Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GS Adventures Open day - from the Horse's mouth  (Read 1362 times)

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
GS Adventures Open day - from the Horse's mouth
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:22:32 pm »
So yesterday was the first of many open days on Darrel's farm called Danielsrust.  It's a family game farm close to the Sterkfontein caves.  I've left Centurion @ 07:00 to meet the rest of the group under the Rooihuiskraal bridge (as I called it :-[) Everyone understood my directions except Leo who waited under the correct bridge, as  my directions were actually for the Old Jhb rd bridge - SORRY LEO for keeping you waiting!  :-[

Waiting for me was Kykdaar, and  :-[ I can't remember the other names  :-[, and off we went on the N14 towards Krugersdorp.  Ama was waiting patiently on the Lanseria bridge for us. Once we were all together (18 of us!) we proceeded to Wickers. All on tar :-[

Let's start with Wickers.  The last time I was there it was a real nice place, good service & food, with plenty of bikers. This time... It was bad.  Service poor, food portions small, it was just not up there!! All the tables had their food except Leo's table. We were ready to go, and yet Leo & co were still waiting for their food. I cracked myself when Leo called their waiter "Biltong, waar's ons kos? Dit was snaaks gewees, maar nou is dit nie meer fokken snaaks nie." You should have seen the poor laitie's face!  ;D But their food was promptly served.

From Magalies Leo took us on a nice dirt road towards the farm.  On this road someone forgot the golden rule and did not wait for the guy behind and soon there were 6 bikes lost  :o As I was riding sweeper, I knew the road and direction, so no harm done. When we arrived on the farm the rest were waiting for us, Coke in the hand.

The game drive on the farm was awesome.  Darrel thought that about 30 people would pitch, but what a surprise!!! I recon about 100 people went through the farm yesterday.  There is a nice camping spot with hot water, flush toilets for the "not-so-manly" and a big buma where one can braai, pitch a tent and relax.  Watch the "Planning a Trip" section for a WD 1-night stand on the farm!!!

What a great day, and thanks for all that pitched.  I know Darrel is keen on becoming a site sponsor as well, and he will get into contact with Michnus. I say let's support him, as with all our site sponsors!!

PS: here's the link to some pictures. Thanks Superjuice. 
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=14779.0

;)

Offline Excalibur

Re: GS Adventures Open day - from the Horse's mouth
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:35:21 pm »
Perd, lekker om weer saam met jou te ry. Agree, nice spot for a "one night stand"  ;)

Offline SuperJuice

• I R POZER (with no fooking bike)
  • Bike: New Hudson (all models)
  • His Eminence & Founder of Boobism
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:38:03 pm »
Perd, lekker om jou weer te ry. Agree, nice spot for a "one night stand"  ;)

Fixed.  >:D
At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry.

JohnST

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 05:43:34 pm »
Yeh for me it was nice!! I'll definately go back, nice relaxed ride/game drive. Awesome wildlife!
Beautiful farm! Met Kykdaar, Staalburber and Blazes there. Met some new KTM riders, main reason because one of there bikes fell on mine! He lost a mirror, mine was 100%.   Sjoe....got a skrik!

Has some nice fotos of the game will post later.

Must say on my way there, I went through Backroads past Lanseria, saw a guy on a KTM 990 (orange) looked like he was lost, so I stopped to ask if he was perhaps going the same place I was going? Refused to greet me and was extremely f_cking rude! If you on this forum, YOU the type of guy that makes owning a KTM getting yourself earmarked as "think you are better then the rest"!! Don't apretiate the attitude!!

Other then that the farm was awesome!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:44:31 pm by JohnST »

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:13:37 pm »
Yeh for me it was nice!! I'll definately go back, nice relaxed ride/game drive. Awesome wildlife!
Beautiful farm! Met Kykdaar, Staalburber and Blazes there. Met some new KTM riders, main reason because one of there bikes fell on mine! He lost a mirror, mine was 100%.   Sjoe....got a skrik!

Has some nice fotos of the game will post later.

Must say on my way there, I went through Backroads past Lanseria, saw a guy on a KTM 990 (orange) looked like he was lost, so I stopped to ask if he was perhaps going the same place I was going? Refused to greet me and was extremely f_cking rude! If you on this forum, YOU the type of guy that makes owning a KTM getting yourself earmarked as "think you are better then the rest"!! Don't apretiate the attitude!!

Other then that the farm was awesome!
Allthough i was in the cage and baby sitting nice to see some friendly faces. Allways someone irrespective of brand.Branding the bike and riders of specific bikes gat. On the gravel rode to the plaas i pulled over to let some bikes pass me. Some idiot on his KTM accelerates past throwing rocks up on the car. ??? Got your number mate. Hope it wasn't one of our WD's Gonna meet you somewhere sometime on the gravel ;D And gonna make a arse of you. ;D Will give you some lessons in riding. ;)
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Leo

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 08:04:41 pm »
Dankie vir die saamry. Twas very nice  ;)
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Rofstoffel

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Suid Afrika - Awesome!!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 08:07:07 pm »
My ride started with the Guys and girls who met at the Total garage (appology to Leo, there is a Shell Garage opposite the Total, I've never noted it. Made a point to look out for it)

Due to time constraint, I did the route finding myself, but met up on route with some BM owners! How awesome is the freedom of the open road and the Beauty & Serenity of some of our Gauteng & North-West roads!!

Some of my foudies: Top to Bottom

The Meat at the Total Garage
The open road from Harties towards Maropeng/Krugersdorp
The Cradle of Mankind (So they say...theoretically)
Me and my Horse
A bunch of Outdoor Lovers
"I will be back"...famous last words

Offline Tulip

• Shelly Beach
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:30:20 pm »
Huge thanks to Ryperd, GS Adventures and all else involved in organizing the open day!

What a lovely opportunity to ride so close to the zebra's and buck - we are definitely looking forward to that one night camp over on the farm!  Maybe we can also organize a horse ride with such a stay over ???

It is always a pleasure to my eyes to see so many "dirt"bikes together  ;D and the familiar faces  O0

On a personal note:  this has been a lovely day of building my confidence and just enjoying my Donkey, the ease of handling, the feeling of flying, cornering with grass and water covering your boots . . . (I could continue but need an early night) I AM GLAD TO BE BACK IN CONTROL  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D >:D

Left home at 7am, arrived home at 6:30pm and didn't even fall asleep on the road ::) which is a first for me  :-[

Proud of Donkey that still feels smooth even with a shot shock!!!  Hope to fix him soon because I can't wait for the next ride. . . might need to use Dragon for now

Offline Rofstoffel

• Suid Afrika - Awesome!!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 06:51:41 am »
Nog so paar foudies! Ek dink toe nou.....daar is al hierdie 'Outdoor Lovers' om my waarvan 'n hele paar WD's is en ek weet nie eers hoe lyk julle ous nie. Ek het gehelp om die man se 990S op-te-tel nadat se stand weggesak het, spieƫltjie af - duur val! Sorry my maat! Toe lees ek die manne om my was: Staalburger, Kykdaar, Blazes! Jammer ou's, ek het gin idee wie-is-wie nie! Dit sou nice gewees het om julle ou's te ontmoet! ??? ??? :)

Ek het hierby 'n foudie gelaai van "wie ek dink - Leo is", as dit jy is Leo, ek het jou in 2006 gevang op die Roundtrip van Loskopdam af! Ons het gestop vir petrol (Lyndhurst Ride) Jy het nog die Rooi 1200 gery! Ek het nog! ;D 8)
"I will be back"...famous last words

Offline adv950

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 07:10:09 am »
I'm posting this on behalf of Darrell as his internet is "diesel" powered on the farm and he struggles with anything that uses electricity :)

Thank you for everybody that came out to the farm for the day, we really appreciate the support you guys have shown.

I think darrell has allready tried to send out an e-mail to everyone. We will shortly send out details about the next event just have to sort out the details.

Tulip we will definitely make any of the facilities available that you guys want to use. So once we have sent out the invite please let us know what you would like to do and we can organise.

Once again thank you very much to all, it was great meeting you all.

Cheers
remember to greet all riders on the open road

JohnST

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 01:02:05 pm »
aaaa I met you then Rofstoffel!! Cause it was me and you that picked up the guy's KTM, he's bike fell on mine, but he definately was the unlucky one!

If my calculation is correct it was MetEish's bike that fell over!!  :D

Offline Leo

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 05:56:16 pm »
"wie ek dink - Leo is",

Hoev nie meer te twyfel nie - dis ek daai, nou net sonder die baardbek!

IDR in die agtergrond as ek reg onthou  8)

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 06:13:02 pm »
Fark. Al vergeet hoe lelik Leo is.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Leo

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 07:08:31 pm »
Fark. Al vergeet hoe lelik Leo is.

Hey ek ken 'n paar meisies wat nie so dink nie  ;D ;D ;D