Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Racing Panda's AWESOME AMAGEZA 2014: START TO about halfway.  (Read 51849 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Racing Panda's Road to Amageza!
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2014, 10:34:44 pm »
Why would you want flex bars?

Guys use them to reduce vibration, jarring and fatigue ... especially good I believe if you have suffered broken wrists etc. Personally I hate the look of them.  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Online sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #241 on: August 25, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »

Guys use them to reduce vibration, jarring and fatigue ... especially good I believe if you have suffered broken wrists etc. Personally I hate the look of them.  ::)
Must feel weird to have flex in them  ...... like the bars are about to fly of the bike  :eek7: Guess you get used to them.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2014, 11:07:11 pm »

Must feel weird to have flex in them  ...... like the bars are about to fly of the bike  :eek7: Guess you get used to them.

Guess you get used to them - you get hard and soft bungs evidently ... only really give a few mm of lateral flex.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2014, 11:14:21 pm »
Wont it give you a disconnected feeling?

Agree, they look kak.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2014, 08:59:58 am »
A lot of guys swear by them. They just add a bit of damping - the design retains a direct feeling at the bars.

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #245 on: August 26, 2014, 03:33:18 pm »
Looks like Deserts, and E09 rear. I will run the same.

Michelin Desert is a seriously shitty tire, the 2-1-2-1 centre bead causes a serious wobble at about 100-110 km/h on smooth surfaces - Google it, it is a well documented fact and even Dakar teams placed a restriction on speed for the riders on the liason sections.

I bought mine knowing about it, thinking "how bad can it be..?"  -  BAD, to the extent that I stopped popping the occasional wheely just so the tyre can wear down and I won't feel bad throwing a semi used tyre away.

Use it lose it  :thumleft:
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2014, 09:27:41 am »
...I stopped popping the occasional wheely...

Yeah. Right.  :laughing4:

I do remember some similar press about the Desert some years back, which deterred me from running it on a long trip. This time I just thought a decade of Dakar winners can't be wrong. Seems to be wildly divergent opinions on this tyre... I'll chuck one on now to test and if I don't like it I'll get a C21 or C17 and sell them for a bargain 3% discount on Wilddogs!

I have your spring in my possession... remind me to bring it to the next race.

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #247 on: August 27, 2014, 09:52:59 am »
Don't get me wrong. I love the Mich Desert rear, and although being a 140, noticeably heavier compared to 130's, I chose to live with it and enjoy the puncture resistance, the offroad capability and the not to bad longlivity even when doing the odd bit of tar.

For our Angola trip, knowing we will do a lot of offroad, I fitted the Mich Desert front, and yes, when conditions is gnarly, it is great, but anything less than gnarly it sucks, even on the typical smooth gravel roads that you find going up in the Tankwa.

On smooth surfaces it has a wobble as you go past 100/110, which I can live with, but chop your throttle and come down past 100/110, man o' man - it was so bad, the first time it happened I stopped to check if I had a flat.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
Racing Panda's Road to Amageza!
« Reply #248 on: August 27, 2014, 10:55:19 am »
Sounds just like the Mitas C23... What do you recommend then?

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #249 on: August 27, 2014, 08:30:05 pm »
Don't get me wrong. I love the Mich Desert rear, and although being a 140, noticeably heavier compared to 130's, I chose to live with it and enjoy the puncture resistance, the offroad capability and the not to bad longlivity even when doing the odd bit of tar.

For our Angola trip, knowing we will do a lot of offroad, I fitted the Mich Desert front, and yes, when conditions is gnarly, it is great, but anything less than gnarly it sucks, even on the typical smooth gravel roads that you find going up in the Tankwa.

On smooth surfaces it has a wobble as you go past 100/110, which I can live with, but chop your throttle and come down past 100/110, man o' man - it was so bad, the first time it happened I stopped to check if I had a flat.

Theyre not supposed to be ridden at 100/110, theyre supposed to be ridden at 130/180 kmh ;D Youre too slow, and posing too much Dave. ;)  >:D

Seriously, accelerate through the wobble and keep going. :deal:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #250 on: August 27, 2014, 08:43:13 pm »
Youre too slow, and posing too much Dave. ;)  >:D

Eish - I know  :ricky:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2014, 06:48:26 pm »
My mate/Amageza team member Dirk/Scooterbike drew up a little roadbook around Grabouw in Rally Navigator, and invited me to come and run it with him on Saturday. He knew the track, so I'd be up front making all the (in)decisions. It was to be my first proper run on my new bike, and great to try out the nav gear, which I'd just finished bolting on. Here's the bike, if you haven't followed the build thread: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=156398.0

Rally navigation should be a piece of cake: watch the ICO, match the distance to the roadbook turns, and follow the course. Of course, on a tar road, restricted to 80kph it would be fine. On a deeply rutted, loose track that winds through forestry, to put it politely, less so. There's a mantra to it, I suppose: constantly keep loading the next three turns to memory, know whether you've got 100m or 1km plus to the next turn so you can know whether to focus on riding or navigation. I'm sure it's all zen if you're a rally pro, and even they get lost. But it's surpassingly difficult to do at any speed with confidence. And more importantly, to do so consistently.

Dirk's track was probably 'busier' than the average section of Amageza. Either that, or we're in for a very long five days. All in all, job well done, and I've got more of an idea of what is to be expected. More training needed!! Shot Scooterbike!

I need a CAP repeater or an iPhone with Rally Blitz. Paying attention to the CAP heading is a key added piece of info to tell you if you've taken the right turn or not. My GPS is in the wrong position to see the heading easily - I could stick it up top, but I'm more concerned to keep it vibe-free and protected from a crash at the centre of the bars, because my event is 100% reliant on the track it records.

Didn't stop for peetchers, unfortunately, so you'll have to be happy with these:

The bike is a cracking ride. It needs a re-gear. I think I've got 13/50 at the moment, and that's not right for the open sections. I'm going one up on the front and then let's see. Didn't have time to get Tubliss in, but that's this week's project, and then some setup on the suspension. I adjusted the sag Friday night, but think I may have ended up a little hard. The stock spring may not be quite right for my weight, but I want to ride it a bit more before I make that call.

The Seat Concepts certainly was a winner, although it makes the bike noticeably taller. If I'd remembered some ear plugs, I would have had a super comfortable ride. Oh, and the wheels need balancing, but I'll deal with that when I stick Tubliss in this week.

Here's the highly scientific fuel consumption test after about 200km (155 'special' plus a bit of 'liaison'). I think the required 270km is going to be easy. Dirk has the same fuel capacity and a carbed WR, so he's going to run out of fuel before I do! ;)

Offline Rolling Stone

• Race Dog
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2014, 08:46:26 pm »
I am worried about Fuel Range, What do you have there?
Consumption?

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2014, 09:41:06 pm »
Don't worry. Be happy.
Bout 20l.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #254 on: September 01, 2014, 02:31:16 am »
Ian, some great observations there, the guys would do well to take note. :deal:

Did you catch yourself looking too long at the roadbook? :evil6: I always get caught doing that!

Ian how much deep sand did you have? 20L sounds really light for 270km...

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #255 on: September 01, 2014, 09:59:41 am »
Ian, some great observations there, the guys would do well to take note. :deal:

Did you catch yourself looking too long at the roadbook? :evil6: I always get caught doing that!

Ian how much deep sand did you have? 20L sounds really light for 270km...

Yeah, none to speak of. From the looks of things I have around 350+ in that tank on tight dirt. Sand is, of course, another question. Will be doing some more scientific consumption testing at Atlantis this week...

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2014, 03:04:57 pm »
What do:

...and...

have in common, I ask you? A LOT MORE than you'd think!! Both of them battle omnipotent evil forces, led by a dark overlord, in inhospital, scary, alien terrain far from home.

Dark Overlord:

No scratch that. Sorry, this one:

They are both set ambiguous challenges that, at first, seem impossible to complete. They get lost many times, sometimes in their own minds, and finally find their way when all seems lost and others have stolen the prize from right in front of them.

Until the very end we won't know if they will emerge victorious from the dragon's lair... (cue ominous, dark music) or even... survive! Boom boom boom boom.

Introducing, Racing Panda's Amageza Team 2014, incorporating, a small, long eared wise one, a tall hamster thing, and an instructor called Handsome Solo. Or something like that.

SKYWALKERS
May the Force be with us!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2014, 03:23:52 pm »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

I love it!

Offline alanB

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #258 on: September 02, 2014, 03:55:23 pm »
 :biggrin:

Well it looks like you have the right weapon at least

:thumleft: :ricky:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2014, 03:59:03 pm »
 :imaposer:  Brilliant.

Yes, hopefully the force is with us to that finish line  :thumleft:
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >