Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Racing Panda's AWESOME AMAGEZA 2014: START TO about halfway.  (Read 51869 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Racing Panda's Road to Amageza!
« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2014, 03:12:37 am »
AFAIK the bergs have basically been discontinued pretty much; always been seen as a model that protypes KTM stuff ahead of commercial KTM breeding. Given Husaberg is owned by KTM why market something else when the orange Brand is so successful?
Wasn't marketing it I'm just a big fan of those bikes.  ;D
I was "marketing" the minimalistic, yet potent Ausie approach to the Finke rally.
But as a side note, KTM doesn't make anything close to the 650 berg. It's something to experience.. my 550 berg would power wheelie in 4th, while sitting on the tank.

I was going to ramble on about how reliable those Bergs are but that's beside the point I was making.

;D I love the bikes as well, but as you say they are going out unfortunately. Shame they were never allowed to continue as a de facto Brand. I think The huskys are unfortunately in for the same fate.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2014, 07:50:02 am »
Yeah the Husky's are essentially just white KTM's ... but may still inherit some Husaberg genes if we are lucky.  :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline alanB

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2014, 09:35:28 am »
My intent, as stated, was not to discuss your choice of bike. I actually commended it already.

They last super long and are uber tough in desert conditions, and Dakar proven. I chose it more for the puncture resistance than anything else. Had two on my 690 and really liked them. I'll get a lot of use out of the part-used tyres after Amageza.
Jeremy Clarkson: "Some say the E09's outlast 450 motors  
All I know is, my bank balance won't outlast its purchase."

;D

Why do we hear so little about them in these parts?
Forgive me, for a moment there I thought I had kindled an interest in the berg, which led to a slight bit of verbal diarrhea from my side  ;D

Was just pondering the true merit of these tower of pizza screens, compared to the above picture.. some go so far as to even reroute the exhaust headers a-la Dakar style with supertanker type fuel cells. The added weight + wind resistance results in a 450 than can barely reach 140km/h, hence my reference to the lower weight/resistance rocket ship 650.
Where does one draw the line?
How much, in terms of tanks, lights and electronics are truly needed to comfortably do the Amageza?

I would love to take part in this great event but reading these epic rally builds can be depressing to be honest. It also makes we wonder if it would not be possible to do the following:
KTM 525 =R35K
25L tank =R3K5
2000 Lumen LED lights = R500 (1 flood 1 spot http://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/high-intensity-led-10w-900lumen/)
Road book R?
2x M404 = R1K
1x AC10 = R500

Can I actually do it on a R40K budget or am I smoking the good stuff?

You have to factor in travel costs, fuel, spares etc.

Roadbook holder is about 3-4k BTW.

That Husaberg you have posted above would be a great Amageza bike IMO.  I'm also a fan of the minimalist approach.

Generally a good Amageza bike should have the following characteristics:
1) Reliability - this extends beyond the engine, to all facets of the bike ESPECIALLY the navigation equipment.   Nav towers that fall apart under vibration etc and electrics that dont work are a large proportion of the issues people seem to face as far as I can see.
2) Easy handling - if you are going to have to fight the bike for five days its just going to make your chance of finishing that much harder -  However the issue with rally bikes is the fuel load is such a high proportion of the bike's weight so it handles very differently when full vs empty.
3) Fuel range - ideally you need fore/aft tanks to balance the weight on the bike
4) Easy maintenance - the bike must be set up so you can easily fix stuff in the limited time you have each night.  This applies especially to the nav system wiring

Anyway that's what I would ideally look for in a bike.

Of course being competitive or not, is ultimately all about the rider.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2014, 11:07:33 am »

I would love to take part in this great event but reading these epic rally builds can be depressing to be honest. It also makes we wonder if it would not be possible to do the following:
KTM 525 =R35K
25L tank =R3K5
2000 Lumen LED lights = R500 (1 flood 1 spot http://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/high-intensity-led-10w-900lumen/)
Road book R?
2x M404 = R1K
1x AC10 = R500

Can I actually do it on a R40K budget or am I smoking the good stuff?

Yes man! Just do it. Two weeks left till entries close. You've already got the bike...

Offline SteveD

« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2014, 07:37:08 pm »
 :thumleft:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2014, 11:59:14 pm »
^^ What he said. :evil6:

Would love to meet the famous ditWarp in Nov. :deal:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline tour

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #226 on: August 18, 2014, 06:31:06 am »
what max steve and bb said.
check my very long build a few threads down for the very cheap version, it might help you with your decision. don't stress the bike too much. kamanya will be on his 950/990 franken missile and I ll be on a 950 SE. all 200 kg + bikes.
GO for it. next year will be longer and harder so last real year to come in.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #227 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:41 am »
Dirtwarp! In case you missed Tour's thread, here it is http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=157478.0. Haha! None of my riding mates are doing Amageza, so to be honest these threads are simply an excuse to make new mates and blither on about something I've been looking forward to for ages and am excited about.

My bike is new (to me) so there's lots of excitement, but at the end of the day it's a big enduro with a big tank and the nav gear bolted on. I went with an HDB tower and some bright lights, and it's really lovely, but it was a marginal decision. I bought a set of used nav gear which came with a KTM bolt on tower which would have done the job with the standard light (for much less money). Other than an early start for the liaison one shouldn't really get caught in the dark anyway unless one really cocks it up. (I may well!)

The rest is just dressing. There was a guy with an ice-cream box for the road book at the Durban training, but that may be a step too far over five days. OK, if you crash and break it you can stop for more ice-cream, but I think a manual road book is too much. Make one - plenty of guys do. You don't need an ICO - you can use a bicycle one, or if you have an old iPhone lying around run Rally Blitz, or a cheap switch turns a KTM odometer into one anyway (I think that's what Kamanya used last year). Check out what LoopSoosStroop is doing on next to no budget.

And I've done 3000km on one set of tyres plenty of time, even riding quite hard. The rest is just window dressing. Bingo. Seriously. Come!

Online sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2014, 07:55:54 am »
There was a guy with an ice-cream box for the road book at the Durban training, but that may be a step too far over five days. OK, if you crash and break it you can stop for more ice-cream
:imaposer:

Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2014, 07:59:05 am »
Come join us, dirtwarp  :thumleft:

A 525 takes you outta the 'pro' class and dumps you in with us 'weekend warriors'. My build has cost me less than R5k, easily, and it all works as it should. Add R15k for entrance, etc plus R10k for transport, fuel, etc and your at R30k. You'll need a fuel tank on the 525 but all the other bits, like tyres and chains, you'd be buying anyway.

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #230 on: August 18, 2014, 09:30:41 am »
Thanks everyone.
I am now vigorously going through all these builds to come up with the best strategy.

Come join us, dirtwarp  :thumleft:

A 525 takes you outta the 'pro' class and dumps you in with us 'weekend warriors'. My build has cost me less than R5k, easily, and it all works as it should. Add R15k for entrance, etc plus R10k for transport, fuel, etc and your at R30k. You'll need a fuel tank on the 525 but all the other bits, like tyres and chains, you'd be buying anyway.

PM coming your way
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:47:34 am by dirtWarp »

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2014, 09:47:40 am »
Heh. Can of worms! As a really good friend of mine once said: "All the money I ever had I spent on women and aeroplanes. The rest I wasted."

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2014, 08:16:26 am »
21st of August today, which means three weeks down since I announced three months to Amageza, and all I've had to show for it is a nasty bout of flu and equally horrible, tardy progress on the bike build. Time to step it up, bitches. More action going down here: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=156398.60. I have to go riding this weekend.

Offline dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2014, 09:33:20 pm »
I like this design:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FPESHRZfriw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FPESHRZfriw</a>

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #234 on: August 25, 2014, 09:55:27 am »
Nice. A lot of similar decisions to my bike, just a different tower/rally-nav attachment. Flying Brick sell some locally made clamps and nav tray that are pretty much the same as the Rally Management Services one. So - you joining us?? ;)

Offline dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #235 on: August 25, 2014, 10:22:32 am »
Nice. A lot of similar decisions to my bike, just a different tower/rally-nav attachment. Flying Brick sell some locally made clamps and nav tray that are pretty much the same as the Rally Management Services one. So - you joining us?? ;)
I'm not promising anything yet but I'm getting a 25L tank this week.

Online sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #236 on: August 25, 2014, 03:53:10 pm »
I like this design:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FPESHRZfriw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FPESHRZfriw</a>
Give Chilly a Bell's  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:58:42 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline AntonW

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #237 on: August 25, 2014, 07:45:57 pm »
I have never seen handle bars, flex bars like this before. Have a look at 5.45 on video
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

" It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you
realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence "

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #238 on: August 25, 2014, 09:39:32 pm »
Flexbars are more common on quad bikes, and also expensive. its got about 5mm vertical movement at the bar ends.
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #239 on: August 25, 2014, 10:18:18 pm »
Why would you want flex bars?