Amageza GPS: Why, what, where?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camelman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Amageza GPS: Why, what, where?

I receive quite a number of enquiries regarding GPS's. This will hopefully clarify some issues for guys doing a rally-build for the Amageza.

Why do you need a GPS:
  • The road-book has a CAP heading for each new direction you need to take. The direction is true and represents the first 100m of your track just after your turn. This needs to be a three digit digital read-out in degrees TRUE.
  • We give you some way-points marked as such in the road-book. This is mostly critical way-points when in a very remote area, or every 50-100 km. These are visible way-points and can be programmed into your unit the evening before, after you have received your road-book. If totally lost, at least you have somewhere to find your way too where you can restart your navigation on the road-book.
  • We use your GPS track and, using our own custom software, can mark it using the road-book as template. The software picks up all missed waypoints, speeding and full-stop violations. It scores every rider, allocates penalties and gives a printout to the reviewer. As far as I know, ours is the only software of its kind in the world.

Your GPS can lead to the end of your race. Do not spend a R150k on your bike and R2k on your Nav setup. This is a NAVIGATIONAL RALLY. No navigation, no rally, comprendo?

What GPS is the best for the job:
Since the Amageza Rallye's inception in 2011, we have been using the GPS. What you should look for:

• At least IP67 rated. Totally protected against dust and protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m
  • No touch screen. Some work with gloves, some not. Most don't work to well when wet.
  • Handheld with big-ass buttons you can work with gloves.
  • Customisable screen layout. So you can set your display to read what you deem important.
  • Robust power source. USB does a extremely crap job of delivering power. It was not meant for this job. It will get wet, moved, shaken and possibly stirred.
  • Car GPS's like the Nuvi, etc WILL NOT WORK. Let it be, give up, its a crap GPS. We absolutely detest, hate and seek to destroy such GPS units.

I have used four different models and here is my review and the suitability of each for the Amageza. Please take into account that for each Amageza since 2011, I have done the complete route at least 3 to 5 times every year with the relevant GPS unit reviewed.

• 2011: Garmin eTrex (Yellow): This unit is indestructible, trust me. It works perfectly but with one fatal flaw which makes it unsuitable for the current Amageza Rallye: It uses a serial port to download its track to a PC. No PC's even have a serial port any more so one needs a SERIAL-USB converter to communicate. This means issues with driver installs, etc.
    etrex_1_lg.jpg
    no5fg.png

• 2012: eTrex GPSMap 62S: Great unit for all purposes. Good: Very robust, big-ass memory, colour display, custom maps, etc. Bad: It has too much functionality as a pure rally GPS, and the Power by USB moves around, so you may loose power and track when you least expect it. Although you can insert 2 x AA batteries, these adds to the weight of the unit.
    Garmin-GPSMap-62S-Worldwide.jpg
    yes.png

• 2013: eTrex 10: Great unit to rally with. Good: Small, light, and runs a considerable time on 2 x AA batteries. Bad: Power by USB moves around, looses power and can switch off, or go into standby mode unexpectedly if cable power is lost.
    753759989965_2_zoom.jpg
    yes.png

• 2014: Trial-tech Voyager: I have been testing this for the past month on my project bike. It is a replacement clock system for a bike with Speed from the wheel, RPM, Engine Temp, etc. It also has a GPS with a custom interface where you can set up Speed, Heading(Called Bearing on the unit), and four other fields of your choosing. It exports its tracks to a very simple removable Micro SD card. It comes with a handle-bar mount, which is where I placed it. In my opinion I have reduced my instrument clutter with 25%.
    computer1.jpg
    yes.png

voyager.png

Where to mount:
I recommend the center of the handlebar, why?
  • During testing of the road-book for Amageza 2011, the mounting failed of the eTrex yellow, it went flying. This happened a total of 5 times. GPS is still working.
    • During testing the road-book for Amageza 2012, I hit a ditch so hard my helmet peak hit the eTrex 10 mounted eye-level and cracked the screen. I lost the usage of that GPS and had to continue with my backup.
    • The Dakar mounts the ERTF, which is just a fancy GPS, on the handle-bar. They have been doing this for decades, so if it works for them, it'll work for us!

Where to purchase:
    For Garmin, I buy at Global Marine Systems https://www.globalmarine.co.za/ in Cape Town. For Jo'burg try Bandit GPS. Its owned by Darryl Curtis.
    For Trail-tech, search and conquer. Google is your friend. I bought from motosport.com: https://www.motosport.com/

My set-up for testing the road-book for the 2014 Amageza. (Not yet mounted, as I'm busy moving it from the 690 to the 450).

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 616