Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2013 1200 GS LC: Broken Frame  (Read 9365 times)

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
Re: 2013 1200 GS LC: Broken Frame
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2014, 08:59:37 pm »
I think it is mainly some dealers that will give you problems, and others not. Our dealership is mostly useless. The guy that works on the bikes is excellent, but he does not make the decisions on what can be replaced and what not. That is where the problem lies.

I think there is not enough reliance on the expert mechanic's opinion, and the dealerships are intent on not losing money by honouring their best service at all times agreements...

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2014, 07:10:35 pm »
No it's not just you Jakkels.

But what if I put it to you that your front tire could burst at any time? No matter what bike you ride. And you could die because of that.

Now I put it to you to stop riding.

What if I put it to you a car could take you out? Now stop riding.

We have a risky means of getting around. We manage the risks. I also check my bike and trust the statistics. Statistically, more LC's are taken out by accidents than by failure of the front fork. According to the reports we could gather.

It does not mean I'm not checking mine...

True, the risk is always there but that is live,,

But will you step on a ladder if you know the ladder is cracked, or will you rather use the ladder without any cracks and the biggest risk is for the ladder to slip ,,,,  both have their risk, the one is just a more common risk ,,,,,,

Will you refuse to use your ladder because you have seen on the internet, that some dude who you don't know had a ladder broken?

I am more interested in how and why. Both pieces of information are glaringly absent creating the impression that the bikes broke for no reason.

I do not know the exact circumstance that caused each bike's frame to crack.  If Jason's was the only one whose frame broke, then it would be easy to point to his riding style and pictures he's posted of himself airborne on it.  However, the three other GS/A's he's owned prior to the '13 model were also "jumped" occasionally and never broke.  I do not know Mick and Chris to be guys who jump their bikes (like Jason) or ride them recklessly or any more severe than the bikes are marketed.  I know these guys well and have ridden with them quite a few times.  Mick is actually quite a tame rider; something we kid him for mercilessly.  I don't jump my GSA either.  About the only air it gets is jumping water bars and in that case the rear wheel may only get a few inches of air.

I think it's obvious this new '13 LC frame style has a weak point and we also know it's something BMW has chosen to address part way into the '14 production line.  If I owned one of these bikes, I'd just keep an eye on that area for metal fatigue and avoid jumping it.  I still think they're fine bikes.  Every bike out there has an issue or two.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2014, 08:19:44 pm »
No it's not just you Jakkels.

But what if I put it to you that your front tire could burst at any time? No matter what bike you ride. And you could die because of that.

Now I put it to you to stop riding.

What if I put it to you a car could take you out? Now stop riding.

We have a risky means of getting around. We manage the risks. I also check my bike and trust the statistics. Statistically, more LC's are taken out by accidents than by failure of the front fork. According to the reports we could gather.

It does not mean I'm not checking mine...

True, the risk is always there but that is live,,

But will you step on a ladder if you know the ladder is cracked, or will you rather use the ladder without any cracks and the biggest risk is for the ladder to slip ,,,,  both have their risk, the one is just a more common risk ,,,,,,

Will you refuse to use your ladder because you have seen on the internet, that some dude who you don't know had a ladder broken?

I am more interested in how and why. Both pieces of information are glaringly absent creating the impression that the bikes broke for no reason.

I do not know the exact circumstance that caused each bike's frame to crack.  If Jason's was the only one whose frame broke, then it would be easy to point to his riding style and pictures he's posted of himself airborne on it.  However, the three other GS/A's he's owned prior to the '13 model were also "jumped" occasionally and never broke.  I do not know Mick and Chris to be guys who jump their bikes (like Jason) or ride them recklessly or any more severe than the bikes are marketed.  I know these guys well and have ridden with them quite a few times.  Mick is actually quite a tame rider; something we kid him for mercilessly.  I don't jump my GSA either.  About the only air it gets is jumping water bars and in that case the rear wheel may only get a few inches of air.

I think it's obvious this new '13 LC frame style has a weak point and we also know it's something BMW has chosen to address part way into the '14 production line.  If I owned one of these bikes, I'd just keep an eye on that area for metal fatigue and avoid jumping it.  I still think they're fine bikes.  Every bike out there has an issue or two.

:thumleft:

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2014, 09:03:30 am »
Hi guys, do not know whether this is an issue, but here goes. I ride a Jan 2014 model, when I lift the front wheel to go over a pothole or rut, not a wheely, just lifting the wheel slightly to go over the obstacle, I hear (feel) a distinctive "clack" sound. Should I be worried, anybody else experienced this?

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2014, 10:21:22 am »
Hi guys, do not know whether this is an issue, but here goes. I ride a Jan 2014 model, when I lift the front wheel to go over a pothole or rut, not a wheely, just lifting the wheel slightly to go over the obstacle, I hear (feel) a distinctive "clack" sound. Should I be worried, anybody else experienced this?

No, I've not experienced it. When you say "feel" you mean through the handlebars?

It could be many things, but I would have the dealer check it out. Just make sure you go to a dealer that has muffins  ;)
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2014, 02:21:57 pm »
Yip, through the handlebars.

Will check the muffins before going to BM :laughing4: