Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Racing Panda's AWESOME AMAGEZA 2014: START TO about halfway.  (Read 52505 times)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Re: Racing Panda's Road to Amageza!
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2014, 02:25:23 pm »
1x eye-wateringly expensive morning and I have tyres for Amageza:

One set for pre-event training and bike setup, and two sets for the race. It better be enough! If my debacle of an off-road racing career this year has taught me anything, it's the value of timeous preparation. Forseeing an entirely likely situation of "Sorry Meneer, next shipment of those tyres is in December." I decided to strike early. Great prices and service from Pete at Outriders, as always.

Meanwhile, bike preparation http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=156398.0 continues at pace. Which means I've spent precisely four hours on it in two weeks. Sat on the plane last night studying wiring diagrams (Greek), reading an amusing instruction manual on bike wiring and messing around with McCad's 'Scematics_Lite'. I now have my connectors library sorted and can start drawing a wiring diagram tomorrow. I'm still not entirely sure how I'm wiring the headlight relays and dimmer box, but I'm assuming the soup will clear eventually.

My fitness plan got done from behind by a nasty bout of the flu. The blue-rinse lady at the chemist told me it would last three weeks and I nearly choked. Well, it's been two, and despite regular bouts of coughing I'm going to do some exercise this weekend, dammit. There's a conveniently packed off-road racing calendar over the next two months, so I hope to fit a few of the races in.

Oh, and I notice Alex has canned the water-on-bike requirement. Well, keeps it simpler - there wasn't going to be any easy and properly robust solution on the 450, so happy days. If I crash and die of thirst, sobeit.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2014, 02:34:26 pm »
What are those fronts?
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2014, 02:51:53 pm »
Looks like Deserts, and E09 rear. I will run the same.
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2014, 03:57:43 pm »
Yup. 6 tyres cost less than 4 for my car and will bring a lot more enjoyment, so perhaps I should consider them a bargain.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2014, 04:00:08 pm »

Team regulations. Now we just need branded kit and cheerleaders. Actually, forget the branded kit.

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2014, 06:31:01 pm »
Yup. 6 tyres cost less than 4 for my car and will bring a lot more enjoyment, so perhaps I should consider them a bargain.

Until you consider the difference in km that you'll get from them  :P

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2014, 06:53:12 pm »

One set for pre-event training and bike setup, and two sets for the race. It better be enough! If my debacle of an off-road racing career this year has taught me anything, it's the value of timeous preparation. Forseeing an entirely likely situation of "Sorry Meneer, next shipment of those tyres is in December." I decided to strike early. Great prices and service from Pete at Outriders, as always.

Meanwhile, bike preparation http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=156398.0 continues at pace. Which means I've spent precisely four hours on it in two weeks. Sat on the plane last night studying wiring diagrams (Greek), reading an amusing instruction manual on bike wiring and messing around with McCad's 'Scematics_Lite'. I now have my connectors library sorted and can start drawing a wiring diagram tomorrow. I'm still not entirely sure how I'm wiring the headlight relays and dimmer box, but I'm assuming the soup will clear eventually.

My fitness plan got done from behind by a nasty bout of the flu. The blue-rinse lady at the chemist told me it would last three weeks and I nearly choked. Well, it's been two, and despite regular bouts of coughing I'm going to do some exercise this weekend, dammit. There's a conveniently packed off-road racing calendar over the next two months, so I hope to fit a few of the races in.

Oh, and I notice Alex has canned the water-on-bike requirement. Well, keeps it simpler - there wasn't going to be any easy and properly robust solution on the 450, so happy days. If I crash and die of thirst, sobeit.

Thank you for the order...you going to rock!
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #207 on: August 15, 2014, 07:28:50 pm »

Sssshhhhh!! We don't mention such vile subjects.

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #208 on: August 15, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »

Team regulations. Now we just need branded kit and cheerleaders. Actually, forget the branded kit.
:thumleft: our cheerleader will be a boertjie called Braam!!  :imaposer:
 Ja need to find a name  :deal:
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2014, 09:24:15 am »
If you don't mind me asking; why did you go for the uber expensive E09's?
A set of M404's would do the job just fine at ~ a 3rd of the price.
I'm probably wrong but AFAIK, the premium we pay for E09's and the like is due to its ability to handle high speed and Hp - read 950SE
You will hardly see 150KM/h on a rally rigged 450 with a stock motor.

It would be nice if we all had the money to burn but for an average Joe like myself, this is what I'd do for Amageza:
Extra under-seat tank is barely noticeable:

I would only add an additional aftermarket long range tank...and parachute 'cause these Berg 650's take off
Not only way cheaper but nimbler and faster.

But I might be wrong  ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:33:42 am by dirtWarp »

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2014, 10:23:06 am »
What brand is an M404? E09 in 130/18 is just over R1200. They last super long and are uber tough in desert conditions, and Dakar proven. I chose it more for the puncture resistance than anything else. Had two on my 690 and really liked them. I'll get a lot of use out of the part-used tyres after Amageza.

That Berg looks fantastic but I guess it feels quite esoteric and I'd be concerned about parts and reliability. But that may just be ignorance talking. Why do we hear so little about them in these parts?

