Then the wheels came off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Up until 53 000km my DR, which has been carefully maintained and no expense spared, plus as an oldie it is not ridden as hard as my younger companions was a great reliable machine.
Then after a 1 000km odd trip into the Karoo it started making funny noises and the clutch lever would vibrate, which I put down to a well worn clutch and confidently took it to a knowledgable mechanic.
First diagnosis was a possible clutch basket needing replacement.
But once opened he found the main shaft bearings totally totalled.
And I thought a Suzuki DR was practically indestructable.
The final diagnosis is to split the motor and then - maybe, maybe, maybe not only the two bearings need replacing but oil pump, main bearings, possible piston and on and on and on as the filings from the shattered bearings may have scored the whole insides.
Possible guestimate anything from R15 000 upwards, "depending on what we find".
So for R55 000 less VAT R47 300 (thanks to being a VAT vendor) it was cheaper to buy a new and last model available and strip the old one, keep my IMS tank, steel brake lines, front and back wheels as offroaders and sell off the frame with progressive springs, new swing arm bearings etc.
Now this latest DR I will sell off at R30 000km.
And they are not indestructable.