Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice for new rider  (Read 2348 times)

Online Franky3

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Advice for new rider
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:38:26 pm »
Hi. I am a newbie when it comes to the world of bikes. At the moment I am doing research on bikes to get a target I can put for my self. In about tree months I would really want to be going on about my new bike and how much I love it. At this stage I only have the bikes in my dreams.

I drove a scooter for a few years so not totally clueless but I dont thing it can be compaired. I would like to know about a few entry level good value for money bikes. Any ideas and advice welcome.

I spoke to a friend of mine and he told me go with a honda dual sport because they last for ever. So I did some research and found the crf 250l. That sounded like an ideal bike. My problem is a new one is expensive and second hand is hard to find and mostly up in joburg (I am in cape town). Then a Lady on the site sent me a link to a bike she is selling, a aprilia pegaso 660 trail. At first I thought it would be way to much bike for me but after some research I am much more comfortable with the idea.

I would like to get advice from any one and every one on what would be a good bike to start off with. What I would like in the bike is as follows: I will be using it for day to day commuting to work and back and then the every now and then getting away(most likely far away) and even the of chance of going offroad. I dont want to go fast but would like to be able to do atleast 120kph. I want some thing in the price range of up to 50k and will need to be able to get financing as I dont have stacks of cash. I am very new to al this an most of the technical turms go right over my head so please try and keep it simple.

Thank you very much. I will be awaiting your responce.

Pardon my english as I were born Afrikaans.

Offline Teapot

• "Ride long Live forever"
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • "RIDE LONG AND LIVE FOREVER"
    • http://www.digitalrealitydesigns.yolasite.com
Re: Advice for new rider
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:47:45 pm »
Howzit Frankie3 welcome to mad dog house.
Best advice- go out and test bikes before you buy and also the best for your needs and purposes. Don't listen to all the advice but that which you feel after testing a bike. Don't rush it either. Your first real big bike will be you first love. Advice for a nebie who wants to do adventure riding and you want to hit the no so travelled parts then invest in going for lessons at a good adventure training academy and tits is your friend haha. (Time in the saddle) ;)

Enjoy dude.
"FALL DOWN 7, STAND UP 8."
"NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SAY DIE!"

Online mox

• Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:00:24 pm »
Hey Mnr, depends on how much highway travelling you will be doing. Small bikes can manage on back roads and most gravel(in fact pretty much all gravel an mud) but if you are commuting on Gauteng roads look for something slightly bigger and take your time to get to know the bike and yourself. Twist of right wrist and your brain are your control, the rest is up to your awareness of the chops on the road. Oh and welcome Mnr !

edit: have enough in the motor to counter traffic in the slow lane  :ricky:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:36:00 pm by mox »
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Online Franky3

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:08:00 pm »
The problem is that I can test drive 100 bikes and each one will be the best thing I have ever had. For the moment I just want to get into it. Its not like I am going to do a cross country trip in the first month. I want to start of slow and start of right. Thanks for your input teapot.

Mox, I dont mind travelling back roads with a bike but in a car its not nice. I want to get some thing reliable and easy to ride so that I can get to know my self without spending time in the hospital.

Offline snortjoppie

• My sexy Italian! Ciao Bella!
  • My dream Italian....
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:10:27 pm »
Hey Franky,

luister ou kwagga, hier gaan jy baie stories hoor en baie advice kry. Die honne weet waarvan hul praat  :patch: en sommige van hulle laaik net
baie kak praat.  >:D

Soos Teapot se, gaan ry eers so paar fietse. Kyk wat by jou pas en hoe gemaklik jy op hul voel. Daarna is dit eenvoudig, koop die deng en ry!  :3some:

Hoe meer jy ry, hoe lekkerder word dit en hoe meer gemakliker raak jy.
Vir daai R50000 budget sal jy op die site genoeg rygoed vind.
Vra maar vir honne om skenkings te gee vir kit - die ouens is baie vrygewig, vra maar rond. Hier help almal mekaar!
Daar is ook oorgenoeg bike in die Kaap te vinde!

Vra vir advice as jy nie seker is nie - almal sal weereens help!

Voorspoed en WELKOM!!!

:thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:14:41 pm by snortjoppie »
Mishke, my beautiful daughter - I love you always & forever!
Francois.Welgemoed@Gmail.com
082 92 6465 8
Previously owned: 2007 BMW GSA....

Offline snortjoppie

• My dream Italian....
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:14:14 pm »
The problem is that I can test drive 100 bikes and each one will be the best thing I have ever had. For the moment I just want to get into it. Its not like I am going to do a cross country trip in the first month. I want to start of slow and start of right. Thanks for your input teapot.

