Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Racing Panda's AWESOME AMAGEZA 2014: START TO about halfway.  (Read 51705 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Racing Panda's Road to Amageza!
« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2014, 12:42:12 pm »
Very nice report Ian! :thumleft:

You guys are way more prepared than I am this year.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2014, 12:59:58 pm »
Looks like awesome riding there!

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2014, 01:37:33 pm »
Looks really lekker Max, will have to come visit one day and ride this route of yours  :thumleft:
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #283 on: September 22, 2014, 02:14:51 pm »
This weekend I really started to bond with the little KTM. It's only got about 30 hours on now, so it's really too soon to start talking reliability, but it's just been rock solid so far. OK, it's missing that steam train-like thrust and planted feeling of the 690 in the open stuff, but it's plenty fast enough, and in the tight, rocky or sandy terrain it's in another class altogether. It's just so much lighter and there's so much more suspension that for a kak rider like me it's the bizniz. And despite all the add-on shit it's still just an enduro dirt-bike, so when you chuck it on the ground it bounces and little bits don't fall off.

I may not feel the same way after my first engine rebuild, but so far, so good!  :thumleft:

Offline KarooKid

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2014, 09:35:10 am »
This thread is going to make me do stupid things.......

Maybe I should.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2014, 10:46:18 am »
I know of an Amageza entry going begging if you want to do something REALLY stupid.

Offline KarooKid

• Race Dog
« Reply #286 on: September 24, 2014, 01:29:08 pm »
That might be pushing it as I don't even have a bike yet.

Would at least like to be prepared - with regards to ability and fitness.

I' following your progress. Good luck  :thumleft:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2014, 12:14:21 pm »
Thanks! I don't have any mates doing it (except for new buddies made through Amageza) so it's been cool to get a bit of vibe here instead.

Update on tyres - been testing Desert front/E09 rear for about 1000km now, and overall very happy. Running Desert at 1 bar and E09 at 0.7 bar on Tubliss and no issues at all. 1 bar on the front takes a little punishment if you klap a sharp-edge rock really hard, but on balance the added traction is worth it. If anything I feel I could go even lower on the back, as the E09 is so tough, but so far I've been really happy with the traction except for a section of loose/pebbles and dust on a hard dirt road through Seweweeks's Poort, where it was sliding around a lot. Probably any tyre would have been a bit loose there. None of the dreaded Desert front shake-wobble-and-roll at all, so that's a result.

So... I have my Amageza tyre combo settled. Just as well, as I'd already bought them. Wear rates are looking fantastic, too. At the moment I'm guessing I'll stay on one front and change a rear half way through, but we'll just have to see how that pans out.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2014, 07:48:38 pm »
Thanks! I don't have any mates doing it (except for new buddies made through Amageza) so it's been cool to get a bit of vibe here instead.

Dont forget your creepy WD internet friends you´ve never met before! ;D

You sound well-prepped bud. Wish I could say the same. My bike is still in pieces thousands of kilometers away from me and im not to ride until I am on the Amageza. Last time I touched it was in 2012.... ::)

Sitting here with bloody flu so can´t train either. :(

Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline tour

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2014, 08:16:15 pm »
karookid

your sig says that you have an hp2. so that means you have a bike. no excuses. bring what you got. there are 2 over 200 kg 950/990 s taking part... I will be riding an 950 SE so come and play man

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #290 on: September 25, 2014, 09:40:54 pm »
What he said.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #291 on: September 25, 2014, 09:42:11 pm »
Neil - the first time one is always obsessed and pedantic. Then you realize it's fine and you can just hack it like everything else. You'll ace it, I'm sure. Just came out 5 weeks flu and still not fit so know how you feel...

Offline KarooKid

• Race Dog
« Reply #292 on: September 29, 2014, 09:11:31 pm »
karookid

your sig says that you have an hp2. so that means you have a bike. no excuses. bring what you got. there are 2 over 200 kg 950/990 s taking part... I will be riding an 950 SE so come and play man

Sure I can do it on the HP but there is no way in hell I put that precious machine through that.

Like Poenie said in Lipstiek Dipstiek - met die regte gereedskap is alles maklik.

I'm working on it.

Offline tour

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #293 on: September 30, 2014, 06:45:29 am »
karookid the hp is fine. just ride to finish and let the pro s ride to win. or is the HP not on the same level as the SE. bietjie tong innie kies hier ne...

Offline GJ

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #294 on: October 01, 2014, 09:36:39 pm »
karookid the hp is fine. just ride to finish and let the pro s ride to win. or is the HP not on the same level as the SE. bietjie tong innie kies hier ne...

Rudi,jy weet mos die SE is baas

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #295 on: October 06, 2014, 11:27:13 am »
What brand is an M404? E09 in 130/18 is just over R1200. They last super long and are uber tough in desert conditions, and Dakar proven. I chose it more for the puncture resistance than anything else. Had two on my 690 and really liked them. I'll get a lot of use out of the part-used tyres after Amageza.

