Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Zealand: A long way, but worth it.  (Read 7937 times)

Offline Three Dawg

Re: New Zealand: A long way, but worth it.
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 10:06:25 am »
Thanks for all the comments, glad you're enjoying it.  

Throttle Jockey:  We were over there for a little over a month- one of the benefits of being self employed I suppose.  Sounds flash but we have lots of family and friends over there so accommodation isn't a problem.  And it's a long way as I've mentioned.  

We rented the Super Ten for seven days.  If you wanted to see the top half of the south island you'd need at least ten days, ideally two weeks.  There are some great roads further north some of which are properly gnarly.

Anyway, I have some pretty decent pics from the next bit, should get them up this evening. :ricky:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:09:20 am by Three Dawg »
Into Africa!

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 10:24:20 am »
Thanks for all the comments, glad you're enjoying it.  

Throttle Jockey:  We were over there for a little over a month- one of the benefits of being self employed I suppose.  Sounds flash but we have lots of family and friends over there so accommodation isn't a problem.  And it's a long way as I've mentioned.  

We rented the Super Ten for seven days.  If you wanted to see the top half of the south island you'd need at least ten days, ideally two weeks.  There are some great roads further north some of which are properly gnarly.

Anyway, I have some pretty decent pics from the next bit, should get them up this evening. :ricky:

Thank you

I also thought a month is the ideal. Truely a beautiful country.

Cant wait to go back
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline JC

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 01:05:27 pm »
Nice Three Dawg! definitely on the bucket list. Keep 'em coming

Geotraveller

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 02:45:42 pm »
My Boet lives in Christchurch, been there 17 years now. Thanks for the memory push! I have visited there a number of times now and it never fails to impress. Stunningly beautiful country.

Offline Three Dawg

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 04:32:23 pm »
Yeah, there are a good few emigres from SA there.  I know one in Chch- has a couple of Laverdas and now an 1100GS.
Into Africa!

Offline Three Dawg

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 07:00:56 pm »
Ya gotta love a road that looks like this on Bing.  The first part of the Nevis Road was pretty steep.  I think I read somewhere that it rises to 1300m above sea level.  OK, it's not the Sani, but it was a fun climb.

The rest of the route looks like this.  The road comes out at the small township of Bannockburn and from there it's tarmac back to Queenstown.

Along the way there were plenty of fords to cross

One or two gnarlier bits

This was gold mining country and some old mining buildings remain.  There is still at least one still working up here.  You can see the spoil heaps in the background which are now clearly used for recreational purposes by people with a lighter bike/more skill than me.

We regrouped at this signpost before starting the long descent to Bannockburn.

Fine view to Lake Wakatipu about 20 miles away

What a belting day's riding.  Must say, the beer at the end of it was welcome. :biggrin:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:53:45 am by Three Dawg »
Into Africa!

Offline Three Dawg

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 03:41:42 pm »
Well so long Queenstown.  Always good to be there- maybe I'l go live there one day.
Our next stop is the historic coaching inn at Dansey's Pass.  The weather is great, it ain't too far so plenty of time to stop for photos.

First up is the old gold mining settlement of Arrowtown.  Very popular with the tourists  (it's only a few miles from Queenstown) and has an eye on the Chinese market- see all the New Year Lanterns hanging up.  Kung hei fat choy mate, happy new year of the horse.

After Arrowtown we rejoined the main road east through the Karawau gorge, passing the original bunjee jump along the way.  Not much of a pic, but betterthan the  people who drove past waving an SLR out of the window of their car, presumably photographing the same thing.

The Gorge

We took a coffee break at a winery that also had old gold mining connections- this huge pump was used to wash soil off the hill.

This is apparently a 'tasting'bridge' (half full)

For beer drinkers the Kiwis have 'tasting paddles'  seen modelled here by Mrs 3D. What a great idea!

Hell of a way to travel...

The famous giant fruit at Cromwell

And on to Wedderburn.  Ry, is that you..?

The old station is still there, but the railway tracks are long gone.  It's now a cycle track.  Good idea.

At the bottom of Dansey's Pass is Naseby, a village out of time.

The old garage was full of memorobilia

At the foot of the pass the tarmac ran out and we climbed up to the inn.

