1000 Hills Rally Kzn - 'Dakar type' road book rally - What a blast !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Badger

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Well....... as the first time this type of rally has been held in Kzn (that we know of) it was a real eye opener for the orginisers as well as the riders. :3some:

The aim of this event was to introduce riders to navigating with a roadbook as in the Dakar. It is not easy and puts a whole new aspect to riding a bike

Howard from Tr Tec Adventure was the host as well as the race director, Lamo and myself were in charge of the route and roadbook and Gundagunda helped translate the gps to readable language.
Everone met on Friday night for scrutineering and riders briefing.
In my briefing I cautioned the riders on any points of concern and danger areas and they then transferred that information to their roadbooks. This is so important and the riders had to pay attention because the race coud be lost if you miss one warning or tip.
Understanding and navigating using a roadbook is no easy task as every one found out. I think it is a great equaliser as even if you are a fast rider it wont help you if you cant navigate .....as we have seen in the Dakar.

Below is the first page of the roadbook.

Big block on left........................................................... Cumilative km's
Small block on right below the cumilative km's.............Distance between waypoints
Big block in centre.........................................................Tulip
Big block on right...........................................................Tulip description
Small block below description.......................................CAP(compass) Heading on exit of waypoint

The riders add info and warnings onto the roadbook at the briefing.

Attachments

• IMG_44612110751829.jpeg
    IMG_44612110751829.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 663