Mox, I dont mind travelling back roads with a bike but in a car its not nice. I want to get some thing reliable and easy to ride so that I can get to know my self without spending time in the hospital.

Franky - moenie die saak te erg oordink nie - jy gaan jouself net opfok en nie weet wat jy wil he nie. Test ride en dan koop!
Pros en cons op papier en kyk watter een jy die beste geniet het en daarna watter een jy kan bekostig!

I want to start of slow and start of right. - test ride boeta, only way! :thumleft:

082 92 6465 8

Online Franky3

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:19:34 pm »
Hahaha. Ek het gehoop vir bikie meer spesifieke raad maar daai sal doen. Kan ek dan net in n rigting gewys word, soos byvoorbeeld n paar tiepe bikes. Op google searches gooi hulle in elk geval vir jou enige iets net naastenby related uit so dit sal n groot hulp wees.

Offline snortjoppie

• My dream Italian....
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:15 pm »
ok,is jy n vetgat soos ek, of maer?
wanna laas het jy gery?
082 92 6465 8

Online Franky3

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 10:30:46 pm »
Ek sal se eks midelmatig. Ek weeg so amper 80kg. Ek het 3jaar laas gery en toe was dit n 150 vuka scooter(grootste gemors onder die son in my oe).

Offline Teapot

• "Ride long Live forever"
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • "RIDE LONG AND LIVE FOREVER"
    • http://www.digitalrealitydesigns.yolasite.com
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 10:32:58 pm »
Just one more tip. Your bike and you will find each other. You will test some bikes then you'll get on that special one and will just feel right and you'll feel it and know it. 50k is a quite a nice a decent budget for a great bike.
"FALL DOWN 7, STAND UP 8."
"NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SAY DIE!"

Offline snortjoppie

• My dream Italian....
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 10:35:09 pm »
Ek sal se eks midelmatig. Ek weeg so amper 80kg. Ek het 3jaar laas gery en toe was dit n 150 vuka scooter(grootste gemors onder die son in my oe).

ok - so wat van 650BMW, Dakar, F800gs, Klr 650 ens?
klein genoeg om mee te begin en kan altyd upgrade na groter bikes toe later  
Die ander mag dalk miskien te groot wees vir jou.... ???

KTM moer mooi na baie duur, alhoewel ek hul ook baie laaik
082 92 6465 8

Offline snortjoppie

• My dream Italian....
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:15 pm »
Just one more tip. Your bike and you will find each other. You will test some bikes then you'll get on that special one and will just feel right and you'll feel it and know it. 50k is a quite a nice a decent budget for a great bike.

agreed! Teapot, why not give the lad some info on the F800 you got  ???
he might appreciate that :thumleft:
082 92 6465 8

Online mox

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 10:38:05 pm »
 :thumleft: so true Mnr

Offline Jondu

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 10:38:21 pm »
Begin by 650's en werk dan op. Vat net jou tyd met die besluit. Daar is te veel bikes om van te kies. Kyk na als wat jy kan kry in elke groep. Ons ry KLR en Bmw 1200 gs. En dit is beide reg.
Welkom by die forum.

Online Franky3

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 10:50:17 pm »
Thanks for all the input. Just a comment,50k is as high as I can go and thats being optimistic. I will start my research in the right direction. Thank you guys.

Offline snortjoppie

• My dream Italian....
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 10:53:55 pm »
 :thumleft:
082 92 6465 8

Online mox

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 11:07:18 pm »
Okay seriously, you dont want a big powerful bike bit you need something reasonable that you can handle. 650 class.(make up to you . Search through the forum) Easy to ride, they all give you enough oomph on the highway to be able to travel highway speeds safely. You dont want a scoot that can only manage 120 max middle lane and trying to match traffic speeds. It's down right dangerous. As my pappy always said to me, have a vehicle that you can ride with in your limits but make sure if need be it can get you out of kak. With 50k you have a good scope of bikes. Keep your eye on the forum. Some fantastic bikes have been around lately !

Online Franky3

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 05:54:34 am »
Thank you mox. You are 100% right I dont want a big monster of a bike. Before I thought that a 650 would be to big for me but I hear they are quite easy to handle. I will keep an eye on the forum, still need to figure out exactly how it works on here. I love it allready. Thanks to every one.

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 08:16:14 am »
In that price range, simple.....KLR, XRL or DR 650 - all very versatile,very reliable and tick all your requirements!!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Yefimovich˛

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R1200RT
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 08:38:42 am »
Dont fall into the "let me buy a small bike to start with" trap, you'll have it about a month before looking to replace it.

In my case I just kept it  :thumleft:
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards