Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Racing Panda's AWESOME AMAGEZA 2014: START TO about halfway.  (Read 56757 times)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Re: Racing Panda's Road to Amageza!
« Reply #300 on: October 10, 2014, 06:53:37 pm »
Sigh. Let's get through this one first, shall we?

Yeah, at this stage I'd put more money on my health letting me down than my bike. To us both being of sane body and insane mind!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #301 on: October 10, 2014, 07:44:22 pm »
Looking forward to meeting you Ian. Canīt believe we will be in Upington 3 weeks today.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #302 on: October 11, 2014, 08:49:05 am »
Likewise Neil! Is it really nearly upon us??

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
Re: Racing Panda's ALMOST AT AMAGEZA REPORT!
« Reply #303 on: October 17, 2014, 04:47:48 pm »
This time two weeks - if Kaptein Yoda can get us out of bed in time so we can dodge the roadworks - we will be in Upington chomping at the bit and doing a lot of aimless shit while killing time for the start of the long awaited event.

Via WhatsApp from Team Skywalkers earlier today:

Yoda: "Ek gaan nog steeds Ceres toe vier race marshal al het et niet bike niet" (The WR ate its waterpomp seals).

Me: "Bicycle? Pony? Rocket boots?"

Yoda: "Husky. There might be a new Husky 300 at my disposal."

Me: "You must race!!!"

Yoda: "Nee fok, ek race nooit weer niet. Sal nie lank lewe nie."

Me: "I hate to mention this, but you're racing in 2 weeks..."

Yoda: "Nope, it's a social ride through the Northern Cape."

If you've learn anything by now, it's always to respect the sage words of a Yoda. And he's not wrong. Cause I'm no racer, I'm just a wide-eyed adventurer, going where I shouldn't, and having a crack at something utterly silly that I have no right to do. I hope nobody notices.

Best laid plans and all... when I set out on this adventure I had a very different picture of how the last few months would have gone. I had visions of a glorious lead up to the big week, arriving in peak fitness and fine form, ready to tackle the most challenging ride of my life with a glorious charge of the light brigade. Probably would have landed my in hospital on the prologue!

Instead, I think I've spent 8 of the last 12 weeks sick. First horrible ear infections and flu, now German Measles, of all things. I mean I thought that was something that only afflicted 8-yr olds?!?! I'm not even back to full strength and vitality yet, and there's been absolutely no exercise of any type in the last two weeks.

But less whining and more HTFU. At least I'm going into this with no ego attached. Objective for Day 1: slowly, cautiously and easy does it. Go just fast enough to finish, and hope that I've got something energy left for day 2... and let's take it from there.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #304 on: October 17, 2014, 05:16:18 pm »
Is that panic that I'm reading in those lines - or is it just me, hoping I'm not panicking alone  :o :o :o
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #305 on: October 17, 2014, 06:01:34 pm »
By the way - I'm really reluctant to drop a grand on a radio. Is there any reason why we can't get these - 2 for a grand, split between myself and another Scrooge:

http://www.capeunionmart.co.za/zartek-pro-8-twin-radio-pack

instead of the single radios for the same price?

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #306 on: October 17, 2014, 06:02:54 pm »
Is that panic that I'm reading in those lines - or is it just me, hoping I'm not panicking alone  :o :o :o

Who ..... meeeee???

Just don't hit the big red button!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #307 on: October 17, 2014, 07:56:51 pm »

Me: "I hate to mention this, but you're racing in 2 weeks..."

Yoda: "Nope, it's a social ride through the Northern Cape."

If you've learn anything by now, it's always to respect the sage words of a Yoda. And he's not wrong. Cause I'm no racer, I'm just a wide-eyed adventurer, going where I shouldn't, and having a crack at something utterly silly that I have no right to do. I hope nobody notices.

Best laid plans and all... when I set out on this adventure I had a very different picture of how the last few months would have gone. I had visions of a glorious lead up to the big week, arriving in peak fitness and fine form, ready to tackle the most challenging ride of my life with a glorious charge of the light brigade. Probably would have landed my in hospital on the prologue!

Instead, I think I've spent 8 of the last 12 weeks sick. First horrible ear infections and flu, now German Measles, of all things. I mean I thought that was something that only afflicted 8-yr olds?!?! I'm not even back to full strength and vitality yet, and there's been absolutely no exercise of any type in the last two weeks.

But less whining and more HTFU. At least I'm going into this with no ego attached. Objective for Day 1: slowly, cautiously and easy does it. Go just fast enough to finish, and hope that I've got something energy left for day 2... and let's take it from there.

Hmmm much you have to learn my... young... apprentice.   >:D

Yoda knows not the true power of the dark side of Amageza.

:imaposer:

Seriously Ian, its probably a good thing we are both sick. It means we wonīt be gunning it full gas, and will be riding sensibly.  :patch:
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline LoodPb

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #308 on: October 18, 2014, 08:53:37 am »
Guys I really enjoy this conversation between you two................ NOT that I'm in any better shape though hey!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Alex =  >:D , but we should  just be like  O0

To Yoda listen we must..........
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:15:21 am by LoodPb »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #309 on: October 18, 2014, 03:15:27 pm »
Guys I really enjoy this conversation between you two................ NOT that I'm in any better shape though hey!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Ja, you canīt fool us hey, we saw your heavy, multiday training pictures with Chris ;D ;D

But if I find out from Yoda Ian has been secretly training in the Swampworld of Muizenberg or something, the light sabres are going to come out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:17:19 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline LoodPb

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #310 on: October 19, 2014, 06:10:52 pm »
No, no...... remember looks can be deceiving .......... Wasn't me, was the stunt double....... It's true bru... :biggrin:

Sien julle in upington manne !!! Lekker wees om almal bietjie te ontmoet!

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #311 on: October 19, 2014, 06:19:05 pm »

Ja, you canīt fool us hey, we saw your heavy, multiday training pictures with Chris ;D ;D

But if I find out from Yoda Ian has been secretly training in the Swampworld of Muizenberg or something, the light sabres are going to come out.

Yoda sees nothing, Yoda speaks nothing  :tongue6:
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #312 on: October 19, 2014, 08:28:38 pm »
Yoda speaks Yada Yada  8)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #313 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:13 pm »
10 days to go. Kitchen table. Bike re-wiring. Again! This time it will be awesome.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #314 on: October 22, 2014, 07:30:53 am »
Wiring goodness. The entire control centre of a rally lite bike. With thanks to the wonderful ideas and products of Paul Degarate of Highway Dirtbikes!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #315 on: October 22, 2014, 08:03:56 am »
Wiring goodness. The entire control centre of a rally lite bike. With thanks to the wonderful ideas and products of Paul Degarate of Highway Dirtbikes![img width=768

That is SO elegant  :notworthy:

Offline Buff

« Reply #316 on: October 22, 2014, 08:52:20 am »
Looks awesome Ian  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #317 on: October 22, 2014, 09:12:57 am »
Don't skimp on the radio please. ::)

I used those small Zarteks. Both broke in training before I even got to Amageza.

See you in a few days time.
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #318 on: October 28, 2014, 12:17:17 am »
OK, bought the damn radio... a day before race org announced the cheapies were fine. Still, if it does happen that I need it I'm going to be glad I have the real deal!

Had a good final shakedown at Atlantis this weekend. Happy to report I'm feeling decently back to reasonable strength, if fat, undertrained and not exactly doing one armed-pressups can be called raring to go. But hey, I'm certainly not complaining. A week back I wondered if I was going to make this thing at all.

Did a lot of reconfiguring of electrics and controls over the weekend. Check this out!

The bike is mechanically sorted with a new X-ring chain fitted on Friday. I think 14/50 might suit me fractionally better than the 14-48 I've got on there now, especially with the more technical sounding route, but I can't face another R700 so that's it. Only issue to sort out now really is the fuel injection light that isn't working. The bike is running fine, but for some reason the light is out (and it's not the bulb). That little light tells you when there are faults in the engine, and what they are, so I'd like to have it operational. KTM politely told me they didn't have time to look at it this week, so that option is out. Bastards. It's midnight and I'm about to dive back into the wiring diagrams to try and work it out for myself.

Then an oil and filter change and a new back tyre and we're ready to roll. A year of being late for offroad events and desperate nights before in my garage has hopefully left me more than half prepared for this. Well, here's hoping anyway!

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
  • No vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end
« Reply #319 on: October 28, 2014, 03:46:47 am »
Glad your health is turning. I'm also nowhere near my initial goals for fitness or riding but we'll just have to push on and see what happens I suppose. At least I have the waking up early part sorted  ;D
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy