worth R400.

The Swan is actually a very fancy fairing for a humble little TW200 I borrow from a kind friend every year to wreak havoc at Afrika Burn. Did you know the little bike was capable of carrying four adults and said fairing across the desert without breaking a sweat? Take that pig fat 1200GS's!

But this is about racing, is it not?

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2014, 04:04:01 pm »
 ;D    Dis vrek snaaks...!

What is that made out of? Galvanized sheet?

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2014, 04:05:50 pm »
Brilliant  :imaposer:  :thumleft:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2014, 04:11:16 pm »
 :lol8: :spitcoffee: :imaposer:

You're brilliantly insane Ian.

Love it!   :ricky:  :ricky:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2014, 04:14:13 pm »
So... thanks to said hippie event I've done no exercise in a couple of weeks. But the mainstay of my Amageza prep seems to have become riding the off-road races on the WP circuit on my humble little KDX200, and there was one scheduled for this Saturday, so I shook off my hangover and made plans to be there.

The problem was that in the mayhem of post-Burn carnage I haven't had time to do any prep on the bike or myself. So I set a 6am alarm, and rushed to my garage to bleed brakes, fit bash plates and change air filters. Predictably I was late once again, and utterly disorganised: not enough money for the entry fees, no MSA license number on hand, and no arrangements for a pit. Oh well.

I screeched into Zone 7 at about 9.15, which was nowhere near enough time to navigate the above, and I ended up tearing off the line about five minutes after the last bike had left. I HAVE to stop doing this! I swear I will be the first person at scrutineering for the Amageza! Mark my words.

They were laughing at me as I went by the start marshals, who were all having a smoke, having packed up their kit. And I got lost three times in the first km, having missed the rider briefing... but after that I was my way. I've ridden Zone 7 about ten times now, so know the route, and do like sand. The good part about starting last is that you get to pass people, which is always uplifting for the ego, even if it's false flattery.

Caught a few of the super slow bikes on the section through the trees, and then we branched off into the farmlands. Other than bars and guards my little Kawa is still stock standard, but she goes. I really need to stiffen the front end up a little, but just haven't had time, and the softness is actually quite nice in the very technical stuff. Let's be honest, I'm still a piss poor rider, but got through the first lap without incident, and even managed to pass another five riders at the muddy stream crossing where at least one bike had drowned itself in the mud.

The KDX is a great hill climber - torquey motor, soft suspension - and just seems to find traction anywhere. I think the Tubliss system I'm running has something to do with that, as I've got the tyres down at 0.8 bar without worry of pinch flats.

I guess the front runners had a 15minute head start on me, and I was wondering how soon they'd be lapping me. Well, I was only half way around my second lap before the first guy came past. Sweet Mother Mary and the Flying Circus he was flying! And miles ahead of the second guy. There's something impressive watching someone in the zone like that. Bike doing exactly what he wants, obstacles to the rest of us just a blip in his course.

I figured three laps before fuel, which seemed about right. Passed another KDX abandoned half way round a little later, so he may have got it wrong... :) Around the 4th lap I started to realised my fitness was still well far off any kind of lofty standard, when the first twinges of cramps started to make themselves felt. I really do suffer from cramps worse than just about anyone I know. I was riding this race without any kind of cramp block, but to be honest they just don't seem to make any difference for me at all. I guess it's all just down to the fitness. I've done my fair share of endurance exercise over the years - long distance cycling, kitesurfing, canoeing - and it's always the same. Gonna need some very focused training before the end of the year.

I've also been battling blisters on my hands - and a change of grips helped, but not enough - clearly a strong need to HTFU! Half way around lap 5 I knew my race was run. I was slow and all over the place over the second half of the course, and arrived at the control with 15 minutes to spare before the flag. This should have been plenty for another lap, because I was running just on 30 minutes a lap - albeit a poorly 50% slower than the leader. But I knew that it was going to be a fight to control the bike, with my hands on fire and my control muscles all in spasm, so I threw in the towel and sat it out with a few of the other jokers just outside the pit.

Still, a fair day out, one more step in the training, and a really fun ride. The course was excellent, even if half of it was familiar to me, and I'm amped for the next one. There's going to be some seri-ass training going on, too, cause there's now less than 6 months to D-day.

Excitement builds.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2014, 04:16:14 pm »
;D    Dis vrek snaaks...!

What is that made out of? Galvanized sheet?

I've got this brilliant welder called Michael down on Lansdown road. I just rock up with the TW and a ridiculous picture of what ever creature flights my fancy printed off the internet, and he and his welders knock up a frame from steel bar. The 'galvanised sheet' is actually a shiny fabric sewn and glue-gunned onto the frame. The Swan was such a success she's now been to 2 Burns.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2014, 04:16:47 pm »
:lol8: :spitcoffee: :imaposer:

You're brilliantly insane Ian.

Love it!   :ricky:  :ricky:

Haha. I doubt my own sanity even more than those around me.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2014, 04:17:56 pm »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2014, 04:25:05 pm »
That's a great result in my books! :thumleft:

About the cramps: I suggest you look at something to replenish the salts on the fly like an energy gel or mixing in some cytomax or something into your camelback. I prefer water myself but I find that if I don't supplement it, I end up in a world of listlessness after about 3 hours of desert racing. I'm sure that time would be a lot less down in an enduro but I have done one yet.

About the blisters, HTFU is about right ;D + Plus more riding. Build those callouses boet ;)
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline SteveD

« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2014, 04:27:47 pm »
I swear I will be the first person at scrutineering for the Amageza! Mark my words.

You are going to have to be there pretty early to get that swan through scrutineering. :ricky:
We await news of your Amageza bike....... :sip:

Offline Buff

« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2014, 04:40:18 pm »
I love reading your work Ian, it always brightens my day.

Well done for pitching and at least giving it a bash. So many guys were full of shit about "we don't pay x amount to race at zone 7" and yet the feedback we've received so far has be the most positive of the whole season. Besides it being a course that demands fitness it was great for friends and families to be able to take a jaunt out that way and watch their buds having a jol. Based on this I recon it's going to become a regular ride on the calendar  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2014, 07:43:15 pm »
Delighted, Brett - you're a man whose day needs lifting right now! I know you wish you were there... I'm sure you'll be back before you know it!

Look, this off-road racing thing is an expensive day out for sure, but it is a real jol, and I do like the track. My thanks go out to those who make it all happen!

Been very circumspect so far, as I only have 2 months on a dirt bike behind me. It's so easy to hurt yourself badly on a bike - my hospital trip after Angola last year slowed me down a lot, and I'm sure yours will have an effect. We do this for fun after all.

But having said that, the next race I'll be working a bit harder. Fitness programme starts this week, and I'll be 20% faster just by concentrating and working the bike rather than taking it easier and cruising. Plenty of time yet... But I must say I am loving the little bike - perhaps I'll end up more into this than the long Amageza style events...

Pity I like rally bikes so much!

Offline washer6

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Whenever in doubt, just hang on to the cables!!
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2014, 02:33:18 pm »
Max
Any idea what U going to build yet for Amageza??
Have a 525 which i might put out for sale?
Sold Bikes: Yamaha YZ 80, Honda CR 125, Kymco 250, Suzuki DRZ 400, Suzuki LTR 450 2008 CBR600 F3, 2009 Kawasaki ZX12, Honda CRF 450 R, KTM 525
In Garage: 2006 Honda CRF 450 Rally, 2012 KTM 990R,'02 Yamaha 426, Arctic cat 400

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2014, 03:52:10 pm »
 :patch:

Offline Uge690

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2014, 04:25:58 pm »
 :sip:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2014, 06:08:40 pm »
Max
Any idea what U going to build yet for Amageza??
Have a 525 which i might put out for sale?

Hmmm... What's the details on your bike?

Offline adventure hunter1

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2014, 06:17:09 pm »
Where can I get these levers?

contact Andy 660. He makes them.
The early bird catches the worm.....but the second mouse gets the cheese.