Round Lesotho from KZN.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpine Al

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Thought I'd just share a few highlights of the trip. No kilometers,  road numbers etc. There are a number of roads to take  you around the "Mountain Kingdom", including some scenic dirt alternative detours which offer more riding but also a better DS experience (my opinion).
We left late morning last Friday from my place near Estcourt. 3 bikes with 5 people who've ridden a lot together, we were to join up with a group of GS riders from Durban for increased "fellowship" at the overnight stops.
Before we knew it we were on top of Oliviers Hoek pass and zigzaging on the stuffed road where a BBBEEEE contractor took a large advance draw after just starting the rehabilitation project and "retired to the hills". We cruised through Golden Gate, relishing the corners as we always do. (just as well because later our fearless leader from Durban would put a stop to that). Once in Clarens we met for lunch with local friends at the Highlander and went on to our overnight stop. We booked in, unloaded and left to visit ex Durban friends Kobie and Sylvia Van der Linda who recently took over the running of Union House and Destiny Castle, only about 10 km away.
Union house is where the Brits and Boers signed an important peace treaty, lots of history for those interested. The guest house has been furnished with period furniture throughout and looks very comfy.

DESTINY CASTLE IS A MINDBLOWER! !
Kobie asked us if we'd like to see the castle which is 7 km away, on top of a mountain, on the same farm. It was started many years ago by someone else but never finnished until present owner Mike Fogg, of motorcycle racing fame, completed it. Aparently over 7000 pieces of rock were cut out of another spot on the farm and transported up a rough zigzag pass to the top, then came all the rest. We were expecting something like one of the European "keep" type of castle, something quite rough. The sky was threatening to ensure that we had limmited time up there so Kobie suggested we move fast. The other pillion couple declined, it was afternoon sleep time and sounded far too strenuous.
Kobie wore a khaki shirt, short boots and "a short pant", a few weeks in the "states" and he'd forgotten about atgat! Granted, he has his own expensive padding and he was on a little 230cc. I went ahead of Dave as I didnt know we had to negotiate a wet vlei with muddied streams and pools. The first real pool was deceptive so halfway through Dave almost went down with his bike, he managed to keep the 1200 from lying in the water, gathered his wits and we proceeded. Next was the pass to the top which has had almost zero maintenance for about 3 years. The beauty of the rock overhangs and wonder of the effort it mast have taken to build was far from my mind as I concentrated on finding the best lines to cross the steep, slipery rock surfaces and then steep, switch backs with loose rock. Angela was, of course, hanging onto my jacket to stay on and I had to grip like hell to stey on too. Once at the top we discovered an 800m landing strip on the way to the castle which has been "in mothballs" for three years. The entertainment areas, bedrooms, spa room, balconys, chapel etc are still beautifuly furnished and the entire place mindblowing. It will be open for bookings again soon and prommises to be one of South Africa's unique and sought after destinations.
We just couldnt get to see everything though as the rain was now sweeping in from the Malutis and we had to get off the mountain. It must have looked like a bank robbery, we were kitted, on the bikes and gone in a flash. Upon arriving at our hotel in Fouriesberg Dave said it was the most awesome riding he's ever done, the challenge was so worth the reward.

More to come, here are some pics: