Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Overland South Africa to Europe  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Chrissie B

• Heksie and da Broom
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Still love my Twin
Re: Overland South Africa to Europe
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 11:11:44 am »

Yes, ship by sea.  From Joburg to UK.  You'd have to send the bike quite a while ahead of your planned dates though, since it takes quite long to get there (6+ weeks)!  My son's are in London, so one could always arrange with them to find storage for the bike and goods.

After checking the logistics and costs, you won't get far with R11k...  just the bloody carnets and visas will cost double that... never mind fuel, accommodation and food... then there's the possibility of having to pay bribes... So no, 11k won't even get you on the road yet!

I think if you want to specifically tour Europe, it's better to send the bike over.  Anything can happen riding through Africa, and then you may not even get the chance to explore the north if the bike breaks or you break (God forbid!).  Perhaps riding back is an option, if you still feel like riding by then, lol...
Chrissie B. (Just Heksie)

A good rider has balance, judgment and good timing. So does a good lover!

Offline El Lobo

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Quo Vadis?
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 06:33:01 pm »
I've just opened the WD page. Reading your response (info) was very interesting, Chrissie B! I believe that one gains far more relevant information by either someone who'd done the transporting of his / her bike north or who's already done most / all of the necessary homework.

Hermit, I've not yet got to that point. Chrissie's comment regarding experiencing Europe has merit, as far as I personally am concerned, because I may not have three to five months to do both the trans - Africa trip and the Europe bit. I do, however, want to traverse the Atlas mountains. That is non - negotiable! How and when depends on a number of deciding factors. I won't appreciate doing my trip in Morocco and Europe in either winter or late summer. Having backpacked in both Europe and the UK some years ago, I'm quite keen to undertake my envisaged trip in the Northern hemisphere during late spring and early summer.

Every adventurer has his / her own "bucket list" and my most prominent item is the Atlas Mountains. I'd probably then opt for getting my Tiger there by ship and joining my loyal and very able steed a while later. The prospect of being able to visit good friends in both Germany and the UK does make it an even more attractive option as well.

Your thoughts?
Quo Vadis?

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 08:55:15 am »
Two options that I know for sending your bike to Europe at a reasonable price -
1) Inter-sped Cape, Alan Lewis, alan@intersped-ct.co.za
2) http://www.africanoverlanders.com

One thing I learned with shipping my bikes back from Egypt is that you have to get details about the cost of getting your bike back at the destination.  Here in Cape Town I was charged R 3800 per crated bike to remove it from a container into the bonded warehouse.  This would have taken less than 5 minutes per bike.  Then they rip you a few 1000 for storage fees, document fees etc and it ended up costing me more to get my bike back once it had arrived in Cape Town than what the shipping costs were from Egypt to here.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Chrissie B

• Heksie and da Broom
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Still love my Twin
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 03:05:47 pm »
El Lobo, yes it would be best to get comments from someone who has shipped bikes back and forth... and voila, in comes Amsterdam!  ;D

Mmm, that's not a bad price at all!  Even to Rotterdam wouldn't be a problem for me... I would pick it up and ride it from anywhere in Europe. 

My bike would not be going back to SA, that's if I decide to take it with.  I'm still looking at the logistics of shipping my bike or rather buying one when I get there.  Because if I do take my bike with then I have to go through all the import hassles and documentation!  And I have no idea what the costs are to do all that, never mind the bureaucracy and running in a 'strange' country!   :deal:

Chrissie B. (Just Heksie)

A good rider has balance, judgment and good timing. So does a good lover!