West Coast Trip 3-4 June

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboef

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Here?s a few pics of the trip I did this past weekend. It was organised by Mouton van Zyl of Moto-Avontuur (also photographer with Media 24).
We started at the Engen 1stop on the N1 outside Cape Town. There were around 50 bikes (my estimate), some of which included two Tenere?s, one R80GS, three new KTM990 Adventures, and the usual collection of GS?es and Africa Twins. Yes, there was one Kawasaki KLE as well. No KLR?s unfortunately?.
We started out on the N1, turned towards Paarl, and went through Riebeeck West. The route consisted mainly of smooth gravel roads, and the going was smooth. Just before Porterville we struck the first mud and thick sand. One guy on a 1150GS adventure bought it in thick sand, but at walking pace, so no harm done. And an 82year old man from Somerset West who bough himself a Transalp after his wife?s death 3 years back fell over in some deep mud after he got stuck and some guys pulled him out. My TKC80?s really impressed me in the thick sand.
There were a few hairy moments in the sand for some other riders as well, but all came through in the end, and before long we arrived in Porterville for the first fuel stop. Then we headed out in the direction of Citrusdal, and turned off at the top of the Piekenierskloof Pass in the direction of Graafwater. Here we drove some fast gravel, with a scattering of potholes and bumps. Any speed less than 80, and your dentures would shake loose. So I accelerated up to 120 and things got much better.
In Graafwater we filled up again, and took on the last gravel strech of about 60 kilometers. As I went over one of the many little rises in the road, the sea suddenly appeared right in front of me (check the picture). Beautiful.
I pulled into Doringbaai, and rode the last 10k?s to Strandfontein in record time, amost tasting that cold beer waiting for me.
Mouton organised a spitbraai and we had a lekker aandjie by die see. Prizes were awarded to some riders. One of the recipients was Oom Jordaan (the 82 year old Transalp rider), who fell over in the mud. A prize also went to Henk (KTM950 Adv) for carrying the youngest pillion passenger, his son (think he?s 3 years old).
Next morning we set out for Elandsbaai, riding the toll road next to the Sished-Saldanha railway line. Gravel all the way, but nice and smooth, and maybe that was a blessing in disguise, because I was feeling a bit wolly from all the cooldrinks of last night.
We stopped at the Elandsbaai hotel after some 50 k?s, and regrouped for the last 70k?s stretch to Veldrift, the break-up point.
All in all, a baie lekker weekend. My AT behaved impeccably, but I was especially glad of the Continantal TKC80?s, which no doubt saved my ass on more than one occasion.

Here?s a few pics (if I can upload them correctly?)

The first stop

Piekenierskloof pass farmstall

The Atlantic ocean (close to Strandfontein)

The view from our chalet (Strandfontein)

Me paying the tollgate fees just before Elandsbaai