That Berg looks fantastic but I guess it feels quite esoteric and I'd be concerned about parts and reliability. But that may just be ignorance talking. Why do we hear so little about them in these parts?
Just wanted to let you know about the M404, my bike had them on while I bought them so I'm not sure how many mileage they had done by done. Anyway I have done 3 trips with them on all types of terrain including fairly high speed tar sections and they hold up just as well as some dual sport tires. I would definitely buy them again  :thumleft:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #296 on: October 09, 2014, 07:13:44 pm »
Dear god, this amateur rallying lark is an expensive business. I took what turned out to be a very naughty little trip to KTM Cape Town this afternoon. There's no point in spending all this time preparing, training, buying and equipping motorcycles... just to be knocked out on day two by a snapped gear shifter, right? Well, Dave Peckham probably isn't the right person to be turning to for guidance in these matters: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0061/7252/files/rally_packing_list.pdf?8366.

Actually, he is... but how fat is your wallet? As my good friend Brandon the Pilot used to say: "It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground." Reinterpreted to rally speak: it's better to blow your unborn children's inheritance on spare parts prior to the rally, than to find yourself willing to swap a kidney for a .... (replace with any multitude of small and annoyingly expensive motorcycle parts) to save your ass being unceremoniously abandoned at the bivouac on morning three of the Amageza.

But which spare parts, exactly? Of course a brake pedal and gear selector, and a set of levers, right? New chain and set of sprockets? Couple of air filters? Definitely enough of the world's most expensive synthetic 10W60 oil and filters for five oil changes! How about maybe a set of front and rear wheel bearings? Or some sneaky little parts like a water pump seal and a countershaft seal? And then for the real ball buster - what to do about that rather pivotal little part on a 2013 KTM 450 FI... the FI itself?? R1600, in case you were wondering - and definitely known to be the source of a lot of trouble at unwanted moments.

The good part is that I'm keeping this bike (well, that's the plan) so these things won't go unused in the long term. Small comfort!

Then there is the utter frustration of having spent the week in bed. Mostly because by Sunday I was sporting more spots than this Dalmatian, and looking even more sorry for myself. Apparently it is possible for a 44-year old man to get German Measles!

I wish this damn thing would just start now.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #297 on: October 09, 2014, 09:25:27 pm »
Surely a maxed out panda's supposed to have lots of spots  ;D

On a good point - R1600 for FI is way cheaper than buying a 2nd carburettor - but then again, why have 2 carbs??
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:57:51 am by Cracker »
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #298 on: October 10, 2014, 06:35:35 am »
Dear god, this amateur rallying lark is an expensive business. I took what turned out to be a very naughty little trip to KTM Cape Town this afternoon. There's no point in spending all this time preparing, training, buying and equipping motorcycles... just to be knocked out on day two by a snapped gear shifter, right? Well, Dave Peckham probably isn't the right person to be turning to for guidance in these matters: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0061/7252/files/rally_packing_list.pdf?8366.

Actually, he is... but how fat is your wallet? As my good friend Brandon the Pilot used to say: "It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground." Reinterpreted to rally speak: it's better to blow your unborn children's inheritance on spare parts prior to the rally, than to find yourself willing to swap a kidney for a .... (replace with any multitude of small and annoyingly expensive motorcycle parts) to save your ass being unceremoniously abandoned at the bivouac on morning three of the Amageza.

But which spare parts, exactly? Of course a brake pedal and gear selector, and a set of levers, right? New chain and set of sprockets? Couple of air filters? Definitely enough of the world's most expensive synthetic 10W60 oil and filters for five oil changes! How about maybe a set of front and rear wheel bearings? Or some sneaky little parts like a water pump seal and a countershaft seal? And then for the real ball buster - what to do about that rather pivotal little part on a 2013 KTM 450 FI... the FI itself?? R1600, in case you were wondering - and definitely known to be the source of a lot of trouble at unwanted moments.

The good part is that I'm keeping this bike (well, that's the plan) so these things won't go unused in the long term. Small comfort!

Then there is the utter frustration of having spent the week in bed. Mostly because by Sunday I was sporting more spots than this Dalmatian, and looking even more sorry for myself. Apparently it is possible for a 44-year old man to get German Measles!

I wish this damn thing would just start now.

Like the SPARE MOTOR.... :lol8:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #299 on: October 10, 2014, 12:03:35 pm »
If youre serious about rally, a spare motor is a good idea. This rally is just inside the distance where I think it may be a good idea to have one, so maybe next year...

Get well son Ian! :thumleft:

Im nearing the end of a second week of flu. ::) All this travelling does not help.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:04:09 pm by BlueBull2007 »