Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Harley Davidson - Share your photos and information/news here  (Read 22892 times)

Offline Lem

Re: Harley Davidson - Share your photos and information/news here
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 07:45:59 am »
Then I took the Dyna Fatbob out for a ride

what a superb machine!

It's like an ice cold 500ml glass bottle of Coke, perfect for one.

I didn' t stop for any photo that day (so I got one off the internet), just wanted to keep on riding it. great handling, superb brakes. This is the one I would recommend to just about anyone.
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Lem

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 07:51:31 am »
And then, the last one I rode (have been saving since  :snorting:)

This is my dream touring bike.

It's just perfect for me & Anmar in every way.

The Road King. This one was still the 96 cubic inch model, but had Screamin Eagles on.

This was the 1st Harley I could confidently say I would ride Cape Town to Johannesburg on any day. It is THAT comfortable. 

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 07:52:02 am »
Then, a few months later I asked if I could take Anmar out for breakfast on her birthday....

....on a Heritage Softail

little bit blingy for my taste, & had mini ape hanger type bars & quiet exhausts. It just didn't feel as alive as the Softail Fatboy Special. Made a few heads turn though.

Two years later I married this girl.

You should have taken the bike... much cheaper and a lot less trouble in the long run  :imaposer:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR WÜRTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 07:53:25 am »
I miss my 1200Sportster...had a full Screaming Eagle performance conversion done on it with some other xtras (think harley's have more xtras than the Beemer 1200ADV). Sold it to make space for a small car for the wife.

My dream harley is the CVO Street glide.
If I am correct this is the standard street glide
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:54:58 am by Pavlovski »
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 07:54:48 am »
On my ride last Sunday stopped at a coffee shop and saw a Road King parked there. Asked the guy if I could sit on it.

Yip, its the one alright  :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Lem

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 07:57:21 am »
Then, a few months later I asked if I could take Anmar out for breakfast on her birthday....

....on a Heritage Softail

little bit blingy for my taste, & had mini ape hanger type bars & quiet exhausts. It just didn't feel as alive as the Softail Fatboy Special. Made a few heads turn though.

Two years later I married this girl.

You should have taken the bike... much cheaper and a lot less trouble in the long run  :imaposer:

:spitcoffee:

haha, Jup. You'll rethink that statement once you meet her. Hopefully when we do our long trip in June.  :thumleft:

Offline Lem

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 08:03:14 am »
I miss my 1200Sportster...had a full Screaming Eagle performance conversion done on it with some other xtras (think harley's have more xtras than the Beemer 1200ADV). Sold it to make space for a small car for the wife.

My dream harley is the CVO Street glide.
If I am correct this is the standard street glide

Yes Pavlovski, the CVO has dual headlights inside a fairing that is shaped on a downward angle. Looks MEAN! I see a lot of them on that Born to Ride show about Arlen Ness.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 08:42:37 am »
Thanks to everyone for the advise as I am just like mentioned 'converted' Harley Davidson' lover' :thumleft:

I would love to have a Fatbob Dyna in 'denim color'! Looks awesome and will definately when (not if  :peepwall: ) I land that contract start looking for low mialage second hand examples on Gum tree and OLX and maybe even ask you okes to keep an eye as well.

Life is to short to 'only dream', one got to have the true bread HD in your stable!
I was a fireman and medic for years and just took a change one day and said enough! I decided to change my life and start chasing dreams. As some of you may recall I've been all over the world, really done well as freelance medic till the unexpected divorce in 2012 which left me without a contract (it was ended due to 'risk of having as sad man onboard' lol ) Although only 45 already to 'old' for many contracts and the market is flooded with medics. I have however had good feedback on a UN contract as well as one in Southen Iraq on oil rigs. Both with waiting periods to start of 3-4 months.

Whatch this space and please keep on sharing/posting pictures and experiences!

Cheers :)

Offline Nodrog 74

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 08:54:41 am »
Good things come to Good People.

Add a trip through Death Valley and Sturgis Bike week in the States to that Bucket List of dreams, you won't be sorry.
A bad days ride is better than a good days work !

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 08:59:29 am »
Good things come to Good People.

Add a trip through Death Valley and Sturgis Bike week in the States to that Bucket List of dreams, you won't be sorry.

Have you done it? Please tell us more...photos? (Or a link?)

Offline Dirty Boy

• Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 09:06:04 am »
@ Offshore

Is this your property ? Im sure I saw a story about this garage but cant remember the outcome. Are the garage doors only half height or is that an optical illusion. Does the owner drive a Lotus Europa (the lowest car I can think of) ?

Or was the builder drunk ?

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 09:20:45 am »
I was fortunate to visit the HD factory at York Pennsylvania in 2008.  Was awesome to see their attention to detail.  Takes up to 12 days to paint a custom Harley petrol tank.  If the smallest paint blister is found on the completed tank, the whole job is redone.  Everything is pretty much hand assembled.

I never owned a Harley but used to rent them two or three times a year and me and wifey would go touring somewhere for a couple of days.  Used to get the Electra Glide.  Now considering the bike weighing 345kg, adding me and wife and luggage, you end up with a rig of over half a ton going up and down the lowveld mountain passes.  Was still one of our greatest biking experiences.  One could really ride the whole day in that saddle with no aches or pains.  Also the only bike my wife would often fall asleep at the back.     
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:44:04 am by Sylvester »
If force does not help, you are not using enough...

Online Offshore

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 09:25:31 am »
@ Offshore

Is this your property ? Im sure I saw a story about this garage but cant remember the outcome. Are the garage doors only half height or is that an optical illusion. Does the owner drive a Lotus Europa (the lowest car I can think of) ?

I saw that Garage on "Photos that make you think WTF" and recognised it. It is in Island View in Mosselbay, so on one of my trips I stopped there to take this Photo. Last Month I saw that he has started to fix it. The Property is built on one hell of a incline and I think when he was finished he saw that you cant reverse out of the Garage and just filled the Driveway with Soil. :eek7:

Offline Dirty Boy

• Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 09:29:00 am »
@ Offshore

I saw that Garage on "Photos that make you think WTF" and recognised it. It is in Island View in Mosselbay, so on one of my trips I stopped there to take this Photo. Last Month I saw that he has started to fix it. The Property is built on one hell of a incline and I think when he was finished he saw that you cant reverse out of the Garage and just filled the Driveway with Soil. :eek7:

:thumleft:  Thanks, I guess he is now going to have to raise the roof (and floor)to get full height garage doors in there. Surely those original plans were never done by an architect or passed by the planning dept ?

What an expensive oops.

Offline blainec

• Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 09:32:26 am »
I have been riding Bmw GS models since 1991 and have owned 16 of them and currently own a new LC GS as well the original first 1982 R80GS. They can do what I like doing dirt touring.

I have always liked Harley's and promised myself that when I can afford to own two bikes I would buy a Harley. Long story short in 2006 I bought a brand new Dyna wide glide and have since owned 4 Harley's.

My favorite is the Fatboy and I am on my third one. I have the 103 cubic inch (1680cc) 2013 model with the screaming eagle conversion. Man I love this bike.

Despite all the negativity around Haley's and Harley owners it is all bullshit , these are fantastic machines designed to look cool sound awesome and make great boulevard cruisers and are really comfortable tourers.

I find that I ride at slower speeds around 130/140 see more smell more and just relax more. For me my Harley is therapeutic  when I am stressed or angry I take the Harley out for a ride and come back a new man.

Those of us who are fortunate to own one will understans what I mean.

For those of you that are secretly curious but worry about what your mates will say go and test ride one and all will be revealed .

My mates are always taking the piss out of me , but are quick to acknowledge it is a good looking bike.

I love motorcycles and do not care what you ride as long as you ride and are having fun.

My 10 cents worth.

I will try and post a picture over the weekend.
I am not here for a long time , I am here for a good time !

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS
Harley Fatboy ( yeah I Know !)

Offline manta

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Reborn on the forum as Manta
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 09:45:14 am »
I know we are talking Harley but this is a genuine question for those in the know.

How do Victory cycles compare with the Harleys? I have read a lot of reviews where they are compared and the consensus seems to be that the Victory's are awesome. Personally I do not know enough about either brand to comment but would be interested to get some info from people that know.

Thanks
M

Offline Lem

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:35 am »
I know we are talking Harley but this is a genuine question for those in the know.

How do Victory cycles compare with the Harleys? I have read a lot of reviews where they are compared and the consensus seems to be that the Victory's are awesome. Personally I do not know enough about either brand to comment but would be interested to get some info from people that know.

Thanks
M

Victory are building really good bikes. They target a bit of a different market, though. They focus more on a muscle bike vibe, and their bikes are much more technologically advanced. Seeing as they come from the company Polaris, famous for jetski's & snowmobiles, they have a bit of a more sporty flavour.

So you still get the whole american cruiser thing, but with the emphasis on more sports, where as Harley's are still marketed with the whole romantic "riding into the sunset vibe"

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 09:59:01 am »
I have been riding Bmw GS models since 1991 and have owned 16 of them and currently own a new LC GS as well the original first 1982 R80GS. They can do what I like doing dirt touring.

I have always liked Harley's and promised myself that when I can afford to own two bikes I would buy a Harley. Long story short in 2006 I bought a brand new Dyna wide glide and have since owned 4 Harley's.

My favorite is the Fatboy and I am on my third one. I have the 103 cubic inch (1680cc) 2013 model with the screaming eagle conversion. Man I love this bike.

Despite all the negativity around Haley's and Harley owners it is all bullshit , these are fantastic machines designed to look cool sound awesome and make great boulevard cruisers and are really comfortable tourers.

I find that I ride at slower speeds around 130/140 see more smell more and just relax more. For me my Harley is therapeutic  when I am stressed or angry I take the Harley out for a ride and come back a new man.

Those of us who are fortunate to own one will understans what I mean.

For those of you that are secretly curious but worry about what your mates will say go and test ride one and all will be revealed .

My mates are always taking the piss out of me , but are quick to acknowledge it is a good looking bike.

I love motorcycles and do not care what you ride as long as you ride and are having fun.

My 10 cents worth.

I will try and post a picture over the weekend.

Well put.

Love the Harley but dislike the rider (In larger groups). The latter being discussed to pieces in other threads.
I'd love to own one one day.

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 10:03:04 am »

Thanks
M

Victory are building really good bikes. They target a bit of a different market, though. They focus more on a muscle bike vibe, and their bikes are much more technologically advanced. Seeing as they come from the company Polaris, famous for jetski's & snowmobiles, they have a bit of a more sporty flavour.

So you still get the whole american cruiser thing, but with the emphasis on more sports, where as Harley's are still marketed with the whole romantic "riding into the sunset vibe"

For me a HD is an authentic machine.
Victories and the like are produced by other brands trying to gain profits from a market segment created by HD.

My2c anyway...

Offline Lem

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05:30 am »

Thanks
M

For me a HD is an authentic machine.
Victories and the like are produced by other brands trying to gain profits from a market segment created by HD.

My2c anyway...

I agree....

but I won't mind a Victory Hammer S in my garage

next to a Harley Road King and, off course, an Indian Chief.