What would you do in this situation ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
In the Landy, this afternoon, driving past UCT from Killarney to Southern Suburbs, (at Landy speed), sort of below Newlands Forest area. Noticed cars in front slowing down for a section where a Waterpipe or sewage pipe had burst and flooded the road. The strip of the water or wet area was about 20 metres wide, covered both lanes and seemed to be flowing quite strongly and about an inch or so deep. I hit this water obstacle at about 60 k/p/h and felt the back of the Landy pull out slightly. All I could do was accelerate slightly and drove out of a potential slide, but what I did notice that it felt like we actually skied across the surface of the water until hitting the drier surface. Now, before all the jokes fly about Landrover, etc, on a more serious question, I ride a 2007 KLR 650, am still a Newby and ride that stretch of road quite often. What would have been the right thing to have done if I was on my KLR? Keeping in mind that I would only have seen this "skidpan" at the very last minute, posibbly Lane Splitting and then I would have been into it. My instinct tells me that I should accelerate !!! Please, I would appreciate feedback from my esteemed Forum Friends as to what I should do when this happens again. Thanks