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2014, 11:35:14 am »
AFAIK the bergs have basically been discontinued pretty much; always been seen as a model that protypes KTM stuff ahead of commercial KTM breeding. Given Husaberg is owned by KTM why market something else when the orange Brand is so successful?
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2014, 11:54:18 am »
Ja Husaberg is no longer ... read now Husqvarna  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2014, 04:37:03 pm »

Don't spoil a good story with facts !
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2014, 08:17:07 pm »
What brand is an M404? E09 in 130/18 is just over R1200. They last super long and are uber tough in desert conditions, and Dakar proven. I chose it more for the puncture resistance than anything else. Had two on my 690 and really liked them. I'll get a lot of use out of the part-used tyres after Amageza.

That Berg looks fantastic but I guess it feels quite esoteric and I'd be concerned about parts and reliability. But that may just be ignorance talking. Why do we hear so little about them in these parts?
Yes  ;D
They are quite exotic: unlike the conventional design, the "cylinder" and bottom end is one unit. To change the piston, you split the motor into 2 halves, which reveals a cylinder suspended by big O-rings between the cases. The gearbox has straight cut gears; it's designed to allow full throttle clutch-less shifting  :biggrin:
The gearbox sounds like a can of nails.

M404 is a Bridgestone tire.
Preventing flats is a good idea but you better not get a flat at all, 'cause the big bike tires like the E09 is a bitch to get off the bead.
It's borderline impossible without a bead breaker.
Some dudes managed to get the E09 fitted to the rim by leveraging the tire leaver with a pipe
 :eek7:

AFAIK the bergs have basically been discontinued pretty much; always been seen as a model that protypes KTM stuff ahead of commercial KTM breeding. Given Husaberg is owned by KTM why market something else when the orange Brand is so successful?
Wasn't marketing it I'm just a big fan of those bikes.  ;D
I was "marketing" the minimalistic, yet potent Ausie approach to the Finke rally.
But as a side note, KTM doesn't make anything close to the 650 berg. It's something to experience.. my 550 berg would power wheelie in 4th, while sitting on the tank.

I was going to ramble on about how reliable those Bergs are but that's beside the point I was making.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:52:22 pm by dirtWarp »

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2014, 09:53:02 pm »
Without taking this thread down another long bike merit discussion, the reason I went for the KTM was mostly because they are readily available, have huge aftermarket (tank etc) support and I thought a virtually unused 2-year old bike was better value than an older model like the 525 which often attracts inflated prices. But there are many good options, and I'm sure these 'Bergs are among them. I'd have bought a 500 rather if I could have found one, but this 450 was a great deal.

And regarding tyres - yes, I'm sure any decent DOT off road tyre would work. Michelin Desert Race have ruled the Dakar for years, for good reason, and Mitas have done well recently too. I changed a 130/18 E09 on a recent Richtersveld trip without too much difficulty using a pair of these (the short, lightweight alu ones):

I'm hoping with Tubliss, sealant and plugs I won't need to. But I'll have a 21" tube, some bead beakers and a pump just in case.

At the end of the day one pays one's monies and makes ones choices. I'm sure I've made some questionable ones, but they've all involved quite a bit of weighing up the pro's and con's. We can amuse ourselves afterwards laughing at the consequences (after the pain has worn off).

Offline SteveD

« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2014, 10:11:24 pm »
Hmm, where did you get the MotionPro Bead beakers?

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2014, 10:26:16 pm »
My intent, as stated, was not to discuss your choice of bike. I actually commended it already.

They last super long and are uber tough in desert conditions, and Dakar proven. I chose it more for the puncture resistance than anything else. Had two on my 690 and really liked them. I'll get a lot of use out of the part-used tyres after Amageza.
Jeremy Clarkson: "Some say the E09's outlast 450 motors  
All I know is, my bank balance won't outlast its purchase."

;D

Why do we hear so little about them in these parts?
Forgive me, for a moment there I thought I had kindled an interest in the berg, which led to a slight bit of verbal diarrhea from my side  ;D

Was just pondering the true merit of these tower of pizza screens, compared to the above picture.. some go so far as to even reroute the exhaust headers a-la Dakar style with supertanker type fuel cells. The added weight + wind resistance results in a 450 than can barely reach 140km/h, hence my reference to the lower weight/resistance rocket ship 650.
Where does one draw the line?
How much, in terms of tanks, lights and electronics are truly needed to comfortably do the Amageza?

I would love to take part in this great event but reading these epic rally builds can be depressing to be honest. It also makes we wonder if it would not be possible to do the following:
KTM 525 =R35K
25L tank =R3K5
2000 Lumen LED lights = R500 (1 flood 1 spot http://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/high-intensity-led-10w-900lumen/)
Road book R?
2x M404 = R1K
1x AC10 = R500

Can I actually do it on a R40K budget or am I smoking the good stuff?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:09:07 pm by dirtWarp »

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2014, 10:36:48 pm »

Yes, but then you'll have to join me on a TTR. I know of a lekker one if you want it.

:biggrin:

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2014, 10:45:23 pm »

Yes, but then you'll have to join me on a TTR. I know of a lekker one if you want it.

:biggrin:
Haha, I would actually like to.
I already have a 525 though
 ;)