Tankwa Karoo - Solo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zagser

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR600
It has been a while since my last ride report, so let's see if the pictures are worth a thousand words...  8)

The past long weekend provided me with the opportunity to stretch the katoom's legs a bit.
It was not difficult to decide on the route, as I have had my first exposure to the Tankwa Karoo last year in September, and I promised myself that I will explore this beautiful, arid area by bike.

The reason why I drove through the Tankwa:  :deal:

Yes, that was the 2013 WegRy Bullrun.
What a blast!

Anyway, back to my trip.

I started off on the Friday, with the bike loaded and me ready for some helmet time.

Day 1 took me from home, over Bain's pass through Wellington and Ceres and from there onto a gravel highway known as the R355.

The view from Bain's pass.

I refuelled at Ceres, and not long after that, my weekend started in all earnest.

I booked a camping spot at Isle of Sky farm.
I read some negative comments about the owner complaining about bikers not closing the gates on his farm, but upon enquiry was assured that adventure bikes were always welcome.  :thumleft:

A few kilometres after Tankwa padstal I turned off the R355 on the road to the Tanka national park.
About 40km after the turnoff I turned in at Isle of Sky.

Played around a bit when I came upon this Anglia carcass...

And continued on my merry way to campsite no. 1.

And this is what I found:

Basic but very nice ablutions.

And a campsite where I will spend the night.

And so I settle down for the night with a nice cup of freshly brewed coffee.

I love dirt...  :ricky:

Storing my boots for the night, making sure that nothing decides to settle in them.  :eek:

Getting a nice fire going.

And enjoying the amazing sunset.

And this was where I slept.

No cell phone reception, no electricity and no tent.
This was simply mind-blowing.
I cannot remember when last have I been able to see the stars in such a majestic display of beauty.
I had a good night's rest!

Day 2 saw me get up bright and early for a breakfast of rusks and oatso easy.

My route for the day was Sutherland via Ouberg pass, and then back to the tankwa, and then onto Middelpos and eventually Calvinia via Gannaka pass.

This was definitely the highlight of the weekend.
I have just fallen in love with the Tankwa.
The photos will speak for themselves...

And onto Ouberg.

The first part of the pass was a bit washed out, with some chunky rocks used to repair the road, which had the heart rate upped for a few kilometres.

This was taken halfway up the pass.

I stopped in Sutherland to replenish my water supply, and also noticed that the local children were content with going on their merry way, without the usual small town begging.
This must be a first.

Then back on the road on the R354 and onto the Tanka national park where I took the road to Gannaka pass.
The road was washed away for some distance, but the pass itself was in a great condition.

Taking a break along the way.

And then onto the pass itself.

And the road to Middelpos.

I then went on to Calvinia where I booked onto a local guesthouse and went to bed early.

The next day I again took the R355 from Calvinia to Ceres, and then via Villiersdorp home.

Stick to the tracks, and you prevent the bike from fishtailing...  O0

And some more along the R355.

Arrived home safe and sound and refreshed.
This will definitely not be the last time I see the Tankwa from the seat of a bike!