New Zealand: A long way, but worth it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
After three amazing trips to southern Africa it was time for me and Mrs Three Dawg to catch up with the folks in New Zealand (for Mrs 3D is a Kiwi)  Was I going to go all that way and not get any biking in?  No chance!

We booked a Super Tenere from City Motorcycle Rentals in Christchurch, who were really helpful. We mapped out a loop of the southern part of the island, first heading over to the west coast via Arthur's Pass to Hokitika.  From there we planned to head south to Haast and Queenstown via Wanaka.  The next bit I was really excited by because we found out that it was possible to put the bike on the steamer The TSS Earnslaw which plies Lake Wakatipu from Queenstown to the Walter Peak sheep station (more a dude ranch/tourist trap these days I think).  We'd then ride the Von Road through the southland back country and the remote 4x4 only Nevis Road back to Queenstown.  From there we would loop back to Lake Tekapo and Christchurch via several more unmade passes in seven days.  

It's a hell of a long way from Inverness, Scotland, but after 5 flights (not consecutively, thank heavens) we were in Christchurch.  Before we picked up the bike we were taken on a tour of what's left of the city.  After the earthquake three years ago many of the buildings in the centre of town have had to be pulled down if they didn't fall down in the quake.  Things seem to be moving a bit slowly, but they're probably arguing down at City Hall, as they do.

P1260477small.jpg

185 people died in the quake.  There is a temporary memorial made of chairs painted white on a vacant lot.  It's surprisingly affecting.

P1260478small.jpg

The front of the existing cathedral fell off, so they have this rather elegant temporary one; the so-called Cardboard Cathedral.

P1260471small.jpg

P1260481small.jpg

The following day, we picked up the bike.  I went for the Yam because it was cheaper than the GSs on offer (all of which I've ridden) and it turned out to be a really good ride.  The front fork is a bit stiff on rough ground, but I liked the 'twisted twin' 270 degree parallel twin motor.

P1000417small.jpg