Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Harley Davidson - Share your photos and information/news here  (Read 22927 times)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Harley Davidson Cruisers ;D

I have never thought that there would come a day in my life where I would be a ‘converted fan’ of a cruiser and that a Harley Davidson! :3some:

However, as we all know some Wild Dogs own a broad range of bikes from commuters, cafe racers and even Cruisers.

It’s not for all a thing about age  :peepwall: . You will always hear people say; ‘I am not yet ready for a cruiser’
However, have you seen Harley’s of late? The Bobbers (883 and 1200’s)
They are just awesome cruisers and the quality is up there with the Italian market if not better in some cases  :deal: .

I was at Centurion Yamaha today and there was a 1200 Harley Davidson Bobber parked next to Yamaha’s very own ‘Bolt’ which is in direct competition.
Honestly – there is no comparison in fit and finish and overall quality. The Yamaha’s rough surfaces on the frame, triple clamps and even the ‘digital’ dash looked so inferior. The attention to detail on the Harley, it is like a piece of art....yes yes I would not mind one ok! :laughing4: :laughing4:

Who else own a Harley? Post some pictures and share some information please!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
Re: Harley Davidson - Share your photos and information/news here
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:22:25 pm »
I am looking forward to the release of the XL1200T (T for touring) in the second quarter of the year

Offline Lem

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 05:30:46 pm »
if you want a cruiser...stick to what you know. It doesn't matter if Japanese cruisers costs less, accelerates faster, corners faster, they will NEVER steal the Harley spotlight.

certain models tend to resurface every three years or so

the base bike in your picture was called a Sportster Low around 2010. Stick on some panniers & a screen (out of the catalogue) and, Voila! you have a tourer

Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Offshore

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 06:23:02 pm »
The quality of HD is top notch. People that talk kark about them are jealous. :3some:
This is my 2003 Deuce 100th Aniversary. I would not like to own only a HD but there should be one in every Stable.

Offline Mapog

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 06:46:02 pm »
Had a black Dyna Wide Glide and a Springer classic. In the NC there isnt that many nice tarred roads so I ended up selling them and took to our marvellous gravel roads and never looked back.
Must admit though, their built qaulity is top.
Nice solid bike. Overengineerd.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:50 pm »
I agree Lem, they will always be the 'name in cruisers'. That unique burble of the V twin and attention to detail!

Offshore your bike is stunning! Must have added quite a few farkles from the HD catalouge!

The Harley in the first picture is the 2014 XL1200T sportster selling for R135K.
Have a look on their weppage

Offline Wayne

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 08:11:19 pm »
After having taken one for a spin, i would definitely own one.
May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Lem

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 08:12:27 pm »
Offshore, in November 1999 I had to undergo surgery, the day after my Standard 9 final exam.

My brother bought me the December Bark Essay, which had the 2000 Softail Deuce on the cover. I fell in love with that bike right there & then.  It must be that straight line on the rear fender & the thick rear tire.

Then, whenever I read threads about arrogant service or lack of any service from the BMW/KTM/Yamaha & Honda dealers, I think Harley owners must have a chuckle at it. Because, even if my nett worth is not as much as a new Sportster & I'm wearing shorts when I enter the Harley showroom I have allways recieved wonderful service from both the Tygervalley & Cape Quarter branch. You just WANT to buy something from them, even if its a coffee mug. They have made me go on Demo days on several times, because they know, I'm a future customer. Wifey approves as well.  

And aabout the bikes....Sportsters have allways been really good value for money.  

I've never ridden a Sportster though.

Offline Nodrog 74

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:39:04 pm »
TVB, having read some of your posts and knowing that you have owned a 1200 explorer previously, I take it you not a small guy. That 1200 sportster is a small bike . Not knocking a 1200 sportster in anyway, it is a  nimble bike in comparison to the Big Twins but you would get bored with it fairly quickly.

If you like the styling of the sportster then you must look at the Dyna Range from HD. I own a Streetbob myself, which is a great all rounder and didn't cost me an arm and a leg to purchase and customise. Plenty bargains to be had if you troll gumtree and other similar sites . Harley's are cheap to maintain and pretty bullet proof in comparison to other brands and definitely built better than other brands of cruisers. Haters will say otherwise but most people that knock them have usually never owned one, never mind ridden one.

As with any bike, they all have their own uniqueness in the market place.

A bad days ride is better than a good days work !

