Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Water in die Waterberg, Sterkrivier, Bakenberg, Marken 7-9 Maart  (Read 4252 times)

Offline Armpie

So my heavy and me says to each other we want adventure.  So much he wanted adventure he actually boughted  a new BMWF800 Adventure.  So we believe adventure in the Waterberg is a commodity to share.  So we invite Tertius and the rest of the JRAD (Just rode across dirt).  All three of them.  Tertius on his friend’s GS1200, also Wynand on his GS1200 and Hennie on his Super  Tenere.  I climb on my Red Mare, my favorite 2006 KLR on earth.

For adventure we picked in advance bad weather.  We takes the wetest weekend for many years.  In driving rain we get to Warmbad from Pretoria on a Friday afternoon.  When we get to the mainstreet (Nelson Mandelastreet- all mainstreets in the New South Africa is named so),  and we see the first caravan comes floating in front of the bakkie past  Klein Kariba, we was going to got serious fun.  My KLR’s 21 inch rim was halfway in the water.  Strew as bob.  But it rained so much we did not take out a camera. A had thought of bringing my tooter from the water scooter.

Past Naboomspruit we took the Bronne road and here the sports started. Mud was everywhere.  But we survived the first 30km of mud without too much as 5 slips.  Wynand was the first one to take the unplanned detour, skirting the game fence for a few meters.  But the KLR also took one or two slips.  When we arrive at my brother’s farm it is still raining and my sidestand decided to test the ground on the side in China.  But my riding companions showed no interest in  the hardy KLR, so they just took out cameras and started filming.  They is too scared to be on a photo with a KLR I realized.

The say “friends do not llet friend ride KLR’s”.  So after me threating them that they will all sleep in the rain, they agrees to help if all cameras was off.  So much for their sense of adventure!

So next morning we go for a 280km trip across the Waterberg.  

But plans they can change. So we goes to Bakenberg.  Then we leafes the road for a road with no name.  It is a road less traveled.  But I knows this road is called the “Elandskuiling  Pass”.

So we struggled through the wet sand and slippery mud until we reach rocks and stuff.  We can even see waterfalls in the Waterberg.  Behind our backs is a beautiful site of nice nature.
So about 8km of the pass, we turn right up a little road of two tracks into the mountains.  Both the two tracks is streams with watercoming down.  First Hennie goes up with his Super Tenere, .  Then I goes.  I nearly flattens a tree with my front wheel.  But luckily I miss the tree and after about 200m I am with Hennie on top.  Then we waited some time.  After many minutes Tertius arrives.  He says I must go back as my heavy thinks this is not enough adventure for him.  On the way to the rear, I come across Wynand, he also took a dive where I nearly hit the tree.  When I get to the bottom, my heavy says this is it.  His new 250km old  bike is not ready for this.  So he turns back.  He sort of lost it and we only later find him back in Pretoria.

So the 4 of us continue on the 2 tracks.  The road is very slippery and at some places the water is 20cm deep coming down the tracks.

We go through a gate.  Made of wires.

Likie a soft copy of a gate. Then we reach a stream.  I think it must be the “Stofstroom” (that is Dusty River)but today it is a raging river, about 50 meters wide, and in the centre of the usual road 1 meter deep.  But on the sides about 400mm.  .
 Me and Tertius, the 101 Battalion Platoon Lieutenant , decided on how to make a tactical withdrawal or a full frontal charge.  But the old Policeman Hennie stormed the water and came across the 50m crossing.  Not without some faster heartbeat. So the tactical withdrawal idea was for sissies.  We all crosses once upon a time.  Not twice.  We reaches an old man with his cattle.                  He says the road is blocked by a wirefence. After 3 times we understand that we will have to make a tactical withdrawal after all.  So through the rain and the mud we crossed the river for a second time.

We again go back down the little road, then down the Elandskuiling Pass, then we turn left and go north towards Baken berg.  For the next 20km we skid and slide forward, then we turn left and go in a valley up through the Moepelberg.                        It is wet and the rain has just fallen.  So we ride the last 10km to Marken.

At Marken we took lunch.  The world famous Russian and chips, we took while sitting on the trappie.  But now it really rained.  

The farmers thought we are mad, because we ride a motorbike on a mud road in heavy rain.

Our idea change.  We did 120km from 8 o’clock and it is already 2 o’clock in the afternoon.  We took the shortcut back on the clean tar road, until we stop on the birt road back to Sterkrivier.  Here the lieutenant say we must park the motorbikes in a line to be “marsgereed”.  Then we brew coffee on an kettle with some fancy jetfuel stove.  Hennie says it can burn high, so I thinks it must be jetfuel.
We went back to base to drink some otherstuff and to eat meat and break (it was too much work to was the porridge pot).  The next morning we clean the base and went off to Vingerkraal near Mabula.

Here we plan to Visit my friend formerly from 32 Battalion and Koevoet, Gomes.  Again we encounter mud and some adventure terrain.  Close to Vingerkraal.  I picks up a dead jackal and Hennie cuts of his tail.                  The photo shows one dead jackal  wrapped over the KLR.  So everybody thinks I murders the fox with the KLR, BUT for a jackal I will cry harder than Oscar for his girlfriend.

At Vingerkraal we pull Gomes from his church.  So we drink somemore brew from the kettle.

We give Gomies some stuff and other goods in his pocket.               Then we leave for home.  When we reaches Warmbad it is still raining.  Again it is too much adventure for a camera.  On the old Pretoria Road it rains until Hammanskraal.

Man 48 hours of serious fun.  Dankie aan my mede rijders.  Volgende keer doen ons die ander helfte wat ons die keer gelos het.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:24:21 am by Armpie »
Sedert 8 Janaurie 1666 toe die "Vergulde Tijger" geanker het

Offline XXL

• Bike: Piaggio (all models)
  • I am Blessed
Re: Water in die Waterberg, Sterkrivier, Bakenberg, Marken 7-9 Maart
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:46:25 pm »
Very nice....and very wet! Brave! :thumleft:

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:47:08 pm »
Hel! Armpie, jy het nou net hier aangekom en klaar maak jy my bang met sulke modderpaaie  :eek7:
 :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:50:37 pm »
 :thumleft:
Rallye

Offline tertiusd

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • @Elzie-"RyDaaiDing.....!" 🏍💨💨💨
    • https://www.facebook.com/tertius.dup
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:25:17 pm »
MemoryMakingTrip with friends. Thx.
Blessings🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
#RyIemandRaak 🏍💨💨💨

Offline ALLEN I

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:14:02 pm »
Yip. Was lekker leesing your RR and then it stopped. thanks for sharing. :ricky:
Biking since the age of 11 nothing beats the freedom when u out there on u baby. Been doing it over 40 years now  (that's life)
Born a Biker, Live like a Biker, Die a Biker

Offline arno

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Toppie......Gooi Mielies!!
    • http://www.princealbertcycles .co.za
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:27:49 am »
Dankie vir die skryf en die fotos . Mooi wereld daai !
Fietse van die verlede: BMW F800GS ,BMW 1150 GS, Honda 305 cc, Honda 400 FOUR, Honda 550 FOUR, BMW 600/6 , DR 650

Tans:  Trapfiets

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:58:59 am »
Lekker man.  Dankie vir die deel

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Klein Torkar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 08:01:31 pm »
Dankie vir die deel

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re:
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 08:21:17 pm »
Lekker RR :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Offline skydiver

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Free as a bird
Accessories
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 08:28:22 pm »
Ek laaik jou britse taalgebruik.
Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
    • Harleyparts Online
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 07:21:17 am »
Lovely RR & pics

a dual sport Oom Schalk Lourens !
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991
http://www.harleyparts.online/ds/

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 08:25:30 am »
Koud nat en baie mooi.
  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 08:51:16 am »
"I picks up a dead jackal and Hennie cuts of his tail."

:biggrin:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:53:01 am by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Armpie

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 02:48:20 pm »
Hier is die kaart van die saterdag se slip-n-slide en swem

Offline Armpie

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 03:12:45 pm »
En die roete terug.  Die idee was om my die grondpad oor Syferfontein en Radium te kom.  Maar die reen wat daar voor ons geval het, en die reen van die afgelope 2 dae het ons met die teer shortcut huistoe gevat.  Genoeg modder is genoeg  :imaposer:

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 04:21:49 pm »
Lekker RR Armpie! Lekker gelag, maar ook die gebaar aan Gomes waardeer.  :thumleft:

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 08:36:55 pm »
Die bosveld is mooi groen. Dankie
Groot berge en lang grond paaie

Offline kwagga-sakkie

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Who dares ,wins...
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 09:13:27 pm »
Lekke man ! I am 40km's from Marken. Next time you must visit.
Progression is.. IT 200; IT 490;KDX 200;Cagiva wrx 200;KX 500;CR 500;ktm 380;300,450,520,525,530,500;300...What next
XT 250;Goldwing 1100;Gs 850;Tenere600;KTM640;950s;990adv;990s;690R and 1190!

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Ousted Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 07:34:40 pm »
Great paaie daai :thumleft:
Daai Moepel reserve pad is great :biggrin:
As julle bo by die vurk in die pad links gedraai het sou julle ook by die Potties Marken Pad uitgekom het - so 30 clicks van marken af
Julle het reg verby Makekeng gery
Julle kon daar oorgeslaap het
Kontak volgende keer vir my of Kilroy :thumleft:
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!