Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Racing Panda's AWESOME AMAGEZA 2014: START TO about halfway.  (Read 51209 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Racing Panda's Road to Amageza!
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2014, 12:36:41 am »
That filter does not look too hot, but like you say its only got 17hours.
The sump plug is fine. Change the oil often for peace of mind.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2014, 07:56:44 am »
That filter does not look too hot, but like you say its only got 17hours.
The sump plug is fine. Change the oil often for peace of mind.

Also check the gunge in the wire screen filter - often with a new bike the stuff is actually soft gasket maker used in assembly and not metal.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2014, 09:39:42 am »
I don't think that's a lot of metal for a KTM. You can sleep peacefully. 

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2014, 12:47:16 pm »
I don't think that's a lot of metal for a KTM. You can sleep peacefully. 

Yep also the motor is quite new and maybe this is the first service ? Lots of parts that needs to bed in.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2014, 12:54:32 pm »
Even my TTR (which uses superior Japanese machining and manufacturing tolerances) spat out some metal on the first oil changes. Starting to get less now with every change.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2014, 11:23:23 pm »
Even my TTR (which uses superior Japanese machining and manufacturing tolerances)

Haaaahahahaha. :)

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2014, 06:41:04 am »
Nice! You seem to have a knack for finding hardly used bikes  :thumleft:
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2014, 05:02:26 pm »
This thing = animal:

Under 100kph it makes my ex-690 feel slow. I guess that's what a 30kg diet will get you.

Panda = delighted!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2014, 07:27:17 pm »
Those orange hubs stock ? I'm not convinced  :biggrin:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2014, 07:34:54 pm »

Nope. They're dreadful (I put them in the same poor-taste class as rim tape!). I bought it over the inter web and thought they were anodised, but it turns out that they're powder coated (from the looks of things) - so I think just the original hubs stripped and coated with black rims. And I haven't looked at what rims they are yet - but my guess isn't Takasago's.

Safe to say I didn't buy the bike for the hubs!

I dunno... I'm thinking about running a cush hub - opinion seems mixed about whether the damped clutch on these bikes necessitates it or not - in which case I may just flog them off to another bling-sucker.

What say you?

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2014, 11:22:26 pm »

Nope. They're dreadful (I put them in the same poor-taste class as rim tape!). I bought it over the inter web and thought they were anodised, but it turns out that they're powder coated (from the looks of things) - so I think just the original hubs stripped and coated with black rims. And I haven't looked at what rims they are yet - but my guess isn't Takasago's.

I dunno... I'm thinking about running a cush hub - opinion seems mixed about whether the damped clutch on these bikes necessitates it or not - in which case I may just flog them off to another bling-sucker.

What say you?

Like you I suffer from cramping,usually in my hip area,and that is just normal riding. I started doing Pilates a while back to try and strengthen core muscles. Must say with all the stretching exercises it seems to have helped with the the cramps too.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2014, 09:29:57 pm »
Those orange hubs stock ? I'm not convinced  :biggrin:

What say you?
Most likely the stock silver rims powder coated or annodized, they should be Excel. As long as you do mostly dirt don't worry about a cush hub.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:31:06 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Buff

« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2014, 07:01:24 am »
Judging from the wheels, you bought this boney from a fella in Brakpan  :o It looks like a bit of a street brawler as well  ;) I smaak it stukkend my bru  ;D

I'm stuck between a new Katoom FI 500 or 690 at the moment as well. Problem is I enjoy the odd trip to the Cederberg and I'm not sure how the 500 will handle the tar transition... and how my backside will handle the saddle  ???
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2014, 07:05:19 am »
Dont worry Buff, all the sitting around waiting for the leg to heal will tough that ass up :evil6:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Buff

« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2014, 07:10:36 am »
Dont worry Buff, all the sitting around waiting for the leg to heal will tough that ass up :evil6:

:laughing4: If I don't get back to training soon I might not have an ass at all  :-\ Gees, I'm losing a ton of muscle mass on my backside and legs  :'( Fortunately I had adequate to start with  ;D

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2014, 07:51:50 am »
Judging from the wheels, you bought this boney from a fella in Brakpan  :o It looks like a bit of a street brawler as well  ;) I smaak it stukkend my bru  ;D

I'm stuck between a new Katoom FI 500 or 690 at the moment as well. Problem is I enjoy the odd trip to the Cederberg and I'm not sure how the 500 will handle the tar transition... and how my backside will handle the saddle  ???

Haha. Klerksdorp, my friend! I'll be in a better position to talk in a month or two, but my guess is 500. The 690 does it all - it's an amazing bike - but it doesn't really feel like a dirt bike off road, for want of a better way of describing it. You have to decide which is your priority - long distance cruising or tough, challenging rough bits. And do you want to load it? I reckon a Giant Loop (the small one - Coyote) is your luggage limit on a 500.

I think one of the key issues is how much mileage you'll do. If you put 10,000km per year on a 500 it'll be clapped (and worth nothing) in 3 years but the 690 will still be going strong.

On the other hand it's much cheaper to set up a 500 with tank and basic, rally-lite nav and do the Amageza, for instance. The 690 is begging for full fairings, suspension upgrades and much pricier fuel solutions. R150k before you blink. I've got to the stage where I'd much rather trailer up to Springbok and then rampage around the wildest parts of Richtersveld than cruise up there on the dirt roads and highways, and I think for that the 500-class is a better bike for me. Here's your seat solution: http://seatconcepts.com  ::)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2014, 09:10:42 am »

Buff the smaller bikes rock. I only do about three or so trips a year and shorter rides in between. One RFS motor on ADVrider has gone to 900hrs, that is alot of trips !
All you need  :thumleft:

J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Buff

« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2014, 09:27:46 am »
Thanks for the input guys, that might just work for me as I don't do much more than 3 or 4 longer rides per year either due to all the off-road racing & training.

Just one or two questions Sidetrack:
What's a tank that size set you back?
Is a Cush hub necessary?
What speed can you maintain comfortably on the open road? I'm guessing a spare rear sprocket & chain is all that's required to give it longer legs.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2014, 10:02:58 am »
Thanks for the input guys, that might just work for me as I don't do much more than 3 or 4 longer rides per year either due to all the off-road racing & training.

Just one or two questions Sidetrack:
What's a tank that size set you back?
Is a Cush hub necessary?
What speed can you maintain comfortably on the open road? I'm guessing a spare rear sprocket & chain is all that's required to give it longer legs.
Those Acerbis tanks goes for around R4500-00, my last one I got second hand for R3000
Cush hub not needed if you mostly do gravel
120km/h the bike does not break a sweat but it's not very enjoyable for the rider, 100km/h much better .......... enjoy the scenery - what's the rush !
You don't need extra sprockets, with 15/48 my bike can run same speeds as a XR650R
All based on the KTM 525 however but I reckon the 530 and 500 will be much the same, I had the 2005 first then bough a 2007. Sorry for hijack Max !

*Edit - seems the 500 is geared shorter than the RFS motors
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:09:16 am by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Buff

« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2014, 10:17:11 am »
Thx  :thumleft:

Sorry for the hijack MtP  ;)