Advice for new rider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franky3

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi. I am a newbie when it comes to the world of bikes. At the moment I am doing research on bikes to get a target I can put for my self. In about tree months I would really want to be going on about my new bike and how much I love it. At this stage I only have the bikes in my dreams.

I drove a scooter for a few years so not totally clueless but I dont thing it can be compaired. I would like to know about a few entry level good value for money bikes. Any ideas and advice welcome.

I spoke to a friend of mine and he told me go with a honda dual sport because they last for ever. So I did some research and found the crf 250l. That sounded like an ideal bike. My problem is a new one is expensive and second hand is hard to find and mostly up in joburg (I am in cape town). Then a Lady on the site sent me a link to a bike she is selling, a aprilia pegaso 660 trail. At first I thought it would be way to much bike for me but after some research I am much more comfortable with the idea.

I would like to get advice from any one and every one on what would be a good bike to start off with. What I would like in the bike is as follows: I will be using it for day to day commuting to work and back and then the every now and then getting away(most likely far away) and even the of chance of going offroad. I dont want to go fast but would like to be able to do atleast 120kph. I want some thing in the price range of up to 50k and will need to be able to get financing as I dont have stacks of cash. I am very new to al this an most of the technical turms go right over my head so please try and keep it simple.

Thank you very much. I will be awaiting your responce.

Pardon my english as I were born Afrikaans.