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 09:02:05 pm »
Hi Nodrog 74! I am a beefy 110kg's, and 176cm. I stopped at Harley Davidson Zambezi last Saturday and did not even get of the KLR. The motor was still running. Girl on the back as well. (Now honestly must say the KLR feels like a toy after owning rather big bikes befor which include several road bikes in the litre class)
The next moment one of the salesman approached us and invite us in for a chat and a test ride. Unfortunately we had to go somewhere else and declined but promised to be back soon for a test ride. That after I briefly told him I can't affort a Harley straight away, I first need to land a contract. So he said no worries, but please come and visit us and 'you and your girl' go for a nice test ride! I immediately turned around and told Marianne that this is my kind of people, even friendly and inviting afer he heard I could not affort one at this point in time.  I will always love my adventures on DS bikes, but I will definately become a HD owner! I totally agree with Lem's view and experience.

I know I will land a contract abroad again (hopefully sooner thab later) and will have a look at the Dyna and the new 'T' Sportster. It is on my bucket list to do long road trips on a HD, and its seems the 'T' has got a bigger fuel tank and lockable saddle bags. The screen is apparently a Quick release. However, should I find the Sportster to small I will definately have a look at the Dyna....the other models are unfortunately priced very steep and out of range!

Cheers!

Offline Offshore

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 09:02:56 pm »
TVB, having read some of your posts and knowing that you have owned a 1200 explorer previously, I take it you not a small guy. That 1200 sportster is a small bike . Not knocking a 1200 sportster in anyway, it is a  nimble bike in comparison to the Big Twins but you would get bored with it fairly quickly.

If you like the styling of the sportster then you must look at the Dyna Range from HD. I own a Streetbob myself, which is a great all rounder and didn't cost me an arm and a leg to purchase and customise. Plenty bargains to be had if you troll gumtree and other similar sites . Harley's are cheap to maintain and pretty bullet proof in comparison to other brands and definitely built better than other brands of cruisers. Haters will say otherwise but most people that knock them have usually never owned one, never mind ridden one.

As with any bike, they all have their own uniqueness in the market place.

Offline Nodrog 74

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 09:20:09 pm »
Here's a pic of my Bob, blacked out and no longer stock by any means.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:23:11 pm by Nodrog 74 »

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 09:35:29 pm »
Stunning, and they even look better in real life!  :3some: :thumleft:

Offline Nodrog 74

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 09:49:31 pm »
Thanks TVB.

A contract will come your way and you will be able to fill your bucket list.

If you not stuck on buying new, you can get a decent deal and with low mileage. I do my own maintenance and customising which keeps the costs down , Harley's are easy enough to work on, just make sure you got a decent set of imperial sockets and spanners as well as a good set of Torx. Try import any aftermarket parts yourself, the local guys bump the prices big time.

Average oil change on my Harley costs me around R400.00 for oil, filter and plugs takes me 30 minutes  :ricky:
Straight forward oil change from the dealer on my explorer R 1350.00  :eek7:

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 10:06:59 pm »
This was my first Harley. Loved it and realized what all the fuss was about.

Then the missus wanted something a little more comfy ,so traded in the VRod on a 2009 Road King Classic. Took a lot of getting used to,but once you learnt ride it the wait is meant to be ridden,then it all makes sense.

If you really keen on a Harley,then seriously think about buying second hand. There are lots of bargains to be had,especially after summer..I bought my VRod privately for R105k,and 18 months later traded it in for the same price . Buying a new bike is cool,but huge savings to be had buying used.

Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
    • Harleyparts Online
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 07:19:28 am »
Tvb, I am not a big oke, 177cm & 80kg but I look fairly cramped up on my Sportster.
As mentioned by others, IMHO a Dyna is the way to go
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:19:54 am by Wild Hearted Son »
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991
http://www.harleyparts.online/ds/

Offline Lem

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 07:24:02 am »
I've dug up a few pics from demo days over the years

This was the 1st Harley I ever rode

A Softail Custom. The leaning back seating position & 21 inch front wheel did not work well for me. Felt a bit bumpy. I didn't enjoy this one very much. But somebody else might.

Offline Lem

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 07:30:45 am »
But after a chat about a fatter front wheel, floorboards & wide handlebars I got a ride on this:

Softail Fatboy Special in Denim Black.  :drif:

super comfortable and just so beautifully put together  :eek7:

Offline Lem

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 07:34:44 am »
Then, a few months later I asked if I could take Anmar out for breakfast on her birthday....

....on a Heritage Softail

little bit blingy for my taste, & had mini ape hanger type bars & quiet exhausts. It just didn't feel as alive as the Softail Fatboy Special. Made a few heads turn though.

Two years later I married this girl.

Offline Lem

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 07:41:59 am »
On the next Demo day I got hold of a monster

The seriously fast V-Rod Muscle.

probably the most heavy on fuel bike I can think of. probably due to my right wrist clinging on for dear life.

It is uncomfortable, it does not look like a Harley, sound like a Harley. It's not meant for cruising.  It's not meant for handling either.

But I forgive it for all it's faults, because it redlines @ 9500 rpm.

I love this bike