Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Harley Davidson - Share your photos and information/news here  (Read 22901 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
Re: Harley Davidson - Share your photos and information/news here
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2014, 08:25:00 pm »
Harley Davidson Cruisers ;D

I have never thought that there would come a day in my life where I would be a ‘converted fan’ of a cruiser and that a Harley Davidson! :3some:

However, as we all know some Wild Dogs own a broad range of bikes from commuters, cafe racers and even Cruisers.

It’s not for all a thing about age  :peepwall: . You will always hear people say; ‘I am not yet ready for a cruiser’
However, have you seen Harley’s of late? The Bobbers (883 and 1200’s)
They are just awesome cruisers and the quality is up there with the Italian market if not better in some cases  :deal: .

I was at Centurion Yamaha today and there was a 1200 Harley Davidson Bobber parked next to Yamaha’s very own ‘Bolt’ which is in direct competition.
Honestly – there is no comparison in fit and finish and overall quality. The Yamaha’s rough surfaces on the frame, triple clamps and even the ‘digital’ dash looked so inferior. The attention to detail on the Harley, it is like a piece of art....yes yes I would not mind one ok! :laughing4: :laughing4:

Who else own a Harley? Post some pictures and share some information please!

I guess this explains why Harleys are seen as very reliable, be careful for scratching on the surface and deciding based on this veneer.

Dan the only bike more reliable than my HD is my S10.

When last has the S10 been ridden?

A paving brick is also reliable...

:peepwall:

I have found a paving brick to wear down ridiculously quickly when dragged along a tar road.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2014, 08:29:18 pm »
The Yamaha Star mororcycles (including the new bolt) is actually a very nice line up compared to the other Jap manufacturers. We all know how popular the Suz intruder and Boulevard is but it is not really that 'old scool' cruizer we Harley fans are all about. Yes HD got that roadster (engine was developed by porche I have read) and one hell of a machine but to the majority of 'old school' cruizer fans we still like that retro old school look like Victory and Indian has achieved comming from the ever popular Polaris stall. Closest to all these American cruizers comes the Star line up and really woth a second look for someone that is not a die hard American Cruizer fan. For me HD has got the edge, that thunder of that Vtwin is unique and like mentioned the fit and finish is just near perfect. As soon (hope!) As I have landed another contract aboard (hope again) I will get my paws on a nice HD that's for sure!  :thumleft: My KLR will take me still on many adventures off road but the HD will do on the 'black roads' !

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2014, 10:34:30 pm »
Some pics of some bikes in our club over the years
The last one was our club ride to Breede bash 2011
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2014, 11:39:43 pm »
The Yamaha Star mororcycles (including the new bolt) is actually a very nice line up compared to the other Jap manufacturers. We all know how popular the Suz intruder and Boulevard is but it is not really that 'old scool' cruizer we Harley fans are all about. Yes HD got that roadster (engine was developed by porche I have read) and one hell of a machine but to the majority of 'old school' cruizer fans we still like that retro old school look like Victory and Indian has achieved comming from the ever popular Polaris stall. Closest to all these American cruizers comes the Star line up and really woth a second look for someone that is not a die hard American Cruizer fan. For me HD has got the edge, that thunder of that Vtwin is unique and like mentioned the fit and finish is just near perfect. As soon (hope!) As I have landed another contract aboard (hope again) I will get my paws on a nice HD that's for sure!  :thumleft: My KLR will take me still on many adventures off road but the HD will do on the 'black roads' !

The real advantage HD has over the Japs, is that it is the undisputed original. On HD's legends like Sonny Barger and crew made outlaw gangs notorious.
The fact that Japanese cruisers sometimes handle and brake better is a bit of a moot point on these machines anyway. One cannot escape the fact that the HD is the real deal and all others are copies.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2014, 05:48:19 am »
I agre 100 persent 'Whitedelight' , HD is the origional!  :thumleft:

There is something about that vtwin's sound as well, don't know how to describe but it is sort of an ofbeat sound which makes it even more unique.

Couple of nice bikes in that club, wow!

Offline Lem

« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2014, 03:20:56 pm »

The real advantage HD has over the Japs, is that it is the undisputed original. On HD's legends like Sonny Barger and crew made outlaw gangs notorious.
The fact that Japanese cruisers sometimes handle and brake better is a bit of a moot point on these machines anyway. One cannot escape the fact that the HD is the real deal and all others are copies.

+1

Couple this with the superbly marketed Harley lifestyle & the superior dealer service, and you can fully understand why they sell probably 10 to 1 a bike priced at roughly double the Jap competitor in class (except for Sportsters, they are actually well priced against the 750/900 class of Jap cruisers).

I am first to admit that a Boulevard or Yamaha Midnight Raider will be just as nice to ride, be twice as fast, will handle well with those superbike front forks and stop on a tee with those dual front disk brakes with 7 pot calipers.....but I'll still pay R 200 k plus for a Harley Road King at the drop of a hat....if I could.
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2014, 07:47:42 pm »

So far I've stayed out of this thread. That's because I made a new years resolution not to take the piss, and I've managed not to break it.
But now, this is different..........could Harley actually be trying to appeal to proper motorcyclists?
Conventional looking wheelbase and geometry, apparently decent suspension and brakes, footpegs and controls in the right place, looks as though it might be a reasonable weight, as far as most modern bikes weight can be considered reasonable. Just the fuel tank looks a bit weird, but that could be overcome.
Y'know what, I could almost relate to that.
                                                                     :3some:  :pot:
[/quote]

JB I seriously loath the whole showy image of 99% of HD' s with their stupid forward controls & tassels. But I do like some of their bikes, especially some of the more basic Sportsters which have not been altered to sport forward controls. I wonder if these riders realize that if something goes wrong and they are going down, there is but fckall chance to bail as you will not have any leverage to push yourself away from the bike because their feet is so far forward that they will just lie down with the bike

The Xr 1200 my favourite and 1200 sportster anniversary model
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:05:07 am by BennNevis »

Offline heinzz

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2014, 08:39:13 pm »
Mine with clothes and without.

Offline heinzz

« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2014, 08:42:43 pm »
with clothes.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:44:05 pm by heinzz »

Offline Mother

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2014, 09:33:54 pm »
I been spending a bit too much time riding my Harley's lately.....so much that i been neglecting my time on the forum....also went to the states again.....riding that place on a harley is something else i been privileged to do it three times.....shit man riding Harley's can also be addictive   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:37:14 pm by Mother »
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline Mother

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2014, 10:16:03 pm »
My most recent indulgence is this 2014 CVO Ultra Glide awesome ride cant wait for bike week

Offline Mother

« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2014, 10:18:43 pm »
Recent trip to Sabie

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2014, 10:38:16 pm »
Nice one Mother. Great to see you back on the forum and good to see you on the road today. :thumleft:
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Mother

« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2014, 07:40:39 am »
Nice one Mother. Great to see you back on the forum and good to see you on the road today. :thumleft:

:thumleft:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2014, 07:48:05 am »
 :drif: I like them all, thanks for posting! :thumleft:

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2014, 08:39:41 am »
My all time favourite  HD must be the XR 1200
It is not showy and goes really well without the normal HD problems in going around bends

So far I've stayed out of this thread. That's because I made a new years resolution not to take the piss, and I've managed not to break it.
But now, this is different..........could Harley actually be trying to appeal to proper motorcyclists?
Conventional looking wheelbase and geometry, apparently decent suspension and brakes, footpegs and controls in the right place, looks as though it might be a reasonable weight, as far as most modern bikes weight can be considered reasonable. Just the fuel tank looks a bit weird, but that could be overcome.

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2014, 10:02:45 am »
My all time favourite  HD must be the XR 1200
It is not showy and goes really well without the normal HD problems in going around bends

JB I seriously loath the whole showy image of 99% of HD' s with their stupid forward controls & tassels. But I do like some of their bikes, especially some of the more basic Sportsters which have not been altered to sport forward controls. I wonder if these riders realize that if something goes wrong and they are going down, there is but fckall chance to bail as you will not have any leverage to push yourself away from the bike because their feet is so far forward that they will just lie down with the bike

The Xr 1200 my favourite and 1200 sportster anniversary model

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2014, 10:53:31 am »
Ben I really like the HD models you have posted here, sure looks great. I must however say that I do not agree 100persent about 'if something goes wrong' with the feet forward riding style. Firstly as paramedic I haven't seen many cruizer bike accidents although a couple and remarebaly all of thos were on feet forward models! I recall 2 of them to be quite high speed (over 100km/h) accidents. However, because of the general low saddle and feet forward position all of these mentioned accidents were 'low side' impacts, almost like 'slip off unto the tar' and skid. Normally on almost any other tipe of bike riders go over the bars or over the side and 'hop skip and jump'! Not saying a cruizer is safer, but looking from a safety point of view they are loud, they are low, they are good looking to the general publick which makes them more awere and sort of 'allowing for some distance' if this makes sense?
We all know HD is not about speed, it is about cruizing along with a huge smile!

Offline Mother

« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2014, 05:22:14 pm »
I have a soft spot for the Bagger look with the big front wheel and some radical customising

Offline Mother

« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2014, 05:24:32 pm »
 I heard they will be launching a 500cc and 750cc soon aimed at a younger market....this is a whole debate on its own