Michelle's first ever SA Touring/Dirt experience! (RR Completed)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
DAY - 1

On Tuesday morning the 18th March – I collected our friend Michelle from her mum’s home in Tableview to collect her BMW F700GS from Cape Bike Travel in town, for her 1st EVER bike trip/ride in South Africa.

As previously mentioned on the forums – Michelle’s an accomplished UK rider that commuted in London (something even the most experienced riders would avoid) – however she’s never ridden a DS-Bike before, never done long-distance touring ..... with a pillion..... and NEVER done Dirt riding before.

So whilst in the UK, I already started grooming Michelle about the joys and pleasures involved with riding on dirt. After her accident (where a cager hit her from behind at a Zebra-crossing) – I still tried to convince her to replace her road-orientated scoot with a DS-Bike...... but fortunately she did not replace her bike with the Insurance money ... yet!

So to our surprise, we received a message that she had booked her flight to SA and was asking about DS-Bike rentals and whether I could do a basic route plan for her and maybe ride together for a few days. I jumped at the chance and contacted Joerg & Ruan to arrange a deal for her. Bike was booked and paid for and we started planning a basic ride that would be easy enough for her to tackle as well as including a taster of the benefits and beauty of the Cape riding area.

THE ONLY CONCERN was that Michelle in her wisdom, invited her 21yr-old nephew to join us on the trip as her pillion.........  ???

for someone that had never ridden dirt, about to learn to ride a new bike......  phew..... we were concerned indeed and threw some hints to try to get her to change her mind! Needless to say – we had no luck!  :eek7:

Michelle was super-excited to say the least when I collected her from her home – all kitted out to collect her bike.

FIRST stop was the Tableview seafront for that “post-card” pic........... the one we hope ends up on her UK Facebook page!

............ and of course, since I belong to the UK’s BikeSafe (run by the MET Police) – I could not resist a pose with one of our London vests........

We then rode through to town where we did all the necessary paperwork for the bike.
Michelle had a case of butterflies and felt that the GS was far bigger than what she was used to, BUT that maybe it was not big enough to carry the two of them....?  :peepwall:

Eish – no way would she be able to handle a 1200GS........ so we just flummux’d THAT idea........

After all the formalities was done – it was time to get acquainted with the bike and to get her leg over....

............. and off we went with the first actual stop (for more scenery pics) on the Signal Hill drive. This was also perfect to do a few manoeuvres to see whether she could handle it – close enough to the Rental company if we needed anything.

I think the smile’s starting to say it all....

Next we headed for the Llundudno area with the aim to eventually end up in Simonstown for lunch.

Girls LOVE shopping..............  and Michelle spotted the Curio-stalls along the route... but overshot the parking area, which gave me a chance to stop and get the camera going!

FIRST DIRT then ....  looking good!

View shot... hell you have to run with the timer going off.....

Next stop was the beachfront area in Houtbay.
Thankfully the wind ensured that a lot of the sand had blown onto the road area... which provided a nice backdrop.

Chapman’s Peak is always an absolute pleasure to ride and one has to be careful to concentrate on the road, rather than the view as a few of the bends can catch you out really quickly (as Michelle found out.....)

Michelle wondering why she’s not done this before....

Aiming the mik-‘n-druk over my shoulder is nogal an art.....

Noordhoek Beach with Kommetjie in the distance......

Nerves and riding makes one build up a good appetite and it was not minutes later that Michelle needed sustenance ....... Noordhoek Farm Stall was around the corner and their food is always delicious.

Ladies and their salads......

Biker-chick eating.................  nothing lady-like here..........

............. what’s this green stuff............?

Food done & dusted – time to hit the road.

Riding down towards Scarborough............

Fortunately I own a WILDCARD ............ what a pleasure and as it’s a “Couple’s-card”  I managed to get M into the Cape Point Reserve for free!

Looking towards Smitswinkel.............  we stopped for a pic or two and was also rewarded with one of the locals posing...

We decided that a visit to the Cape of Good Hope was definitely a must..............

.................. to join the tourists!

Lovely being a tourist in your own country!

Next we changed plans and headed towards Buffels Bay.....

...... where we found more locals...........

With this perfect ............. Peek................

............. a – Boo being done by one of the youngsters

.... someone’s enjoying the ride............

Sea Fisheries Inspector on duty.................

Time was moving on, so we headed to Simonstown and decided to cut across Ou Kaapse Weg back to town so that we’d have time to discuss the upcoming trip.

Arriving home after 1st day.......... Michelle super chuffed with herself and very excited!

Perfect sunset ending a perfect day.........

Unfortunately our planned “Training Day” on the Wednesday was cancelled due to rain – none of us felt like spending the day in mud.. so the decision was made to “wing-it” on the trip that started on the Thursday........

Day 3 to follow.........