Breakfast in Vaalwater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avon

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
maybe an appropriate time to post an all tar report? ;)

We were scheduled to meet around 05h30 at our local Engen on the R21 just out of Kempton Park. We waited a few minutes for my old pal Carl to arrive on his Blade.
DSC_6853.JPG

Nothing beats the smell of the clean early morning air. Carlâ??s Blade, my son and his wife on the Suzuki DL650 and my wife standing next to my RT.
DSC_6854.JPG

We beat the traffic past Pretoria up to the Doggie Restaurant at the Petroport outside Pretoria for our first smoke break.
DSC_6857.JPG

We then contributed to the pothole fund at the toll gates before turning off at Pienaarsrivier. Past Warmbaths we had a bit of fun in the twisties till we reached Nylstroom where we stopped briefly. We then rode at a slower pace to admire the scenery as Carl was not familiar with the road. We reached Vaalwater at around 08:30 and had breakfast at the Big 5 restaurant. Not as good as the last time and I also missed the friendly waitress.

I then tried my hand at one of those slow shutter moving shots, but you need taller vegetation right up to the edge of the tar to better illustrate the effect.
DSC_6871.JPG

On towards Melkrivier past all those lovely game farms turning right towards Potgietersrus, you go through one of the best kept biker secrets in the northern Transvaal. The name of the around 6 kilometre pass is simply Kloof, opened by M.E.C S.J Schoeman in July 1988. Here we practised cornering technique and doing U-turns for at least an hour. No more than three vehicles disturbed our relaxed session.

Here we have Carl on his Blade being chased up the kloof by my son on the Vstrom.
DSC_6899.JPG

Keeping his head up whilst watching the exit and hugging the white line â?? not bad for an old toppie.
DSC_6903.JPG

My son on the Vstrom.
DSC_6911.JPG

What can I say? Like my father used to say â??duidelik in â??n anner klasâ?. Dad, if you can hear me, there is no shame in being poor, thanx for teaching me that. It served me well whilst still trying to find a better life for me and my kids. Damn he would have been so proud of me, yet he never lived long enough to see the day.
DSC_6914.JPG

Waiting for the cows to cross in the little shade we could find in the 32 degrees heat. Just look at the stunning rock-formations in the background.
DSC_6918.JPG

Back again at the Petroport.
DSC_6925.JPG

DSC_6927.JPG

640 kilometres later we returned home safely around 17h00 in the afternoon. I think I have a new riding partner, on a Blade nogal. I take my hat off to the man for sticking it out with us on his first long trip. Carl, hope to see you on the road again sometime soon.