We were looked after by a very friendly Canadian.  Our waiter in the evening was from Estonia and I think the cook was from South America.  Apparently at least one New Zealander works there...
Dinner was quite fun because the waiter could speak about as much English as I can Estonian.  But we got there in the end, even if he did open the wrong (more expensive wine)

They lit the fire for us.  Nice and cosy.

And a dram or two to finish.  Some of it was local-ish

Tomorrow Tekapo and lots more gravel!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:24:06 pm by Three Dawg »
Into Africa!

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 05:41:47 pm »
really enjoying this report. Thanks for sharing.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Coxwain

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Real men ride a pig...
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 06:23:12 pm »
One thing that strikes me is how clean New Zealand is ...no sign of litter anywhere. Awesome pics ..Keep em coming  :thumleft:
PIG LITE....Honda NX 650
Thel PIG... BMW R 1150 GS
The Black Bitch ...Yamaha XT 660 R Black Magic ....Yamaha XT 660 Z
Found my next ride .....BMW 1150 GS ...a mans bike

Offline Three Dawg

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 06:41:00 pm »
Those Kiwis are very proud of the PureNZ thing.  Course there are only about 4 1/2 million of them in a country about the same size as the UK, but yeah, it is a clean and tidy place.
Into Africa!

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 07:09:43 pm »
Fantastic. Thank you for sharing. 
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota

Offline Jag man

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 07:28:42 pm »
Very nice pics and thanks for sharing.

Offline haasdas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 07:43:19 pm »
This is great seeing the not-so-frequent-tourist pics :) Safe journey!

Offline Three Dawg

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 09:28:21 pm »
Another stoating day arrived for our ride over Danseys Pass and the Hakataramea pass to Lake Tekapo.  I can't get Google or Bing to draw the maps, but it's basically north.

Danseys was a pleasant run.  Nothing too challenging which meant I could watch the scenery go by.

Once down off the pass we found that the Kiwis had been decorating their fences again, this time with boots and shoes.

Madness

Lunch stop at Duntroon.  How come you can arrive in a tiny wee place like this and find an absolutely excellent place for brunch?  Marvellous.

The Flying Pig cafe.

The rest of Duntroon was quaint, to say the least.  The old jail:

The old blacksmith's shop

No fuel, but still open

After refuelling in Kurow- not a moment too soon- we headed off up to the Hakataramea pass.

Don't think we saw another vehicle until we rejoined the main highway.   The sign at the top of the pass had taken a bit of a pounding...

In the background you can see the southern alps.  

Got to our cabin overlooking Lake Tekapo in good time.  Bloody marvellous spot to be.

Yeah, a good day.  One more to go. :-(

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:19:16 pm by Three Dawg »
Into Africa!

Offline IRISH

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 05:13:43 am »
3D I have lived in the North Island for a year now and I brought my bike over with me. The trip you have done is on my immediate bucket list so your RR has been exceptionally inspiring. Thank you. Just sitting out the tail end of Cyclone Lusi at the moment and seeing these images makes me want to ride. The north island is also spectacular but there are 4 million people here so the roads are busier and less challenging. I have to make a special effort to stay on the road at times as you come around a corner and there is this stunning vista in front of you but the roads are narrow and usually there is a steep drop-off. Can't wait for some leave to experience the South.

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 05:42:44 am »
Picture perfect - a Switzerland of sorts - very pretty - looks like you were lucky with the weather :thumleft:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Three Dawg

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 10:07:01 am »
3D I have lived in the North Island for a year now and I brought my bike over with me

Well there's plenty more than this- we didn't touch the north half of the south island- get on that ferry!  We also rode a bit in the north island with friends who own a couple of Ducatis (a Hypermotard and an 860GTS).  Went up to Keri Keri to see some friends and had a fantastic ride up the west side through Dargaville and the Kauri forests and back down down to Auckland through Mangawai (sp?)   The bevel was a lovely bike.
Into Africa!

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 10:20:02 am »
What dates were you riding the South Island to get that 'PERFECT' weather ?

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 10:35:30 am »
Fantastic report  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thank you for sharing it
Rallye

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 11:25:09 am »
 :sip: