Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BB's 2015 Dakar story  (Read 5349 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
BB's 2015 Dakar story
« on: March 08, 2014, 08:43:24 pm »
Hi. My name is Neil, and I'm a rally tragic.   :ricky:  >:D  :snorting:

Dakar 2015. I've decided I am going to ride it. Its my goal. I'm hoping you will follow along, and would love to hear from you.

If you're not familiar with the Dakar, its in South America these days. Its a 9,000km race. Here is what it can be like.

I have started this thread and then deleted it maybe ten times. I think because the challenge really is like eating an elephant and its scary.

I'm going to be 42 next month, but really I'm a 25 yr old kid trapped in an older persons body. I'm very unfit and overweight. I smashed my lower right leg to smithereens 15 months ago biking and have had to learn how to walk again after a couple of operations and a long time lying on a bed. I have a plate and 12 long screws in and below the knee. I'm walking okay now but I cannot squat and I can barely straighten it. Its not very strong and I can't stand riding for long.

But the inspiration is there. I have the bike, a 2012 KTM 450 Rally Replica. The drive is there. I can do this if I put my mind to it. I am going to put my mind to it. The opposition is also there though, along with the worries and the fear and I guess that what makes it so scarey for me to talk about.

If you feel like supporting me financially, Please make your contribution here.. A big thank you once again to everyone who has done so already, every little bit will really help a lot. But this thread is not about fundraising. Its about who I am, what I will be doing and what I will be experiencing over the next 9 months as I prepare for the toughest race in the world.

Speaking about in this way seems a little bit unreal to me. Previously it was just a far off dream. Now it is close enough for me to smell, to understand and to do. It helps that I have been following it very closely for 5 years now. I know many of the players, and am friends with quite few of them. I think I have the know how too having done a couple of rallies myself, but I am under no illusions: I am still short on experience, and I am short on riding ability and physical strength. These things I can and must address in the next few months if I am going to have a shot at finishing.

My hands are getting sweaty again thinking about it. If you're a climber you will be smiling at this. Happens to me on bikes as well.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:29:08 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
Re: BB's Road to the Dakar 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:12:43 pm »
From the other thread, I have  listed some of the challenges I face.

• I'm working my ass off and don't have a lot of free time (don't we all?) ;D
  • I'm an amateur rider
  • My rally bike does not have plates and the authorities say it as illegally imported ::)
  • I need to raise a million Rand I don't have this year to do all the rallies I have planned including the Dakar. (R700K just for the Dakar)
  • I have only done one international rally so far
  • I need to do two more this year.
  • There is a chance my application will be turned down
  • The Missus is strongly against me doing it - she thinks I might not come back
  • My leg is still not 100% yet after an injury and my riding is not up where it as
  • I dont have medical insurance right now
  • I'm unfit and overweight.
  • This kind of sport is frowned on by my clientele (the people who I work for). They don't want me taking any risks

So here is what I have been able to do to address a couple of them:

I joined a gym last week. I have been there twice this week and pulled something in my arm trying to be hero :P So I have taken it easy since Wednesday. I will start again on Monday. My focus is going to be spinning, mat exersizes, the rowing machine and some light weight reps. I don't want to bulk up after all. I want to get lean and mean.   I suppose I should weigh myself now.

My bottle of Johnny black is almost done. I'm going to stop drinking next week sometime.

I cannot comment on the work front right now. The plan is to get some money somehow to move the Company forward and we are working hard at that. There is no way I could sponsor myself in case you're wondering, as attractive as that option is. ;D

On the riding front it has been quiet lately, although I have started getting my head into longer endurance routes. I did a couple of videos which I will post shortly. I need new tyres for my bikes, which I got yesterday.

My Rally bike...oh my bike...So I got it going. But the chain snapped, and I think it broke some teeth on the 2nd gear because I have not been able to smoothly mesh the gears. :(

I'm going to try and open it up tomorrow and see what I can see. I have never done a gearbox before, am all thumbs with this stuff, and I don't have a repair manual. Any advice from the knowledgeable guys out there? ;D Look, I have to know my bike inside out so its better that I learn this stuff now. ::)

I got the KTM people to try and register the bike. They say there are some import papers missing and I can't register it. :( This is Bad BAAAD news. But there is still hope. The nice lady there will get hold of the import agent and see what she can do to track the needed paperwork down. I told her if she can get it right her name will be on the bike! Holding thumbs there.

Finally I have thought about what racing events I need to do before the end of the year. Amageza 2014 for sure. This will be my last rally, and I will treat it as a training event, riding conservatively. I don't want to break anything because that would ruin my Dakar chances. I have a Yamaha Rally bike standing in PE that I will have to get fixed up somehow from here in Peru. I wont have much time ahead of the rally to do this.

I want to do the Desafio Los Incas, and maybe one other rally in the Americas (Sertoes YEAH! or the Baja/Diabolico rally in Mexico which are just a 3 day events). The Desafio los Incas in September is part of the Dakar series event. If I get the highest rookie position in that rally I could get a free ticket to the Dakar!  Then there are couple of enduro events here in Peru I would like to enter, but I have never done this before and I don't have any support. I don't even have a car! ;D Guess I will have to make some new friends.

So that's it for now. No idea how I am going to afford all this but I have to be positive that it will happen, even if its on a shoestring and 2nd hand tyres.
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Re: My road to the 2015 Dakar Dream
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:48:36 pm »
Right, so everything is against you, and there's almost no chance this is going to work?

Sounds like a perfect starting point to me!  ;) What can possibly go wrong?

Seriously, Neil - where there's a will, there's a way. And sometimes the highest mountains are easiest to climb. I'm supposed to be doing the Argus tomorrow, but I've ridden it a bunch of times and have nothing to prove, and I'm feeling lazy, and the wind is blowing and I have a flat tyre. So I'm thinking of switching off the alarm and sleeping in instead. Now that I've read this, I can't, can I?

Good luck, and may the desert winds be with you! You're going to need it. But fortunate favours the brave!

Go Don Quixote, GO!!!!

Offline Milla

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
Re: BB's 2015 Dakar story
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:54:46 pm »
Neil,  :hello2: :hello2: :thumleft:! You have my support, bud..

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:59:37 pm »
Sub flippen scribe

:blob6:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 06:21:23 am »
Neil, no doubt you have taken on one mother of a task. We all know how much of a Rallye nut you are and how much you love the the Dakar. I would have thought that 2016 would be your best chances, considering how much needs to be teed up. Get fit and do two events this year. Get yourself rally ready by next year this time. I recall how much prep and lead time privateer Greg Raaf needed to get ready and get accepted, with help from big influencers like Alfie Cox. You've just come back from a serious injury. Raising the kind of funds you need is big task all on its own. I know how much you want to do this, give yourself the best chance of succeeding. Chat to Alfie, he's bound to give you the best advice in your journey to entering the Dakar.

Enjoy the odd whiskey after a hard days ride  :3some:

I'll be following your Dakar journey with tremendous interest ... All the way. Don't give up your dream.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline J-dog

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:25:54 am »
 :sip:

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:09:22 am »
Quite a list, BB - but looking at it only poits 3,4,6 and 7 need anything extra. The rest will just fall into place once you've sorted those 4.

The money is the biggee - that has to be worked on straight away - if possible, you may be able to raise enough to overcome the bike probelm, by buying another one. And the money takes care of the other rallies as well.

So it's money and application/entry and seeing how much money you have by May will give you an idea on your application. So - go for it - do not fail through lack of trying  :thumleft:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »
Neil - good luck and to finish you have to start - so  :thumleft:

Sound like a 2 year journey for me - look in two year's time you will be a very fit 44 year old
Maybe a half fit 43 this year is not a good thing ?

But don't give up - do everyday what you can and go and see a sport biokineticist - they can give you a program to get you the fastest to your goal without you hurting yourself .

Just keep on Walking  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Fortune favors the brave
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 02:25:54 pm »
Go for it Neil. :thumleft:
If it was easy everyone would do it.
Behind you all the way.

Start everyday with ... Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to be amazed!
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

KTM 450RR

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 02:29:18 pm »
Go NEIL - you can doooooo eeeeeeeeeeet !!!

To all others reading this thread - please click on the link in the first post, go mad and give generously - every cent donated will go towards this dream

The older I get the faster I was

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 08:41:30 pm »
....I would have thought that 2016 would be your best chances, considering how much needs to be teed up. Get fit and do two events this year. Get yourself rally ready by next year this time. ... You've just come back from a serious injury. .... give yourself the best chance of succeeding. Chat to Alfie, he's bound to give you the best advice in your journey to entering the Dakar.

Thanks WR, you have always been so supportive. You are right of course, maybe 2016 is better, but honestly, I am gatvol with postponing this thing. My original plan  in Feb 2010 was to do it in 2011. Then it became 2012. Then 2013. Then 2014. Now its 2015. I can't keep doing this to myself. I have missed 4 Dakars already! :P

So for now it will be 2015. If I get rejected or whatever then I will obviously go for 2016, but for now Its 2015, and I wont get rejected.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
Re: My road to the 2015 Dakar Dream
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 08:47:45 pm »
Seriously, Neil - where there's a will, there's a way. And sometimes the highest mountains are easiest to climb. I'm supposed to be doing the Argus tomorrow, but I've ridden it a bunch of times and have nothing to prove, and I'm feeling lazy, and the wind is blowing and I have a flat tyre. So I'm thinking of switching off the alarm and sleeping in instead. Now that I've read this, I can't, can I?

Thanks Bru! ;D Hope the Argus went well.

Neil,  :hello2: :hello2: :thumleft:! You have my support, bud..

Thanks Milla, you have been a big encouragement to me. BTW are you doing the Amageza this year?

Quite a list, BB - but looking at it only poits 3,4,6 and 7 need anything extra. The rest will just fall into place once you've sorted those 4.

The money is the biggee - that has to be worked on straight away - if possible, you may be able to raise enough to overcome the bike probelm, by buying another one. And the money takes care of the other rallies as well.

So it's money and application/entry and seeing how much money you have by May will give you an idea on your application. So - go for it - do not fail through lack of trying  :thumleft:

Thanks bud. I should be able to scrape enough together for the entry fee deposit by May. If things go well with the company I will be back paid and so this will help a lot. Its all the other expenses, like 7 rear tyres, 6 front tyres and 12 mousses for a start!

Neil - good luck and to finish you have to start - so  :thumleft:
Sound like a 2 year journey for me - look in two year's time you will be a very fit 44 year old
Maybe a half fit 43 this year is not a good thing ?
But don't give up - do everyday what you can and go and see a sport biokineticist - they can give you a program to get you the fastest to your goal without you hurting yourself .
Just keep on Walking  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ja, you may be right but for now but 9 months is enough time I think, so I am going to try and stick to the target. The money challenge is the biggest I reckon. Fitness can come in 3-5 months.

If it was easy everyone would do it.
Behind you all the way.
Start everyday with ... Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to be amazed!

This. :deal: You hit the nail on the head, and I love your quote. Anything is possible.

Go NEIL - you can doooooo eeeeeeeeeeet !!!

Boet, you have no idea how much I appreciate you personal involvement and support!  :notworthy:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 08:50:58 pm »
Okay for starters, here is what my liaison looks like to get out into the desert. A little about life in Peru too I guess.

Its my route to work because, I am treating this year's riding prep as one would a job. You need to work to be paid and you need to train to finish the Dakar.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYnQxuJYP8Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DYnQxuJYP8Q</a>

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:52:05 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline BosGemors

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 08:54:27 pm »
Sub. Chase your dreams!!
ex Yamaha XT660z Tenere
ex Kawasaki KLR650
ex MotoMia TS-250

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 09:20:34 pm »
You know I'm along for the ride mate!

Happy to go collect your WR and prep her for your Amageza, working on mine every few weeks as is. Same bike's; same JVO kit ; same tools and prep work
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Buff

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 10:11:13 pm »
Whoohoo... Been waiting for this thread for ages. Come on Neil, if there's one WD on this forum that can do this it's you, we're behind you 100%  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:41 am »
Subscribe, best of luck mate!

Offline g1_

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 10:09:17 am »
sub!

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 10:36:29 am »
Sub :biggrin:
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion