My annual leave. The hell , Baviaans and some more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
The internet has recently celebrated its 24 year of existence. With the coming of the internet has come a lot of evils , but also a lot of good. Amongst other things the internet has made the world a lot smaller.  So it is that through the internet I have come to meet some wonderful people. And the internet has shown me places such as the Hell and Baviaanskloof. But seeing it on a PC screen is not same as being there yourself and experiencing a place on your own. And so with my annual leave due I started to make plans to go and see some of those places for myself.

DAY 1

I start my day by packing Jemima and making sure that everying is tied down nicely and ready for the trip. Actually, I did the packing the previous night and all I need do is strap everything down and get into my bike gear.

My first stop is at the fuel station where I spend a few minutes checking and adjusting my tire pressures.

IMG_0645.jpg

Because I ride the area around Cape Town a lot I do not stop for pics but I do decide to stop for a pic when I cross the Berg river near Francshoek.

IMG_0647.jpg

A quick stop at the top of the pass to look at the scenery

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

And I am off again.

I make a point of relaxing and taking it easy. And I force myself to get into the holiday mode by stopping a lot to take pictures.

IMG_0653.jpg

I go through Villiersdorp and just after the pass I turn right onto a gravel road that points in the general direction I want to go.

Now if you are on a Dualsport bike , then signs like this are what you want to see :

IMG_0654.jpg

And roads like these are what we ride for :

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

I pass the Breede bash site and cross the river just after the site. The next road to the right takes me along the river valley and towards Robertson.

You have to wonder what frightens someone to run out of his shoes like this :

IMG_0659.jpg

The road follows the river for a distance.

IMG_0660.jpg

I go through Robertson and Ashton.

In Ashton I stop at the train for a pic and grab something to eat.

IMG_0664.jpg

The idea was to go through Montagu and then follow a dirt road past Rietkraal se rivier towards Koedoeskloof , but talking to the local at the restaurant he tells me that the road is closed because it goes through a nature reserve. Not having been that way before I have to believe him and so I stay on the tar road hoping to turn left onto the dirt at a later stage.

Close to the Op de Tradouw pass I turn left onto a dirt road that looks promising. But about 7kms down the road I am met by a gate proclaiming that in front of me lies Sanbona Nature reserve.

The toothless security guard at the gate was very unhelpful and just flatly denied me thoroughfare. I suspect that my spinning rear wheel roosting him and his office might have given him an indication of what I felt like when I had to turn around.

I stopped down the Sanbona road to grab a pic of two of the locals.

IMG_0665.jpg

Back onto the R62 I continued towards Barrydale stopping for some pics along the way.

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

I have done the Tradouw pass in a car before but never on a bike and so I decided to go down and back up the pass.

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

I turned around

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

and stopped to just soak in the view and the sounds.

I was amazed at how much of the Fynbos I could smell. What really tickled me though was that I could really smell the fynbos every time after I put helmet on. It was somewhere on day two that I realized the I was not smelling the fynbos , but that my helmet inners needed a serious meeting with some soap and water.

IMG_0676.jpg

Then it was past Barrydale and on towards Ladismith and Koedoeskloof.

IMG_0678.jpg

I went past a VW Jetta lying on the embankment and looking a bit battered so I turned around to investigate how and why someone would park their vehicle like that.

The evidence was fairly straight forward.

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

and the damage quite spectacular.

IMG_0683.jpg

I do suspect that some locals came and helped themselves to some of spares available while the car was lying there.

I turned left past Buffelsdrift,  dealt with a local traffic jam

IMG_0684.jpg

admired the view

IMG_0685.jpg

and stopped at Velbrandt and Debi at Koedoeskloof where I pitched my tent and chilled.

IMG_0686.jpg

A warm shower and an awesome Koedoe burger later and I was sleeping like a baby.